E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission judder...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My transmission has a "judder" between 38-42 mph at around 1400 rpm. The 1st time the dealer had it, they did the usual tramsmission reset. Now, at the dealer for the 2nd time, they are in the process of replacing the "mechatronic module". Has anyone gone through this? Was it fixed?

Dean
Old 06-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Deano' post='911288' date='Jun 14 2009, 02:17 PM
My transmission has a "judder" between 38-42 mph at around 1400 rpm. The 1st time the dealer had it, they did the usual tramsmission reset. Now, at the dealer for the 2nd time, they are in the process of replacing the "mechatronic module". Has anyone gone through this? Was it fixed?

Dean
I have read of two other members getting that module replaced. I am pretty sure that module was busted on my car aswell, but the dealer ended up replacing my tranny all together.
I think replacing that module with solve the issue
Old 06-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

How much does that module cost?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='911346' date='Jun 14 2009, 04:15 PM
How much does that module cost?
I have no idea. the Service assistant and the technician had to confer with the shop foreman on whether to get BMW NA to replace the tranny. I was hoping this was the case because I only have 6 months until i'm out of my extended warrantee. When they said they were going to replace the module, I was a little disappointed, but if it works, I'll be happy.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Deano' post='912197' date='Jun 15 2009, 02:07 PM
I have no idea. the Service assistant and the technician had to confer with the shop foreman on whether to get BMW NA to replace the tranny. I was hoping this was the case because I only have 6 months until i'm out of my extended warrantee. When they said they were going to replace the module, I was a little disappointed, but if it works, I'll be happy.
Hi, but since you have documented the problem during the extended warranty period, they would have to honor future claims if the problem doesn't go away.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SPF Cobra #1019

My '05 545i is at the local BMW dealer "as I type" for the same problem. The problem is with the torque converter engaging/disengaging, repeatedly every 3 to 7 seconds, under steady throttle, going between 35 and 42 MPH. For me, this has been an intermittent problem - the problem would start happening, then something would change (rain, using the A/C a lot, etc...), and then the problem would not occur for days (sometimes weeks). But it would always come back... So, it seems to me that it is an issue with the computer somehow entering some "problematic" mode. When it is in the "mode", the problem can also be reproduced on the hiway: get to 55MPH or higher, then shift into "DS", and keep the throttle steady, and it will start the engaging/disengaging "hickups". It seems like the computer reads that I'm applying steady throttle, the car is rolling along with little resistence (flat surface, tires inflated properly, etc...) and it wants to engage the torque converter to lower the RPMs, however as soon as it engages the torque converter, it senses that the RPMs are too low for the current load/resistence and it disengages the torque converter. When this happens, it feels like the engine is missing, or a feeling of it having the "hickups" or "slight jerking". However, given how the problem is reproducible (when it's in the mode), it's clearly the transmission.

Two times my car has been at the local dealer for this problem, and the foreman could not reproduce the problem both times. Yet, just last week the problem came back, and I called the local BMW dealer, and told'em "It's happening NOW. Can I bring it to you NOW?". They said, "Yes", so the shop foreman hopped in, and I took him for ride and reproduced the problem at both low speed and high speed.

He said that my car has the latest/greatest software release, and the fluid is fine, blah, blah, blah, there's nothing more he can check. So, he's gonna contact BMW-NA (and Germany, if needed) to see how they want to handle it. He feels that there is nothing more he can do, expect replace the transmission. But that's just talk for now... I should know more hopefully in a few days. We'll see...
Old 06-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Cobra 427' post='912294' date='Jun 15 2009, 04:17 PM
My '05 545i is at the local BMW dealer "as I type" for the same problem. The problem is with the torque converter engaging/disengaging, repeatedly every 3 to 7 seconds, under steady throttle, going between 35 and 42 MPH. For me, this has been an intermittent problem - the problem would start happening, then something would change (rain, using the A/C a lot, etc...), and then the problem would not occur for days (sometimes weeks). But it would always come back... So, it seems to me that it is an issue with the computer somehow entering some "problematic" mode. When it is in the "mode", the problem can also be reproduced on the hiway: get to 55MPH or higher, then shift into "DS", and keep the throttle steady, and it will start the engaging/disengaging "hickups". It seems like the computer reads that I'm applying steady throttle, the car is rolling along with little resistence (flat surface, tires inflated properly, etc...) and it wants to engage the torque converter to lower the RPMs, however as soon as it engages the torque converter, it senses that the RPMs are too low for the current load/resistence and it disengages the torque converter. When this happens, it feels like the engine is missing, or a feeling of it having the "hickups" or "slight jerking". However, given how the problem is reproducible (when it's in the mode), it's clearly the transmission.

Two times my car has been at the local dealer for this problem, and the foreman could not reproduce the problem both times. Yet, just last week the problem came back, and I called the local BMW dealer, and told'em "It's happening NOW. Can I bring it to you NOW?". They said, "Yes", so the shop foreman hopped in, and I took him for ride and reproduced the problem at both low speed and high speed.

