E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05' 545i
Default Transmission Issue

Anyone have any thoughts on this situation. I am being told that my transmission is done. 95k on it. I have one place telling me that they will rebuild it and another place that is stating that it is not possible to rebuild and that I can either buy a new trans or a used one along with the pan etc. The rebuild w/labor is estimated at $3k; whereas the used transmission would be $4k and the new one would be $7k...
Any suggestions or opinions? Not good.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:48 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

What is wrong with your transmission?

It all has to do with risk. Could be shop rebuilt is ok. Junkyard is probably ok, but of course the car isn't functional. Even if they give you a warranty, they won't warrant the labor. Factory rebuilt is best chance of success. I've gone all three routes on various cars over the years. Shop rebuilt a Pontiac auto transmission, junkyard sourced Honda manual transmission, factory rebuilt Mercedes auto transmission.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Members
Senior Members

We cant help you out if you dont tell us what kind of issues your tranny was having why are they telling you its done?
Old 04-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

^this.

What SPECIFIC problems are you having?
Old 04-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Contributors

apparently the trans fluid was low for a bit and it caused the transmission to lock up. it is permanently stuck in safe mode. i have been told that the clutch a is damaged.

Last edited by rrnag30; 04-13-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:09 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

No way I'd just accept it is fried without a complete transmission fluid flush and test. You could get lucky and we are talking a few hundred dollars.

I once had a Mercedes 300D Turbo Diesel. Ran over something on the highway and the car seemed fine. But, whatever I hit put a dime sized hole in the transmission oil pan. The car ran for another 2 hours on the highway and then finally wouldn't go. Got towed to a local Mercedes dealer and the guy dropped the pan and there was clutch material all in the pan. He welded the hole closed, flushed the transmission fluid and I went about my trip. The transmission wasn't perfect, but it wasn't that noticeable. I did eventually get a rebuilt transmission, but that was months later.

Bottom line, I'd get the oil pan dropped and flush the transmission good and see what you have.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by twh
No way I'd just accept it is fried without a complete transmission fluid flush and test. You could get lucky and we are talking a few hundred dollars.

I once had a Mercedes 300D Turbo Diesel. Ran over something on the highway and the car seemed fine. But, whatever I hit put a dime sized hole in the transmission oil pan. The car ran for another 2 hours on the highway and then finally wouldn't go. Got towed to a local Mercedes dealer and the guy dropped the pan and there was clutch material all in the pan. He welded the hole closed, flushed the transmission fluid and I went about my trip. The transmission wasn't perfect, but it wasn't that noticeable. I did eventually get a rebuilt transmission, but that was months later.

Bottom line, I'd get the oil pan dropped and flush the transmission good and see what you have.

Appreciate the advice, that will be the route I take first. Thanks
Old 04-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Contributors

No good, transmission is still throwing the codes after flush. The clutch is fried. They (indy shop) are recommending going with a used transmission instead of rebuild, essentially they say a rebuild is difficult and not a guarantee it will work right for long.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:57 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by rrnag30
No good, transmission is still throwing the codes after flush. The clutch is fried. They (indy shop) are recommending going with a used transmission instead of rebuild, essentially they say a rebuild is difficult and not a guarantee it will work right for long.
I would've thought the other way around...
I would expect rebuilt trans to last lot longer than an used trans.

Either way, go with the option that gives you warranty on the replacement trans.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:12 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

My own opinion is if you really need to save money go junkyard. If you are going to get it rebuilt, get a factory rebuilt one.

Quick Reply: Transmission Issue