E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission issues after HID conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 03:57 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 525d 2008

Hi guys,

I want to upgrade my E61 LCI (2008) halogen headlights to Xenons (hid kit). But o colleague of mine with basically the same car warned me about his problems after the conversion. He got random issues with automatic transmission ? illogic gear changes, random driving mode selection without user input while standing still (e.g. from P to D), very long gear changes... So I directly asked the HID dealer if he knew about any similar problems, he told me he knew of 1 other issue, which ended up with auto transmission Control Unit replacement?

Have any of you heard about or experienced some weird electrical issues (like with the auto transmission)? I read somewhere that newer cars have some anti-hid conversion programming in the control units, is it possible it?s connected?

Thanks very much for all responses,

J.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't speak from research done but I have HID fogs and angel eyes and I have never had any electrical issues. The only problems I ever have is one of the ballasts won't start at times. Usually one of the fog lights. I then just turn it off wait a few seconds and turn it back on and it works. I am interested to hear from others on the subject.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:36 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

The problems you guys are describing is most likely associated with bad/inferior ballasts. Get the good crap, and there won't be any issue.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
The problems you guys are describing is most likely associated with bad/inferior ballasts. Get the good crap, and there won't be any issue.
Any recommendations?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Also be careful which wire or power source you are tapping into> I have seen people tapping in direct line with Modules and that is a NO,NO!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Correct exactly.

Originally Posted by iamnatio
Any recommendations?
http://www.umnitza.com/index.php?mai...oducts_id=1179
No errors, new slim design!

Originally Posted by syrousd
Also be careful which wire or power source you are tapping into> I have seen people tapping in direct line with Modules and that is a NO,NO!
Correct.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:16 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 525d 2008

Originally Posted by umnitza
http://www.umnitza.com/index.php?mai...oducts_id=1179
No errors, new slim design!

Correct.
Great, thanks for advice. I will give these a try, hopefuly wont have any issues. Do I need anything else for HID upgrade or just this kit?
Old 01-19-2012, 05:45 AM
Former Vendor

Just the kit.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Former Vendor

Can't edit. You will get an HID kit with ballasts and bulbs. You will need to drill a small 1" hole in the back cap to allow the wires to come out, the grommet on the bulb will cover that hole so no worries. The bulb will be fitted into the holder for the H7 low beam socket and the ballast will connect to it.
The whole install if you have the headlights off the car takes about 1 hour including headlight removal.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

To be honest, it cannot cause a transmission failure. That has everything to do with the battery or alternator which is soon to fail. A bad ballast could draw the incorrect power to cause that problem. I have seen many bad ballasts burn the lighting control module however. Be careful and get a kit that has been tried, tested, and used for many many years. NO EBAY KITS PLEASE!!!

Quick Reply: Transmission issues after HID conversion?