E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Jerk before Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading the thread about the gearbox jerking upon starting up, which my car does time to time, my car also does it when it is cold. Not literally cold outside, I live in Tampa, but when i first start the car up. I will pull out of the driveway, stop at a stop sign, and when I take my foot off the brake before i hit the gas pedal, I get a jerk. It isnt violent, but it very noticable. It only does it 3-4 times when the car is cold, and prop only does it 3-4 times a week and I total probably 20 cold starts a week. (morning before work, afternoon after work, once later in the evening) never does it in between.

thoughts??
Old 12-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Contributors

Sounds ugly, and sounds like a transmission problem possibly related to your gearbox. Hopefully you have a warranty and make sure you are seriously EMOTIONAL and PISSED about the problem because it seems the only way to get dealers to do warranty work. Otherwise you'll just get some stupid ass reply like "we were unable to duplicate the issue. no problems found."
Old 12-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='754218' date='Dec 28 2008, 11:54 AM
Sounds ugly, and sounds like a transmission problem possibly related to your gearbox. Hopefully you have a warranty and make sure you are seriously EMOTIONAL and PISSED about the problem because it seems the only way to get dealers to do warranty work. Otherwise you'll just get some stupid ass reply like "we were unable to duplicate the issue. no problems found."

I am afraid they wont be able to duplicate the issue. I can barely duplicate it. I am a very emotional and pissed off person generally and have the ability to be very intimidating. this doesnt always work in my favor because sometimes it can get ugly. unfortunately i cross the line from time to time. maybe it is all the suppliments I take...
Old 12-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

try running a search under "transmission slam". There are a lot of threads on it. I've seen some solutions have been as easy a software update.....

I would have to disagree with member howitzer's advice to go in emotional and pissed. How would you react to someone coming into your job with that attitude, would be more than willing to help him/her out...or just dismiss it because you don't want anything to do with him/her/ (ex: "We are unable to duplicate the problem). What I do suggest is taking some time to research this topic on here, learn from other members past experiences, and then discuss possible problems and solutions with your SA and/or tech.

GL and keep us posted
Old 12-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Contributors

I've tried the passive-nice-guy approach and it doesn't always work. Sometimes you need to bust skulls to get shit done. GEN is definitely right, I mean, you should always be nice and are more than likely going to be helped. But I have to tell you, some techs I've come across are lazy as hell and I've had a hard time on a couple of issues. The other thing is they deal with stupid people who drive Bimmers for the simple fact that they're Bimmers, but are not serious fans of the automobile and appreciate it like we do.

Here are my problems that my dealership: MOTOR WERKS OF BARRINGTON, IL. cannot seem to solve for me:

#1 - Burning smell coming from vent after flooring it. "Cannot duplicate issue". Yet, I sure as hell can each time I gun it. They said oil rings are fine, no leaks, no gasget issues, etc... /boggle.
#2 - Brakes squeaking menacingly. "iDrive shows pads are ok, rotors are fine, cannot duplicate issue." Yet, I sure as hell can hear the damn squeak each time I drive... !?!!?!.......

sigh.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride:

+1 Howitzer's comment. No nice guy approach. Come with research and a very clear plan of action. Dealers are not used to people like us who know and love our cars so much. Don't let them pat you on the butt and send you home!!!

B
Old 12-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bespoke1' post='754250' date='Dec 28 2008, 12:20 PM
+1 Howitzer's comment. No nice guy approach. Come with research and a very clear plan of action. Dealers are not used to people like us who know and love our cars so much. Don't let them pat you on the butt and send you home!!!

B
Thats why I am here. To educate myself before I show up in their service department. I am a car person. I have built engines and entire drivetrains, normally I am the answer guy (says my 4K plus posts at corral.net) I sold my mustang years ago and now drive a rolling computer.

Every fiber of my being initially just told me to race over there and throw a fit trying to figure out why the hell a $60K car has ANY ANY ANY sort of problem this early on. shit, if i drove a $7K kia i would still be pissed. But here I am doing my homework which will hopefully lead to a nice discussion followed by a resolution. If it doesnt get resolved than i will start breaking faces.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

when I've been told they could not duplicate the noise/problem, I've asked for the shop foreman to do a ride along with me...usually tends to do the trick

Agreed, we are not the run of the mill customer that rolls into the service dept. Thankfully we have this forum to assist our SA's and tech's with their job
Old 12-28-2008, 08:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='754257' date='Dec 28 2008, 12:26 PM
when I've been told they could not duplicate the noise/problem, I've asked for the shop foreman to do a ride along with me...usually tends to do the trick
My problem is that even if i wait for the car to cool, there is still a 70% chance i WILL NOT be able to duplicate. i guess I could just complain about how the pass seat wouldnt adjust the other day, but now that works too...
Old 12-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride:

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='754257' date='Dec 28 2008, 11:26 AM

Agreed, we are not the run of the mill customer that rolls into the service dept. Thankfully we have this forum to help the SA's and tech's do their job
Exactly! This is right along the lines of the post I made today regarding my dealer issues.

I will say that getting crazy pissed might not get you anywhere you want to go! So, research your problems and be prepared with info. They will then know that you are not to be dismissed. Be calm, stay rational and in control. You are the customer. BMW needs you, not the other way around.....

We are all obviously smart, successful people here, so just go in and do business!!!

B

Quick Reply: Transmission Jerk before Accelerating