E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Guest_Peter_*

Hi

I'm in Switzerland and have the same problem with my 530d. Dealer is not able to fix it.

Best regards,

Peter
Old 10-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I've got the same 'hickup' problem, when dirving slow but contiuous speed (like in a traffic jam at 50km/h). But the real strange thing is, I have a manual gearbox !

So if it is the same problem, I don't think it is a software problem. (The idrive probably has nothing to do with a a manual gearbox or the pedal response in that case)

I haven't been to the dealer with this issue yet. I hop e to do this soon.

Ps: doesn't anyone think it's strange that the iDrive is linked to your pedal/ automatic gearbox. I'ld hope there would be a much stabler component for such a important thing. (Think about it, MS software in such a critical place :'( !)
Old 10-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Contributors

We have seen a number of forum members complain about transmission irregularities. I have not kept count but estimate several dozen or more have reported transmission hiccough, transmission hesitation or other shifting issues. I expect there are many more who don't realise they may have such a problem. What I don't know is how many owners actually have no transmission issues like those reported here? I suspect anyone that purchases one of these cars has enough intelligence to recognize a problem.
So, what I propose is that everyone in the forum chime in by way of a poll, whether they have a transmission problem or not, however small. Since BMW can't respond directly to us, this is the only way to assess if there is a sytemic problem worthy of a recall, or it is truly an occasional fault. After enough complaints, a recall or service repair under warranty would be due. Since a recall has not happened yet, there have not been enough complaints worldwide. Together, we may be able to make a case. Otherwise, BMW will possibly fix the problems one at a time. We know about 'no problem found'.

comments?
Old 10-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Senior Members

For the first 3-4 months I had a "lag" when flooring it. I don't seem to have that problem now but I'll be more thorough in testing it now that I hear others have similar problems.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Poplar Grain wood interior trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Premium Package, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC automatic transmission, Active Steering, Xenon Adaptive Headlights with dynamic auto-leveling.

The more and more I read this seems to be a common problem. I believe this partially has to do with that the gas pedal is an electronic response and not wire cabled. This should be corrected either through a timing adjustion to pedal movement or a software change. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:37 PM
Members

Hi I testdrove a 520i Automatic for a weekend in may this year when I was at the time that I was taking a desision what new car to buy. I did notice these problems too at that time. I also made a testdrive in the new Audi A6 when it was released earlier this year and that car had exactly the same problems. As for as far as I now the transmissions come from the same manufacturerer called ZF. I think it's not a BMW only problem. Strange thing is that my new car that was delivered in september this year does luckily not have these problems.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:34 PM
Contributors

Hi Wolfspur,

I'm quite sure that it is not an electronical or software problem, as the problem not is a delay..

The problem is more that the engine takes the gas, but the gearbox doesn't react quickly enough, and thats where the noice comes in.

I share the opinion that we should try to organize a common e-mail to BMW, as everybody seems to get the same answer as I got from my dealer : "Sorry, but You seems to be the only BMW owner with that problem..."

Regards,

Peter
Old 10-16-2004, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

As I'm sure you know, I have endless transmission problems with our 6 speed. They always say it's normal, but everyone who drives the car, EXCEPT of course all of the BMW people, say, "What is wrong with your car?" It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out the transmission is massively screwed up!
Old 10-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by plindegaard' date='Oct 16 2004, 01:34 PM
I share the opinion that we should try to organize a common e-mail to BMW, as everybody seems to get the same answer as I got from my dealer : "Sorry, but You seems to be the only BMW owner with that problem..."
[snapback]45592[/snapback]
That's almost as good as "it's normal" for an answer to a problem that they can't/won't solve; like the loud ticking of my electronic radiator thermostat. At least that's what the tell me.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:39 PM
Contributors

That settles it. I will perform the experiment and create a poll. I have not tried to do it yet.

Quick Reply: Transmission problem