E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you have a shifting or hesitation problem with your Steptronic?
no problem with my 525
12.28%
some problem with my 525
1.75%
no problem with my 530
28.07%
some problem with my 530
19.30%
no problem with my 545
28.07%
some problem with my 545
7.02%
don't know (if I have a transmission problem)
3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission Poll by model

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 09:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have seen a number of forum members complain about transmission irregularities. I have not kept count but estimate several dozen or more have reported transmission hiccough, transmission hesitation or other shifting issues. I expect there are many more who don't realise they may have such a problem. What I don't know is how many owners actually have no transmission issues like those reported here? I suspect anyone that purchases one of these cars has enough intelligence to recognize a problem. The problem may be masked by an engine (meaning computer) response due to their being tied together. Nearly all of the problems have been with Steptronic, so the poll reflects that.
What I proposed was that everyone in the forum chime in by way of this poll, whether they have a transmission problem or not, however small. Since BMW can't legally respond directly to us, this is the only way to assess if there is a systemic problem worthy of a recall, or it is truly an occasional fault. After enough complaints, a recall or service repair under warranty would be due. Since a recall has not happened yet, there must not have been enough complaints worldwide. Together, we may be able to make a case. Otherwise, BMW will possibly fix the problems one at a time. (If at all) We know about 'no problem found'.
This originated in another thread about transmission problems.
In case the problems are model specific, these questions will address that. If all models are affected, a final total can be made afterwards. I will consider both diesel and non diesel as the same, but that might be a mistake. I also say 520=525 for now. Due to the nature of this forum, this poll might be missed by infrequent readers, so I recommend keeping it going for more than just a day or two; if that is possible.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:04 PM
Contributors

I am replying to put this version of poll to top of list. This is the good one. Need to put it top of list.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:05 PM
Senior Members

you made me vote twice ! nah, j/k . i had my s/w updated yesterday, version 13.2, and expecting it'll help as some of the board members mentioned earlier. i found the problem is gone...at the very beginning <_<. i didn't drive it long/far enough to test it but this morning i paid close attention to it and it's still there . but i think it happens less than before . i'll do more driving tonight and tomorrow (yes, another excuse for me to drive this car ). will keep you guys posted .
Old 10-16-2004, 10:11 PM
Senior Members

sg530

U left out the model 520 !!! grrr......

Bunbun.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Contributors

I was afraid of running out of answers and space. Another set of choices for the diesels was needed too. So I am assuming model number whether i or d as the same. My opinion is 520=525 as far as this poll goes. The transmission is likely the same. I don't know how different these models are.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:59 PM
Contributors

So far,with only 13 answers, it looks like 545 owners do not have the problem some of us have.This fits the pattern from posts a few months back when these problems were first mentioned. I would like to see more poll answers from the hundreds of of other members.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sg530' date='Oct 18 2004, 04:59 PM
So far,with only 13 answers, it looks like 545 owners do not have the problem some of us have.This fits the pattern from posts a few months back when these problems were first mentioned.? I would like to see more poll answers from the hundreds of of other members.

[snapback]46585[/snapback]
and only bunbun and i posted .
Old 10-19-2004, 06:05 PM
Contributors

Since yesterday we doubled the number of responses!
I will guess more responses were from happy customers.
We need more poll responses. The statistics are only now beginning to develop.

Old 10-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Contributors

Only 31 responses?
Certainly there are people in finding out the truth?
DO tell us if you have NO problem with your Steptronic.

The tendency is to hear the squeaky wheel and not hear praise or that you have no problem. It is about a year since people had the 5's and it is OK to tell us if there is a bug in the transmission shifting. I certainly have.

Those that have other transmissions, you shouldn't worry because there have been few complaints about them.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:01 PM
Senior Members

i have my car back after s/w, version 13.2, updated over a week and at first i thought it'll solve the problem but not at all . i was kind of pissed so i popped it to ds mode and my gf always thinks that i'm trying to drive fast <_<.

Quick Reply: Transmission Poll by model