E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tranmission Warning: Gear in use without Brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

is that solenoid suppose to have voltage constantly? or only when you apply the brakes?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:59 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M54
Model Year: 525i 2004

Originally Posted by turboawd
is that solenoid suppose to have voltage constantly? or only when you apply the brakes?
Constant voltage and when you press brake, the voltage becomes 0.02 instead of 12.something.....
Old 09-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Members

Any other suggestion, anyone good with BMW Wiring diagrams?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Members

One more thing, the cold start has to be with the car not turned on for atleast 10-12 hours. If you turn the car on before 10 hours, the error is not visible.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kskane
After some great help from CTSC, I finally figured the solenoid 4E87 is outside the trans above the top of the gear shift. In order to get to it, you have pull out the following in sequence.

1. Hazard switch
2. Panel holding the air vents
3. Front panel containing the controls to AC etc
4. Lower panel where your NAV DVD section.
5. The centre knob
6. Menu switch
7. Gear shift knob + cover + drive panel (which indicate which gear you are in)
8. The complete mid section panel.
9. Cigarette lighter holder

And now finally if you see right above the gear shift, you will see a cable going into the gear shift. That little connector wire is going into the solenoid 4E87 (picture attached). Now back to my problem. During cold start I get a warning for this solenoid not being functional and then it disappears after few minutes. I have checked the solenoid is fine to its resistance of 19-21 Ohms, and the connecting cable has the right voltage during the day time, but strangely at cold start, the cable does not have any voltage at all for few minutes thus causing that fault message.

Does anyone has any idea why the cable will not have voltage for first few minutes? Anyone good with BMW WDS and know where the current in this cable is coming from that I can diagnose further?
Does anyone knows if the solenoid highlighted in the picture above is actually part number "25 12 7 507 036 - SMG/SHIFTLOCK Gear shifting Steptronic, SMG". If yes, is there a way to replace it?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kskane
Does anyone knows if the solenoid highlighted in the picture above is actually part number "25 12 7 507 036 - SMG/SHIFTLOCK Gear shifting Steptronic, SMG". If yes, is there a way to replace it?
Why do you want to replace the solenoid? It is basically an electromagnet that moves in or out (depending upon the polarity direction) based upon the application of voltage. You have measured that the voltage is sometimes there (if car is warm) and sometimes not (when car has sits longer than 12 hours). You have also seen that when the voltage is present you don't get a warning message, and can probably deduce from that, that even though you cannot see the solenoid action it is probably moving and locking into place.

The absence of voltage is not the solenoids fault. The solenoid seems to be operating properly.

Look where the voltage is supposed to come from - the solenoid in the mechatronic unit or the TCM.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
Why do you want to replace the solenoid? It is basically an electromagnet that moves in or out (depending upon the polarity direction) based upon the application of voltage. You have measured that the voltage is sometimes there (if car is warm) and sometimes not (when car has sits longer than 12 hours). You have also seen that when the voltage is present you don't get a warning message, and can probably deduce from that, that even though you cannot see the solenoid action it is probably moving and locking into place.

The absence of voltage is not the solenoids fault. The solenoid seems to be operating properly.

Look where the voltage is supposed to come from - the solenoid in the mechatronic unit or the TCM.
You are right, but the guys at CTSC are making me doubt the solenoid on stick shift as mechatronic unit is fine according to them and I can't find any other source of voltage to the cable that comes into the solenoid on gearshift. I guess oil change is the only option left to try and see. But while I am preparing my mind for the trans oil change myself, I have a question below in case you might know the answer;
1. Is the trans sump has to be changed every time drain/fill is to be performed?
2. While doing a drain/fill, can the filling start at cold (meaning on cold start conditions). Or the trans has to be on a certain temperature to drain it and then on certain temperature to fill it. And then on between 30-40 C to do the second fill with car running.
3. While doing a drain/fill, the second top up has to be done with car running and in Park with handbreak or car turned off after running.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Members

Does any know what is the torx size of the 24xBolts on the plastic sump of the auto trans on E60 6HP19.

According to the link below it should be using T40;
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...-refill-88129/

According to BMW part number, there is no information;
Torx screw - 24 11 7 552 108 - M6X28,5

According to the bolts on my sump pan on the car, it is T27.

Reason for this question, when I already know that T27 is what I have on my vehicle - I am planning to replace the pan and oil on the my trans and 14 bolts seems to have its torx teeth #@#$#@ by previous INDY's, so I will need to replace these bolts. The new bolts which I will buy, I need to know the size of Torx bit so I can by that tool as my hollow Torx bit T27 broke while I was trying to un-screw the pan

Also, what tools was used to open the fill plug, I know it needs 8mm Hex socket, but mine won't fit since there is very less space and the thread above says to use L-shape tool, what is L-shape tool?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 E60 520i SE 2.2 Auto
Default Which is it?

You wrote about 3 issues so far in this thread: 1) gear in use w/o break 2) mechatronic and 3) solenoid.
Did you solve the first two or have you established that 3) resolves the 1st two?
I have been following the thread but am not very clear. I have had the 1st two issues and my be able to shed some light.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by smurf520i
You wrote about 3 issues so far in this thread: 1) gear in use w/o break 2) mechatronic and 3) solenoid.
Did you solve the first two or have you established that 3) resolves the 1st two?
I have been following the thread but am not very clear. I have had the 1st two issues and my be able to shed some light.
Smurf520i, if you read all the post on this topic, you will find the relation that 1 is being caused by 3, but 3 is pointing towards 2. I am trying to solve 2 by doing a oil change which could be done wrong and investigate this issue further. But stuck on the oil change due to the tools and bolts problem posted above.

Let me know if 1-2-3 are not clear to you, but they are all relevant and related to the initial problem which still exist, pending next step to do a oil drain.

Quick Reply: Tranmission Warning: Gear in use without Brake