E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: The UDM
Smile

Hello all. Here is the case. Going at around 90-100 km/h ( I believe 5th or 6th gear ), start accelerating hard, kick-down = Transmission Malfunction message. No gear till it reduces speed to ~70km/h, sticks into 3d, I believe, at high revs. The problem always goes away when i restart the car.
Been to dealership , they have changed the ATF and updated all the software. However the problem is still here. Very disappointing
It's an 05 530i.

Thanx for help !
Old 01-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 545

Originally Posted by InFBMW' post='1087693' date='Jan 10 2010, 12:01 PM
Hello all. Here is the case. Going at around 90-100 km/h ( I believe 5th or 6th gear ), start accelerating hard, kick-down = Transmission Malfunction message. No gear till it reduces speed to ~70km/h, sticks into 3d, I believe, at high revs. The problem always goes away when i restart the car.
Been to dealership , they have changed the ATF and updated all the software. However the problem is still here. Very disappointing
It's an 05 530i.

Thanx for help !
that sucks
Old 01-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Contributors

Oh man thats horrible. I hope you get it taken care of. =(
Old 01-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Contributors

Sounds like a transmission failure waiting to happen ... sorry man I don't think fluid or software are going to fix this one for you. How many miles on your car? If it's low enough (say fewer than 100K miles), and there are no signs of abuse, maybe BMW will consider helping to defray the cost for a replacement transmission if one is required.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Have you specifically had the transmission module updated? There is a known SIB on hard kickdowns on 05 E60s. I had the same problem, had the transmission module updated and it's much better. Another possibility is leakage of the ATF from the known mechatronic sleeve. If they filled the ATF fluid up (which is a life time fluid), maybe there is a leak in the system which needs to be investigated....

I would bring these two possibilities to the attention of the dealer and have them investigate.... Goodluck....
S
Old 01-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Members

Yes you are right, there was a leak, however, they replaced the seal. Thank you all for advice, I am going to the dealership again soon.
Luigi: car is 60k miles. I have an aftermarket warranty, Hope they will cover it all.

P.S. Still love my car

Cheers!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Members

i know i am going to sound like a broken record, but change the battery with a new one....... read about how important the batteries are on these cars and they need full power to make every electronic function right
Old 01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Jet Black over Beige Dakota Leather/Premium pkg/Cold Weather pkg/Steptronic/Xenons/Folding rear seats w/ Ski bag Retired- 1973 2002 Inka Orange over Black/Dual Weber 40 DCOE Side Draft Carbs/Ansa Exhaust/VDO Gauges

I had a similar experience. My issue was a gasket around the transmission pan generating a leak. When the dealership fixed it under CPO, they also replaced the pan itself, because I was told it is plastic and prone to hairline cracks, and also replaced the connector sleeve. They apparently didn't seat the connector sleve properly however, so today on the highway I got the transmission fault and the car locked in second gear. Mine would not reset, because the system is a vacuum one and the seleve was unseated. They fixed the first under CPO and the second at their cost. For what it is worth, my brother has a 330 that had a transnmission error that would register and reset, but his issue turned out to be a wheel sensor throwing the code. Best of luck to you.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by InFBMW' post='1088566' date='Jan 11 2010, 09:51 PM
Yes you are right, there was a leak, however, they replaced the seal. Thank you all for advice, I am going to the dealership again soon.
Luigi: car is 60k miles. I have an aftermarket warranty, Hope they will cover it all.
P.S. Still love my car
Cheers!
60K miles ... way way way too low miles for transmission failures. Unless they are claiming [and can prove] the car has been abused I'd urge that BMW play a BIG BIG BIG part [= pay for] in the repair of this problem.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Members

Puled out a code with Peake tool: 299A (error management EGS). Not a clue what that is.

Quick Reply: Transmission Malfunction