E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Traffic Information in the UK?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am waiting delivery of a new E61 530d M-Sport Touring with the Professional Nav system and full Media kit. It's due on March 1st......

Anyway - my current E60 530d (now 4 years old) has the Business Nav system in it, but I have never been able to get it to receive traffic information (i.e. updates on traffic jams, etc....). I have seen this working well on German colleagues' cars, but never in the UK.

So - does anyone know if there is any option in the UK for getting this information fed into the Nav? The new car has the full telematics suite, with Connected Drive etc, etc....

I had thought this type of traffic data was carried on the back of radio broadcasts, in a similar way to RDS data - is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Alasdair
Old 02-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by adentonmiller' post='529971' date='Feb 11 2008, 04:54 PM
I am waiting delivery of a new E61 530d M-Sport Touring with the Professional Nav system and full Media kit. It's due on March 1st......

Anyway - my current E60 530d (now 4 years old) has the Business Nav system in it, but I have never been able to get it to receive traffic information (i.e. updates on traffic jams, etc....). I have seen this working well on German colleagues' cars, but never in the UK.

So - does anyone know if there is any option in the UK for getting this information fed into the Nav? The new car has the full telematics suite, with Connected Drive etc, etc....

I had thought this type of traffic data was carried on the back of radio broadcasts, in a similar way to RDS data - is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Alasdair
I have a 2004 E61 530D and the TMC traffic system works fine. As you say, it's an RDS type thing. I also have Business Nav. You need to make sure the TMC is switched on in the entertainment menu (I think) and in the Sat Nav settings you need it to be set to dynamic route setting so that it can re-route if there's traffic jams.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i E61 123 wheels auto leather heated seats auto tailgate business navigation

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='529982' date='Feb 11 2008, 05:14 PM
I have a 2004 E61 530D and the TMC traffic system works fine. As you say, it's an RDS type thing. I also have Business Nav. You need to make sure the TMC is switched on in the entertainment menu (I think) and in the Sat Nav settings you need it to be set to dynamic route setting so that it can re-route if there's traffic jams.
+1
TMC works fine with my Business Nav.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d SE Saloon M57 3.0d, Deep Sea Blue, Anthracite Linea cloth Z5K Visibility Package (522 Xenon Headlamps, 524 Adaptive Headlights, 502 Headlamp Washer System) Z5P Media Package (609 Navigation−system Professional, 612 BMW ConnectedDrive−Assist, 616 BMW ConnectedDrive−Online, 620 Voice Control System, 633 Bluetooth phone prep + telematics, 672 BMW 6 Disc CD Changer) 300 Space−Saver Spare Wheel 465 Through Load System 610 Head−up Display 654 DAB digital radio 6FL USB/audio interface

I had to have a software upgrade to my 2004 E60 (business nav) to receive TMC and it worked fine. It is carried by Classic FM so there can be reception problems and to be honest on the few times I have accepted the re-routing and colleagues have followed the motorway I arrived after they did! My new E60 has professional nav and it also receives TMC with no problems.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Nick_H' post='529998' date='Feb 11 2008, 05:37 PM
I had to have a software upgrade to my 2004 E60 (business nav) to receive TMC and it worked fine. It is carried by Classic FM so there can be reception problems and to be honest on the few times I have accepted the re-routing and colleagues have followed the motorway I arrived after they did! My new E60 has professional nav and it also receives TMC with no problems.

I'll have to go and have a play with the settings to see if I can get it working. i haven't tried for a while, but in the past it would keep coming up with a "no reception" message. I didn't know the signal was only on Classic FM though....so that could have been the problem.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by adentonmiller' post='530010' date='Feb 11 2008, 05:55 PM
I'll have to go and have a play with the settings to see if I can get it working. i haven't tried for a while, but in the past it would keep coming up with a "no reception" message. I didn't know the signal was only on Classic FM though....so that could have been the problem.

Hmmm......still no joy. I go to the Information menu, then go to "Traffic Information Settings", then select "AUTO TMC" or "Classic" from the menu, then I go to the Nav screen and go to the Traffic Information screen there and it still says "Presently no reception".

Grrr....
Old 02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Members

My Ride: UK BMW 530d, registered 19Sep2003. Bluetooth, Business SatNav, Rear & side blinds, Business Radio, LOGIC7.

I have had mine for 4 1/2 years and TMC works fine. I think I needed a new disc though. Mine is 2005-1.

Simon
Who ordered my new 530d today for delivery before the end of March.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

On my 2006 530d, the TMC did not work when I first got the car. I bought a new nav DVD, changing up from 2005-01 to 2007-01 and TMC messages started appearing.

I had complained to the dealer at the time, and they said the car needed a Progman update, but the problem was actually resolved by the newer Nav DVD (I still got the Progman update under warranty a couple of days later though!).
Old 02-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MacSid' post='530781' date='Feb 13 2008, 08:19 AM
On my 2006 530d, the TMC did not work when I first got the car. I bought a new nav DVD, changing up from 2005-01 to 2007-01 and TMC messages started appearing.

I had complained to the dealer at the time, and they said the car needed a Progman update, but the problem was actually resolved by the newer Nav DVD (I still got the Progman update under warranty a couple of days later though!).
Well....mine definitely doesn't work....and it has the original Nav DVD in it from when it was new (which was early '04, so it's probably an 03 DVD!)

I can't be bothered to change it or have the delaer look at it as the new E61 will be here in 2 weeks and 3 days (but who's counting? )

It's annoying to know that I could have had it fixed years ago.... i was just under the impression that TMC didn't work in the UK. Oh well.....i will just pretend it's a new feature on the new car!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:14 AM
Members

My Ride: UK BMW 530d, registered 19Sep2003. Bluetooth, Business SatNav, Rear & side blinds, Business Radio, LOGIC7.

Originally Posted by adentonmiller' post='530785' date='Feb 13 2008, 08:56 AM
It's annoying to know that I could have had it fixed years ago.... i was just under the impression that TMC didn't work in the UK. Oh well.....i will just pretend it's a new feature on the new car!
I had to badger my dealer until I got it working.

BMW are not very good at getting this sort of information out to customers. The BMW magazine is one way, but my subscription has been patchy in the last few years. Sometimes it mentions new options as they become available, but I feel some people would rush down to their dealer if they read if this option, or that option was now available, especially if there was a discount available for mentioning the magazine.

But this is probably best for another thread.

Simon

Quick Reply: Traffic Information in the UK?