5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Transmission problem (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/transmission-problem-3715/)

Jimbo 10-17-2004 12:39 AM

Seems like we should make a master list of all our problems and which car has which problem and send in a letter to BMW signed by Lomag or Iceman.

Guest 10-17-2004 02:16 AM

[SIZE=14][quote name='dvw' date='Oct 15 2004, 07:32 AM']
Hi,

Since I got my car (may 2004) I'm having problems with the auto tranny (I think it's the transmission)
I will do my best the explain the situation/problem.
When I drive my car at 80-90 km/h and when I floor the pedal, the transmission makes ' a hiccup ( :ermm: no other way to explain this), it's . It's not a hesitation like described in other topics here online of having to wait almost a second before the accelaration takes place, but a real mechanical issue (between 3-4 and also 4-5 gear). Sometimes a real hard bounce, my passengers ask me 'what the hell was that!' :'(
My dealer told me it could be a software issue, but after installing 13.23 I still have this problem. The longer this continues, the more I'm getting sure that indeed a mechanical problem is the cause. :angry:

Another time I visited my dealer there was an engineer from BMW Belgium, he told my keep driving until the problem was getting too serious (I wouldn't have to be afraid that my car would stop driving, he said :wacko: ). Then they would change my transmission (under warranty of course)
Thing is: I don't want to wait until this happens, I want a car that runs perfect (well considering the software-issues, that's too optimistic) not a car that has the hiccup!!

Someone else having this problem?

Have you tried turning off the DSC completely and/or using the steptronic

to see if the problem goes away?

oreo 10-20-2004 10:05 PM

Just wanted to add a reply to mention that I have the same problem with the Steptronic on my 530d. When I complained at the dealer they first gave me the "never heard about it" routine but then at least checked the fault memory (nothing there) and reset the gearbox. Have not had any problem with the harsh mechanical noices after that, but have not dared to try to replicate the fault. The problems with wandering rpms and the inability of the gearbox to decide which gear to use has not been better though.

sam530 10-20-2004 10:21 PM

[attachment=3223:attachment]I just got my car back from my Inspection 1 and when I downshift from 4th to 3rd my transmission jerks for a second. It didn't happen today. Now I'm considering buying the extended warranty to 100K miles.

alohalc 10-20-2004 10:43 PM

welcome aboard, sam530 :thumbsup:! please post some pics of your babe ;).

Iceman 10-21-2004 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome aboard, sam530 Attachment 2812!

streak 11-08-2004 08:06 AM

The problem with the mechanical grating noise on kickdown has been recognised by both BMW and ZF (the gear box manufacturer) as a fault. The suggested fix is the replacement of the transmission (gearbox, torque converter etc. etc. all in one unit).

This is supposed to also take care of erratic idling, gear hunting etc. etc.
My car is in at the monment having this done and also the upgrade to CIP 14 software and the eprogramming of all control units.

Will let the group know as soon as I have the car back about any difference.

Streak

oreo 11-08-2004 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by streak' date='Nov 8 2004, 05:06 PM
The problem with the mechanical grating noise on kickdown has been recognised by both BMW and ZF (the gear box manufacturer) as a fault. The suggested fix is the replacement of the transmission (gearbox, torque converter etc. etc. all in one unit).

This is supposed to also take care of erratic idling, gear hunting etc. etc.
My car is in at the monment having this done and also the upgrade to CIP 14 software and the eprogramming of all control units.

Will let the group know as soon as I have the car back about any difference.

Streak
[snapback]53848[/snapback]

This sounds like really interesting news! Can you give us any reference that we can use in a discussion with our dealers?

Thanks!

dvw 11-09-2004 01:07 AM

Wow,

at least some informative news about my problem.
Since I started this topic, I tried to get used to the problem :( until I got the new software update (V14).
Now that it seems to be mechanical problem :angry: ... I will call my dealer to replace the transmission. (after getting the feedback from streak)

Streak, where did you get this information?

streak 11-09-2004 02:06 AM

DVW,OREO, others.
As mentioned, BMW SA contacted BMW and ZF AG in connection with the problem. Naturally they would rather not admit to these kinds of problems, however in support of my complaint I copied them the complaints from the E60 forums (yes we are even more famous now) and they could not ignore the problem with so many of us complaining about the same thing.

They agreed that what we were experiencing was an isolated problem and that certian components in the transmission were at fault.
It would however make the job a lot easier to replace the whole transmission as this would include all the components at fault.

They are busy with the car now and I should have it back Thursday. They gave me a 735i loaner which makes me miss my 530D even more!!

DVW, have you noticed any performance changes with V14? What other changes have you noticed?

Streak