E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tramlining now impossible to accept

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 04:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else noticed the tramlining on the 545i sport run-flats increases as the tires wear?
Picked my daughter up at Kennedy Airport in New York last night and she commented a few times of how badly the car swayed back and forth on the highway as we tramlined in the ruts. Have approx. 25,000 miles on them, and even though I probably have another 6/7,000 miles of life left in them, I can"t wait to switch to my non-run-flat snows next week. My wife likes the secure feeling they give her, but I just can"t put up with them any longer.I guess roadside sevice will suffice. Come spring, when the snows come off, on go a set of non-run-flat PS2's and the run-flats get scrapped. Can't complain about the miles I got out of them, but the harsh ride and tramlning takes all the pleasure out of them.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by netjazz' post='359649' date='Nov 23 2006, 01:14 PM
Has anyone else noticed the tramlining on the 545i sport run-flats increases as the tires wear?
Picked my daughter up at Kennedy Airport in New York last night and she commented a few times of how badly the car swayed back and forth on the highway as we tramlined in the ruts. Have approx. 25,000 miles on them, and even though I probably have another 6/7,000 miles of life left in them, I can"t wait to switch to my non-run-flat snows next week. My wife likes the secure feeling they give her, but I just can"t put up with them any longer.I guess roadside sevice will suffice. Come spring, when the snows come off, on go a set of non-run-flat PS2's and the run-flats get scrapped. Can't complain about the miles I got out of them, but the harsh ride and tramlning takes all the pleasure out of them.
I noticed a rapid increase in tramlining as my Dunflaps wore out... (Which didn't take long!)
Old 11-23-2006, 04:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by netjazz' post='359649' date='Nov 23 2006, 01:14 PM
It's difficult to generalise because tyre profile (hence sidewall proportions) has a large influence over driving characteristics.

ABC
Old 11-23-2006, 05:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='359654' date='Nov 23 2006, 05:30 PM
It's difficult to generalise because tyre profile (hence sidewall proportions) has a large influence over driving characteristics.

ABC
In a way it's logical since the contact patch gets more and more worn out and the sidewalls get "closer" to the ground. I for one got more tramlining as days pass.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:35 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='359666' date='Nov 23 2006, 09:34 AM
In a way it's logical since the contact patch gets more and more worn out and the sidewalls get "closer" to the ground. I for one got more tramlining as days pass.
I also have a motorcycle and travel in the NYC area so I notice that there is sometimes a 6 inch height difference between the middle of the lane and where the tires make contact with the road. Since Long Island does not really have any freight trains to distribute consumer goods, the Island relies almost exclusively on hugh heavy trucks to get products/produce. These trucks push the blacktop from under the tires contact path to the center and edges of the lane. Combine this with our roads that a designed to last through one election term, 4 yrs, and you have these horrible conditions (not to mention potholes). Its surprising that all cars don't complain about tramlining.
I think the 545 Sport exagerates this, not because of the runflats, but because of the almost 11 inch wide tires in the rear which has to run on the high track and the low track of the road at the same time.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

My Dunlop RF's are tramlinging as hell :thumbsdown:

Love riding my 225/55 16" non RF winter tyres now.

No tramlining, no tyre sounds and a very smooth ride.

My 245/40 18" RF Dunlops are now about finished so new
summer tyres will come on my 123 wheels next spring:

Non RF 225/45 18"! Michelin or Bridgestone probably.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Manual, Sports Suspension, Sports Steering Wheel, Dakota Leather.

My 5's been following the truck lanes which was really annoying as the car veered from side to side.

I've now remedied the sitiuation by elevating the pressures in all 4 tyres to the mid point of the recomended pressure setting for both front & rear.

Of course they still thump & skip about, but that's never going to change without a new set of conventional boots.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d se auto. black sapphire, 17" 5 spoke 138 style alloys. dark poplar trim, charcoal flat weave cloth, bluetooth phone prep, dimming rear view and side mirrors, lumbar support, heated front deats, phone cradle

from a value point of view my goodyears have been great, 26,000 miles and 6mm tread left! but as it has been getting colder I notice alot of traction problems, with some minor tramlining. Might swap for some real tires in the summer.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by 525dse' post='359810' date='Nov 23 2006, 11:07 PM
from a value point of view my goodyears have been great, 26,000 miles and 6mm tread left! but as it has been getting colder I notice alot of traction problems, with some minor tramlining. Might swap for some real tires in the summer.
Your writing is worthless, I'm afraid, if you do not go into details.

Are your tyres 245/45 17" or 225/50 17", RF or not.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='359811' date='Nov 23 2006, 09:18 PM
Your writing is worthless, I'm afraid, if you do not go into details.

Are your tyres 245/45 17" or 225/50 17", RF or not.
I refer the honourable gentlemen of the house to my earlier point regarding tyre profiles...

ABC

Quick Reply: Tramlining now impossible to accept