He said that my car has the latest/greatest software release, and the fluid is fine, blah, blah, blah, there's nothing more he can check. So, he's gonna contact BMW-NA (and Germany, if needed) to see how they want to handle it. He feels that there is nothing more he can do, expect replace the transmission. But that's just talk for now... I should know more hopefully in a few days. We'll see...
Yes, what you discribe is exactly what I'm experiencing, although I haven't experienced anything on the highway yet. You seem to know a bit more about tramsmissions than I, do you think replacing the mechatronic module is a possible solution? Please keep me posted with your situation, and I'll let you know how I make out.

thanks,

Dean
Old 06-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Members

My SA just called to inform me that they replaced the mechtronics module of the transmission and that the shop foreman wants to "QC" the car for a few days. He expects to release it to me on Friday.

I've read on other "transmission" posts of other people who had transmission problems (most notably the "slam") who had the mechtronics module replaced; and these owners reported success that this change solved the problem.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry885060

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Stay tuned...

Regards,
Randy...
Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Members

I picker her up today late this afternoon...

They replaced the "Mechtronics (valve body)" and reprogrammed the TCU including the CAS. Part# 24-34-7-571-233, plus some tranny fluid.

I spoke with the shop foreman, and he explained that inside the valve body there are sensors and such, and some sensor was shorted out and a valve was sticking, so between the two problems, the transmission was not shifting properly. I'm satisfied with his answer; when I was younger I installed a few "B&M Trans-Paks" in '60's auto transmissions, so I'm a little bit familiar with how the valve body works (I'm no expert).

Anyway he also told me that he had a "6 series" with the "same engine and transmission" in the shop for the same problem, and that they are replacing the valve body for it, as well.

I spoke with my SA - he said the unit has a warranty price $2500, which meant an MSRP of around $3400 PLUS LABOR! Yikes! I'm so relieved that I bot my beemer as a CPO - it only cost me $50. BTW, my SA said that they washed my car, but they didn't, so I'm not sure if he was lying or just assuming and passing along false info unknowingly. Either way, my wife and kids are washing it Sunday Morning (Happy Father's Day to me!).

Well, she drives fine. No "hiccups"... I'm gonna wait a few weeks before I declare 100% victory, as the original problem was intermittent. Also, I need to test for the "slam", but I want to give the transmission time to "learn" before I push it hard.

Also, ya know that "shudder" that happens when you come to stop - right around 2 or 3 MPH the car kinda slightly jerky and you can't make a smooth stop. Well, that problem also seems to be gone. Again, I need more time to confirm this, as I drove this afternoon with the A/C on, so the RPMs were up a bit, but even then I was able to stop smoother than before.

Last, the shop foreman did confirm that the "25 sec reset" does perform some level of reseting the transmission programming (like 30%), but not a full 100% reset - that needs to be done by BMW. So, I'm not sure what all this really means, but that's what he told me.

I hope this helps those with transmission problems. If you have any questions, then let me know... I'll post again after a while to report back on how these changes play out.

Regards,
Randy...

P.S. During the programming, all of my radio station presets were erased. I check my address book in the NAV and it was fine, and my seat/mirror memory was fine as well.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Cobra 427' post='916510' date='Jun 19 2009, 12:10 AM
I picker her up today late this afternoon...

They replaced the "Mechtronics (valve body)" and reprogrammed the TCU including the CAS. Part# 24-34-7-571-233, plus some tranny fluid.

I spoke with the shop foreman, and he explained that inside the valve body there are sensors and such, and some sensor was shorted out and a valve was sticking, so between the two problems, the transmission was not shifting properly. I'm satisfied with his answer; when I was younger I installed a few "B&M Trans-Paks" in '60's auto transmissions, so I'm a little bit familiar with how the valve body works (I'm no expert).

Anyway he also told me that he had a "6 series" with the "same engine and transmission" in the shop for the same problem, and that they are replacing the valve body for it, as well.

I spoke with my SA - he said the unit has a warranty price $2500, which meant an MSRP of around $3400 PLUS LABOR! Yikes! I'm so relieved that I bot my beemer as a CPO - it only cost me $50. BTW, my SA said that they washed my car, but they didn't, so I'm not sure if he was lying or just assuming and passing along false info unknowingly. Either way, my wife and kids are washing it Sunday Morning (Happy Father's Day to me!).

Well, she drives fine. No "hiccups"... I'm gonna wait a few weeks before I declare 100% victory, as the original problem was intermittent. Also, I need to test for the "slam", but I want to give the transmission time to "learn" before I push it hard.

Also, ya know that "shudder" that happens when you come to stop - right around 2 or 3 MPH the car kinda slightly jerky and you can't make a smooth stop. Well, that problem also seems to be gone. Again, I need more time to confirm this, as I drove this afternoon with the A/C on, so the RPMs were up a bit, but even then I was able to stop smoother than before.

Last, the shop foreman did confirm that the "25 sec reset" does perform some level of reseting the transmission programming (like 30%), but not a full 100% reset - that needs to be done by BMW. So, I'm not sure what all this really means, but that's what he told me.

I hope this helps those with transmission problems. If you have any questions, then let me know... I'll post again after a while to report back on how these changes play out.

Regards,
Randy...

P.S. During the programming, all of my radio station presets were erased. I check my address book in the NAV and it was fine, and my seat/mirror memory was fine as well.
Ditto!

I picked mine up last night with the new "mechatonics module" and all seems to be fine. I am also going to wait a few weeks for the transmission to adapt to my driving style before I totally declear victory. They made an adjustment, that I asked for, to my wipers and the bill was still only $50.00. I wonder if I can extend my extended warrantee.

I'm glad your ride is back to normal, and I appretiate your input through this.

Take care!

Quick Reply: Transmission judder...