E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Jerk before Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='754218' date='Dec 28 2008, 05:54 PM
Sounds ugly, and sounds like a transmission problem possibly related to your gearbox. Hopefully you have a warranty and make sure you are seriously EMOTIONAL and PISSED about the problem because it seems the only way to get dealers to do warranty work. Otherwise you'll just get some stupid ass reply like "we were unable to duplicate the issue. no problems found."

We have 4 years warranty on oiled parts. Plus I have warranty and service already paid till Sept 2010.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='754333' date='Dec 28 2008, 07:55 PM
We have 4 years warranty on oiled parts. Plus I have warranty and service already paid till Sept 2010.

Edit: I replied thinking this was my SMG thread. ( showtopic=67795 )
Old 01-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Members

for gearbox failures, and ive seen 2 so far (my bro in law 04 530i and a friend 05 530i), even if you are outside the warranty period, these items should still be covered by some form of goodwill warranty.

as long as the damage was not intentionally caused i guess or the car was used the way it should be, theres no reason why the item should fail so fight for the warranty.

my bro in law got it replaced free after writing to BMW AG and he was at 175,000kms and my friend got his at 50% cost but he had to pay labor and all oils associated etc.

I hope its not that serious though..
Old 01-01-2009, 06:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='754213' date='Dec 28 2008, 11:46 AM
After reading the thread about the gearbox jerking upon starting up, which my car does time to time, my car also does it when it is cold. Not literally cold outside, I live in Tampa, but when i first start the car up. I will pull out of the driveway, stop at a stop sign, and when I take my foot off the brake before i hit the gas pedal, I get a jerk. It isnt violent, but it very noticable. It only does it 3-4 times when the car is cold, and prop only does it 3-4 times a week and I total probably 20 cold starts a week. (morning before work, afternoon after work, once later in the evening) never does it in between.

thoughts??
My car does the same thing occasionally. I'll be stopped at a light or stop sign and when I take my foot off of the brake it feels as if the car was in neutral and just dropped into gear. In fact, I swear it feels like the car actually will roll backwards an inch or two before it drops into gear. Being that it is intermittent, I haven't complained to the dealer yet because as you said, I'll just get that "unable to duplicate" response. The car only has 5000 miles on is, so I have plenty of time to deal with the warranty. It is very annoying when it happens.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Members

My Ride: Silver 545i loaded, Sport

Sorry if I do this wrong, I am a new member and this is the first time I have replied or even wrote in.
I have a similar problem (with my 05 545) but the delay in the transmission can be so bad that it feels like I am being rear ended. I have take it to the dealer twice. They updated the software the first time and on the sencond trip they checked everything and could not find a problem. The good news is they are replacing the transmission next week in hopes of eliminating the problem.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Members

I just wanted to give you my email address as I posted a similar thing a few weeks ago. I cannot predict when this problem will occur, but I am definitely feeling the same thing in my '08 535 with about 6k miles on it. I haven't driven it the 100 miles to my dealer, just to get the "we can't duplicate it" response. I would really like something to tell them when I take it in.

If you find a solution or hear from you dealer, please let me know ->sbasham@911billing.net<-

thanks!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

is it a Auto gearbox?
try resting the gearbox computer.
How many miles have you done? If you done abour 45000km like me then it time to change the gear oil and filter.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by 545LV' post='758553' date='Jan 3 2009, 01:48 PM
Sorry if I do this wrong, I am a new member and this is the first time I have replied or even wrote in.
I have a similar problem (with my 05 545) but the delay in the transmission can be so bad that it feels like I am being rear ended. I have take it to the dealer twice. They updated the software the first time and on the sencond trip they checked everything and could not find a problem. The good news is they are replacing the transmission next week in hopes of eliminating the problem.
What Up Everyone!! Newbie onboard (1st posting also) and looking forward to everyones 2 sense, insight, knowledge, etc., etc.!

In regards to this thread, I too have this same problem! My throttle response seems a little delayed after pressing on the gas peddle and I sometimes get this loud bang (almost sounds like being hit! - yeah, its that loud) after accelerating from a stop or slow down. Maybe its the tranny slipping? I sure hope not. I've got no fault messages either. Is this common on the 545's? I've already had a software updated (and they even updated my nav for free) but I'm still having this hesitation problem. I'm coming up on my 4th year (this February) and just about 1200 more mile before my warranty expires! I know, I know what you're all saying: Go to the dealer pronto! right?! Just thought i do my research first. Next stop: The dreaded Dealership!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:05 AM
Contributors

It could be something as simple as low transmission oil but unfortunately BMW calls it "lifetime" fluid or let me correct that, 100K fluid (outside any warranty).
I am relatively new to E60's but if the unit is built by ZF like some of the E46's, then it is probably using ESSO LT71141 fluid which is known to break down a lot sooner than the 100K.
I think the problem with low mileage cars is something different, probably software related or potentially a bad batch of transmissions.
I think 60k miles is a good time to flush your transmission oil and change the filter. My E60 should be showing up any day and I will start writing some DIY's as I go along.
Regards.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

I took my car in for an oil change last week and I mentioned this to my SA. The good news is that this is not the first time he had heard this complaint and he told me there is software fix for it. I don't remember whether he said update or reprogram. I would need to make another appointment and leave the car for the whole day so they could do this. I'll do it when I get a chance. Of course, I'll find out whether this is really a fix or not later.

Quick Reply: Transmission Jerk before Accelerating