E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Trans does not seem right going into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I noticed this about 3 weeks ago and now it has showed up in other situations. I was parallel parking on a slight down grade. My years of Chicago driving has provided many times of practice so I can usually get it on the first try. So I pulled past the spot, came to a complete stop and then put it in reverse(would be going up hill in reverse). When I stepped on the gas the car started rolling forward about 1 foot while on the gas. I then hit the breaks checked to make sure the trans was in R and it was. I then pressed the gas and the car started backing up. I thought this was weird but just wrote it off. Now I have noticed that once and a while I will put the car in reverse and it is like the trans is still in N and takes a few seconds before like I have a 2500 Stall converter(for those old school 1/4 mile racers). I am doing my best to replicate it so I can actually show my SA instead of having them try to reproduce it but I cannot reproduce it consistently. Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestion? I the extended warranty just kicked so I am not worried about the cost. Just want to hear your feed back.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MRV99' post='600852' date='Jun 11 2008, 07:48 PM
Ok I noticed this about 3 weeks ago and now it has showed up in other situations. I was parallel parking on a slight down grade. My years of Chicago driving has provided many times of practice so I can usually get it on the first try. So I pulled past the spot, came to a complete stop and then put it in reverse(would be going up hill in reverse). When I stepped on the gas the car started rolling forward about 1 foot while on the gas. I then hit the breaks checked to make sure the trans was in R and it was. I then pressed the gas and the car started backing up. I thought this was weird but just wrote it off. Now I have noticed that once and a while I will put the car in reverse and it is like the trans is still in N and takes a few seconds before like I have a 2500 Stall converter(for those old school 1/4 mile racers). I am doing my best to replicate it so I can actually show my SA instead of having them try to reproduce it but I cannot reproduce it consistently. Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestion? I the extended warranty just kicked so I am not worried about the cost. Just want to hear your feed back.
I brought mine in today for the same thing. That is exactly what happens with my car except it happens consistantly and it happened for the dealership. They are trying to get me a new tranny from BMW but we'll see...
Old 10-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

Had the same issue with an X5 and it was fixed with software update.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Members

My Ride: July 01 2008 - Carbon Black "Batmobile" E60 - LCI 520D - M Sport - 18 Inch Wheels - Auto (New Joystick) -- M Rear Trunk Spoiler - Badge Deletion - 50% Front Doors 35% Rear Doors and 20% Rear Window - Windscreen with Green Shade Band - Folding, Tinted Mirrors - Porsche "Flamenco Rot" Nappa Leather (Door Cards, Arm Rests, Seat Facings and Center Arm Rest - Climate Control - USB 6FL - Bluetooth

Have posted another topic about vibration issues/problems in reverse

but I am also having similar difficulties as above with transmission engaging reverse or forward - thought it was my bad use of new joystick trans but on one occasion I got so flustered I had to turn on my hazards as I could not move forward at an intersection and drivers behind started losing their wick .

After reading this I'm seriously begining to wonder about my transmission