E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

I changed transmission oil last week and I left car on ramp for over night such that I could put on the 2 under covers in day time. The next day, I saw a small puddle of oil on driveway. Upon further tracing, I saw transmission oil coming down from the rear-passenger side of the transmission. Oil was from a plastic connector right above the passenger side rear corner of the transmission. I cleaned up the oil and monitor 1 more day. It leaked slowly again from the lower edge of that connector.

I searched Internet and found that this connector is so called the Mechatronics sleeve. It has an O-ring which will wear out over time and then leak starts. I am glad that I found the leak after I changed the transmission fluid. Otherwise, I would not see the leak until the oil drip down to ground via the under cover. I will let the dealer to look into this problem. I hope that the cost to fix the connector O-ring won't be too expensive as my car is out of warranty for a while !!!

We should check the transmission after 50k miles to make sure that that O-ring is still good - no leak......
Old 03-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Premium, Nav, Ipod

Can you please advise how many miles you had prior to the transmission oil change.
Just interested to know how many miles the o-ring lasted.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMW535' post='824688' date='Mar 23 2009, 03:49 PM
Can you please advise how many miles you had prior to the transmission oil change.
Just interested to know how many miles the o-ring lasted.
I just changed mine (tranny fluid) at 51k miles. So for those who still under warranty, it does not hurt to remove the 2 undercovers and check the electrical connector to see any leak.

When I removed my car's under covers, I saw that most of the tranny oil pan screws were rusty !!! They should not be like that because of the under cover protection from water and snow.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by lcc014' post='824532' date='Mar 24 2009, 01:10 AM
I changed transmission oil last week and I left car on ramp for over night such that I could put on the 2 under covers in day time. The next day, I saw a small puddle of oil on driveway. Upon further tracing, I saw transmission oil coming down from the rear-passenger side of the transmission. Oil was from a plastic connector right above the passenger side rear corner of the transmission. I cleaned up the oil and monitor 1 more day. It leaked slowly again from the lower edge of that connector.

I searched Internet and found that this connector is so called the Mechatronics sleeve. It has an O-ring which will wear out over time and then leak starts. I am glad that I found the leak after I changed the transmission fluid. Otherwise, I would not see the leak until the oil drip down to ground via the under cover. I will let the dealer to look into this problem. I hope that the cost to fix the connector O-ring won't be too expensive as my car is out of warranty for a while !!!

We should check the transmission after 50k miles to make sure that that O-ring is still good - no leak......
my O-ring needs to be change too, the leak is very slow right now and the makanic say itis OK for now.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package Limo Tinted, Heads up display, Fully Loaded Minus Cold Weather Package and Rear window Sunshades.

Tip of advice in case anyone doesn't know... NEVER SERVICE YOU TRANSMISSION ANYWHERE BUT BMW if you car is still under warranty or it will be VOIDED!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jrowe' post='825220' date='Mar 24 2009, 03:01 PM
Tip of advice in case anyone doesn't know... NEVER SERVICE YOU TRANSMISSION ANYWHERE BUT BMW if you car is still under warranty or it will be VOIDED!
it not just the tranny, it every thing apart from oil change (but dont reset the idive when changing the oil)
Old 03-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package Limo Tinted, Heads up display, Fully Loaded Minus Cold Weather Package and Rear window Sunshades.

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='825225' date='Mar 23 2009, 11:17 PM
it not just the tranny, it every thing apart from oil change (but dont reset the idive when changing the oil)

I got a shitty story for you, my buddy just told me about the other day.

He used to be a mechanic at KIA, and was telling me about how this guy came in, and purchased a BMW 745li with 33k Miles still under warranty. PAID IN CASH.

He left with the car, and about 2 weeks later was having problems with the transmission. So he brought it back to KIA, and didn't know what was wrong with it. So according to my friend, he was ordered by the service manager to service the transmission... and he replied "are you sure?" "I don't think your supposed to service these." The service manager having no knowledge of BMW's said SERVICE THE TRANSMISSION!

My friend serviced it, flushed the fluid, and replaced it. The guy left, and had the car back about 1 week later on a flatbed tow truck. Transmission completely ruined.

The guy who had the car had driven just over 1000 miles of having it so was out of the return policy. BMW completely voided the warranty on the car due to KIA's negligence.

The guy had to pay Over $14,000 to have the car fixed!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jrowe' post='825239' date='Mar 24 2009, 03:43 PM
I got a shitty story for you, my buddy just told me about the other day.

He used to be a mechanic at KIA, and was telling me about how this guy came in, and purchased a BMW 745li with 33k Miles still under warranty. PAID IN CASH.

He left with the car, and about 2 weeks later was having problems with the transmission. So he brought it back to KIA, and didn't know what was wrong with it. So according to my friend, he was ordered by the service manager to service the transmission... and he replied "are you sure?" "I don't think your supposed to service these." The service manager having no knowledge of BMW's said SERVICE THE TRANSMISSION!

My friend serviced it, flushed the fluid, and replaced it. The guy left, and had the car back about 1 week later on a flatbed tow truck. Transmission completely ruined.

The guy who had the car had driven just over 1000 miles of having it so was out of the return policy. BMW completely voided the warranty on the car due to KIA's negligence.

The guy had to pay Over $14,000 to have the car fixed!
I bet he was using KIA oil to flush it
Old 03-24-2009, 05:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

oh that is awful!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='825175' date='Mar 24 2009, 01:57 AM
my O-ring needs to be change too, the leak is very slow right now and the makanic say itis OK for now.
Just dropped off the car to dealer. They will look into it and change the O-ring. I have extended warranty on my car. If extended warranty does not cover the cost, dealer will do that as a good will. Will see ....

Also, dealer will do the airbag seat mat recall today.

Quick Reply: Transmission Oil Leak