5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   transmission kick (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/transmission-kick-112659/)

Amir545 05-03-2011 02:35 PM

I had the same problem and just fixed it! cost $1100.
Mine came from doing too many doughnuts and attempted drifts!
Its was my rear diff! the gearbox was messed up and there were pieces flying around in it! I got lucky that it didnt effect the tranny cuz that costs around 5k!

good luck!

JR's Bimmer 05-03-2011 06:28 PM

I have the same problem on my 550i. It kicks from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st (Sounds confusing as hell, I know...lol) I've taken the car to the dealer 3 times already. The first time they did a program update and it fixed some of it. The second time they replaced the mechatronics which also fixed it a little but you could still feel some kick. The third time they told me that BMW approved a new tranny, so that's where it's going tomorrow. Hope you get it all fixed.

carlos916 05-03-2011 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by k Wang (Post 1338003)
I have a 2005 545i and had the similar problem. The dealer found the problem and replaced the "Mechatronics unit". After that, the problem solved.

how did they diagnose it? my dealer said the only way they can diagnose something is if a light comes on ie. transmission light

Originally Posted by Amir545 (Post 1338011)
I had the same problem and just fixed it! cost $1100.
Mine came from doing too many doughnuts and attempted drifts!
Its was my rear diff! the gearbox was messed up and there were pieces flying around in it! I got lucky that it didnt effect the tranny cuz that costs around 5k!

good luck!

LMAO.. i was thinking of doing the same that way i can get a fault but i didtn wana break n e thing else.. n e ways the tanny is acting up and i didnt even do anything :P but yeah ill just have to sit and wait to see what happens

Originally Posted by JR's Bimmer (Post 1338063)
I have the same problem on my 550i. It kicks from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st (Sounds confusing as hell, I know...lol) I've taken the car to the dealer 3 times already. The first time they did a program update and it fixed some of it. The second time they replaced the mechatronics which also fixed it a little but you could still feel some kick. The third time they told me that BMW approved a new tranny, so that's where it's going tomorrow. Hope you get it all fixed.

wow.. keep us updated.. hopefully everything works out as well.. also how did u go about getting everything diagnosed? did ur transmission light come on?

JR's Bimmer 05-04-2011 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by carlos916 (Post 1338117)
how did they diagnose it? my dealer said the only way they can diagnose something is if a light comes on ie. transmission light

LMAO.. i was thinking of doing the same that way i can get a fault but i didtn wana break n e thing else.. n e ways the tanny is acting up and i didnt even do anything :P but yeah ill just have to sit and wait to see what happens

wow.. keep us updated.. hopefully everything works out as well.. also how did u go about getting everything diagnosed? did ur transmission light come on?

I went ahead and took the car in today and I should get it back Friday. I didn't have it diagnosed right away. I felt that the tranny was acting up so I went ahead and took it in. They tried all they were told to try but it never took care of the problem so BMW went ahead and approved the tranny replacement. I will keep you updated as soon as I get it back.

carlos916 05-05-2011 11:19 AM

^Nice I wouldn't mind a new tranny also.. Shoot if it wasnt to expensive I'd say drop a manual trans and I would pay the diffrence lol but yeah keep us updated !

chokin 07-08-2011 08:25 AM

SO my car is outta warranty and 4k sounds too much for me. So my question is what would happen if i dont get this fixed? Have anyone here just take it and drive it without bother replacing it?