E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tramlining gone along with run-flats

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 09:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No doubt about it, run-flats of any brand contribute to tramlining. Had a new 330i with bridgestone RF's as a loaner, and of course with no staggered set-up, and they tramline also. To me this is the most annoying thing about RF's.Sure the firm ride is a problem, but to me, the tramlining is even more of a problem on the roads in the NY area. Just put my Dunlop none RF snows on and tramlining completly gone(and so is the extra firm ride). The car is once again a delight. Now once they replace my broken rear window that blew out on me, I will be back in business.
YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE THESE BMW's.

Netjazz
Old 12-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Members

My Ride: Titanium Silver 2004 525i, style 116 alloys,

same experience here, now virtually no tramlining even on the most rutted roads with my Michelin Pilot Primacys
Old 12-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Contributors

you guys are going to make to change to NON RF. ..i miss the quiet ride of my old 525 with no sport pkg and no Rf. I miss the quiet ride of my conti...but oh well....
Old 12-14-2005, 06:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525i, Alpine White, auto, premium package, nav, cold weather package, euro red reflectors

I had to look up the definition of 'tramlining' but now I know it is what I have experienced several times when I hit a lane divider and it feels like the car takes a small slide. I was really surprised becasue I've never had a car do this before (maybe I always stayed in my lane before .
Old 12-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Contributors

I put new shoes on today and the car is totally transformed ... in a good way. Goodbye Bridgestone RFs, hello smooth ride.

I finally put on winter tires (Dunlop Winter Sport M3s) today and the ride is much less jarring and tramlining is gone, gone, gone. Ahhh, much better. Finally, this is the how the E60 is supposed to ride.

Interestingly, I found myself driving way over the speed limit several times today. The usual feedback from the somewhat jarring ride of the RFs is gone, so I need to learn to pay attention to the HUD again.

On another note, I put size 245/40 18" on all corners - using the original wheels, even though the 550 sport comes staggered. These tires fit the wider back wheels just fine and they look good all around. And the snow performance is excellent ... no more sliding around on RFs.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think the tramlining is a function of the tire size more than the tire's composition (runflat/non runflat) -- the wider and lower the tire, the more likely it will tramline over ruts, etc.

As far as the ride, well sure the snows are going to be more forgiving and less harsh but they're not going to corner/handle as well as the higher performance tires.

It's difficult to have both great handling and a soft ride (and each of us may have a different, subjective opinion as to what that means exactly.) You either soften the ride at the expense of decreased handling or you live with a stiffer ride and keep the handling. Unless I'm totally missing something here, it sounds like those of you that like the ride on the snows better than the ride on the runflats (sport package tires) probably shouldn't have gotten the sports package in the first place.

For me, I prefer the summer tire experience over the snows and I'm more tolerant of the tramlining and harshness because of the handling capabilities the runflats allow. With the snows, I think the car rides like it should for a car without the sports package...
Old 12-14-2005, 11:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='211448' date='Dec 15 2005, 05:30 AM
I think the tramlining is a function of the tire size more than the tire's composition (runflat/non runflat) -- the wider and lower the tire, the more likely it will tramline over ruts, etc.
As a general rule that is true... However, RFs definitely make the problem worse! :thumbsdown: This is probably due to the lack of compliancy and make the tyre following the cambers more.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:31 AM
Members

Could you guys summarize and explain the meaning of the term "tramlining" for non English Language Natives?
Thanks
Luca
Old 12-15-2005, 02:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Silver Grey 550i (est delivery 12/06) Auburn / Poplar Interior / Anthracite headliner M body aero kit/ sport/ sound/ comfort access/ comfort seats/ sunshade/ sat radio

you guys are really making me want to get new tires. but i just got the car saturday. how long before the RF potenzas wear down and need replacing? it would probably be pretty hard to sell these locally? how much are a set of the PS2?
art
Old 12-15-2005, 03:12 AM
DDW
Contributors

My Ride: '05 530i-Silver Grey / Grey, Premium, Sport, PDC

Originally Posted by LukeV' post='211502' date='Dec 15 2005, 05:31 AM
Could you guys summarize and explain the meaning of the term "tramlining" for non English Language Natives?
Thanks
Luca
Tramlining refers to the tendency of a vehicle to want to follow longitudinal seams or ruts in the highway.

On a multi-lane highway, many of the lanes are severely rutted from heavy truck traffic. When you follow through those lanes, or if you do a lane change, you'll quite often find that your vehicle almost has a mind of its own. It wants to follow those ruts. And some vehicles can really duck and dive when you're passing through them. The wider the tires on the vehicle, the more of the problem that you'll have with tramlining.

Quick Reply: Tramlining gone along with run-flats