E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tranmission Warning: Gear in use without Brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 04:13 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M54
Model Year: 525i 2004

Yell out for help,

From past few months, everytime I start the car for the first time in the morning (cold) it starts rough and the car gives a warning message "Caution ? Gear can be engaged without applying brake. Possible to continue your journey with caution. Switch off engine before leaving". After running the car for couple of minutes, turning off and turning back on, the message goes away until next day when it is cold again. Any clues?

Prior to my BMW 525i E60, I had a Honda accord which died on its tranmission, I don't want this one to die on it tranmission again..............please help with any solution.

Stealer looked at it for $200+ and suggested a software upgrade or replacement of triptronic system which will cost me 5K.

I hope some BMW Guru outthere can save me here.........

Cheers.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:05 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i, Adaptive Xenons, 19" 166's

Just curious, how old is your battery. I remember getting a similar message when my battery was weak. No more issues after replacing the battery.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:11 AM
Members

Never touched the battery, although recently my BMW was re-called for a battery cable cover and was looked at by the Stealer with no issues.

Took it to another mechanic, who after few cha-chingo's gave me a F@#$@#@#$ code "4E87 Solenoid value 4 (shift Lock)" and referred me to a tranmission expert. Who is going to cost cha-chingo's again and on GOD knows what he will tell me next week. According to stealer, this was a software upgrade or replacement of tranny.

Any other suggestions are welcome, otherwise, I will see what this trans expert has to say next week.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:39 AM
Members

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: E61 525i 2005, F11 528i 2012
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by kskane
Never touched the battery, although recently my BMW was re-called for a battery cable cover and was looked at by the Stealer with no issues.

Took it to another mechanic, who after few cha-chingo's gave me a F@#$@#@#$ code "4E87 Solenoid value 4 (shift Lock)" and referred me to a tranmission expert. Who is going to cost cha-chingo's again and on GOD knows what he will tell me next week. According to stealer, this was a software upgrade or replacement of tranny.

Any other suggestions are welcome, otherwise, I will see what this trans expert has to say next week.
Normally, you can only engage D (Drive) after pressing the brake. This triggers a release mechanism in the gear lever. Perhaps this mechanism is broken and you can change from P to D without the break, meaning the release mechanism does not work. Perhaps it is this part?
Old 08-24-2012, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by paulie
Normally, you can only engage D (Drive) after pressing the brake. This triggers a release mechanism in the gear lever. Perhaps this mechanism is broken and you can change from P to D without the break, meaning the release mechanism does not work. Perhaps it is this part?
Yes, sure sounds like a faulty shift-interlock solenoid or something. Completely unrelated to basic transmission function, but is a potential safety issue, at least according to certain regulatory agencies, as the car could theoretically be put into drive or reverse without your foot on the brake, thereby lurching or what have you. If it were me I'd get around to fixing it eventually, but wouldn't go out of my way, YMMV.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by paulie
Thanks for your suggestion, I went and tried this just now. I put the key into ignition (not started) and see if I can move the gear stick it won't allow me. And similar behavior after starting the car. The gear would not move without pressing the break pedal.

The problem I am seeing is only noticed in the morning when the car starts from cold.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has been suffering the same fault for about 6 months now. However if I turn the car off when the fault is showing it will not restart, as if it doesn't sense I've got my foot on the brake. I then have to wait anythin up to half hour til the fault clears and it resets. Seems to happen most mornings or after the car has sat for a few hours unused and comes up after coverin a mile or two at most. Goin to leave with an indy garage whilst I'm on holidays next month n hopefully it won't be anythin too major. Wishful thinkin eh
Old 08-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I think I've seen this error before. i remember a yellow car with an arrow in front and the back right? I don't think it was after I tried to put on a different gear shifter. It did not seat correctly and i had this message come up but it never had an effect on the car starting or not.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Members

Okay Guys, I need help from some BMW GURU here.

My tranmission expert who was sure to fix the problem, had a look and confirmed that the MECHATRONIC unit needs to be replaced as it can't be repaired. Issues I have is, the Mechatronic unit is programmed to the car, so I can't just change the unit, it has to be coded by the stealer. Is this true?

Secondly, I am thinking to buy a second hand tranmission and just replace the whole unit, but what I am not sure if if the electricals on the card would need to be re-prgrammed or can the physical transmission just be replaced.

All suggestions are welcome.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Members

After some great help from CTSC, I finally figured the solenoid 4E87 is outside the trans above the top of the gear shift. In order to get to it, you have pull out the following in sequence.

1. Hazard switch
2. Panel holding the air vents
3. Front panel containing the controls to AC etc
4. Lower panel where your NAV DVD section.
5. The centre knob
6. Menu switch
7. Gear shift knob + cover + drive panel (which indicate which gear you are in)
8. The complete mid section panel.
9. Cigarette lighter holder

And now finally if you see right above the gear shift, you will see a cable going into the gear shift. That little connector wire is going into the solenoid 4E87 (picture attached). Now back to my problem. During cold start I get a warning for this solenoid not being functional and then it disappears after few minutes. I have checked the solenoid is fine to its resistance of 19-21 Ohms, and the connecting cable has the right voltage during the day time, but strangely at cold start, the cable does not have any voltage at all for few minutes thus causing that fault message.

Does anyone has any idea why the cable will not have voltage for first few minutes? Anyone good with BMW WDS and know where the current in this cable is coming from that I can diagnose further?
Attached Thumbnails Tranmission Warning: Gear in use without Brake-solenoid-4e87.jpg  

Quick Reply: Tranmission Warning: Gear in use without Brake