E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission grumble

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Five times now, twice in one day, the transmission [or the combination of the engine and the transmission] sounds like it's gumbling when the gas pedal is pressed. The odd part is that pressing the gas down doesn't seem to do anything - the engine RPMs stay around 1300 (or at least it's greater than 1000 but less than 1500) and the car won't speed up until the gas pedal is either returned (no pressure) or pressed to the floor for a second.

The problem happens after costing or rolling along very slowly - like idling along a level street looking for a parking space or costing to a stop light. The issue happens after the car is already warmed up from a previous drive (no more than three hours earlier).

There are less than 19k miles on the car. It's a 2006.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Mine ('08 550i with SAT) did this one time, in connection with a transmission "slam" as I was approaching a stop light, in DS mode, foot off the pedal coasting, and the transmission downshifted and slammed. Then no pedal response, rough idle... the odd thing was, I could put the trans into reverse, and back up just fine with pedal response. In forward gear, no response. I shut the motor down, waited about 10 seconds, started up, and all was fine, and has been fine ever since.

I reported this behavior to the dealer, but they couldn't see any codes nor reproduce it of course.

Cal
Old 02-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='802025' date='Feb 26 2009, 07:58 AM
Mine ('08 550i with SAT) did this one time, in connection with a transmission "slam" as I was approaching a stop light, in DS mode, foot off the pedal coasting, and the transmission downshifted and slammed. Then no pedal response, rough idle... the odd thing was, I could put the trans into reverse, and back up just fine with pedal response. In forward gear, no response. I shut the motor down, waited about 10 seconds, started up, and all was fine, and has been fine ever since.

I reported this behavior to the dealer, but they couldn't see any codes nor reproduce it of course.

Cal
DS will do that and that's all the dealers are going to say. The slam problem most everyone refers to is the one caused while driving in D.....
Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Senior Members

Bah, It happened at lunch today.

I guess its a trip to the dealer.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

You may be right.... but it's not acceptable behavior for any transmission, whether in Sport mode or not. In my case, I was on a two-lane narrowing to one-lane on-ramp to the freeway when it stumbled, and I was stuck in accelerating traffic creating quite an obstacle. When the light behind me changed, I experimented with backing up a little, but I was not going to be able to get out of that predicament safely by backing out, due to the blind curvature of the roadway. Luckily, the restart solved the problem, but ZF / BMW needs to get that taken care of as a matter of safety.

Cal
Old 02-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by or_550i' post='802436' date='Feb 26 2009, 01:40 PM
Bah, It happened at lunch today.
And all the way home from work.
Oddly, using the steptronic mode worked fine. Maybe there's a controller issue. Anyway, have an appt. with the dealer tomorrow morning.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by or_550i' post='801875' date='Feb 25 2009, 09:50 PM
Anyone have any ideas?
RESOLVED!

The main service mechanic rode along with me today and about 60 seconds into our ride I began to explain the grumbling sound with the low RPMs and he said "I already know what it is and it's not the transmission." Then I was expecting some answer like Click and Clack that it was the driver who's the problem!

Turns out for those of us with the automatic transmission, on a long coast or idle through traffic the TCU/TCM tries to maximize the fuel efficiency. It does this by shifting to a high gear (4th gear in the e60) and then applies a lock-up torque converter. Read the wikipedia article - it sums up my experience.

The mechanic said that if I wanted to work around the problem, shift into manual or sport mode to prevent the TCU/TCM from trying to conserve fuel.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by or_550i' post='803585' date='Feb 28 2009, 02:22 AM
RESOLVED!

The main service mechanic rode along with me today and about 60 seconds into our ride I began to explain the grumbling sound with the low RPMs and he said "I already know what it is and it's not the transmission." Then I was expecting some answer like Click and Clack that it was the driver who's the problem!

Turns out for those of us with the automatic transmission, on a long coast or idle through traffic the TCU/TCM tries to maximize the fuel efficiency. It does this by shifting to a high gear (4th gear in the e60) and then applies a lock-up torque converter. Read the wikipedia article - it sums up my experience.

The mechanic said that if I wanted to work around the problem, shift into manual or sport mode to prevent the TCU/TCM from trying to conserve fuel.
Sounds like the quest for greater fuel economy is going to cause a lot of heartache in the years to come (as these cars get older). Thats my prediction what with all the electronics to manage fuel consumption, grill flaps, swirl flaps,... franky buying on lease and changing car every 3 years may be a better way to do it.

thanks for the post. At least there is closure and anyone with a similar problem can sort it out.

cheers