E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Trading my e60 for a 2011 Acura TL 3.7 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012 | 06:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Roy7
+1

It's got to be the S or the Turbo, I know there's a huge price gap, but they're almost totally different cars (the Base versus S versus Turbo/GTS).

But it's still an SUV..... 80 percent of the drivers are soccer mom's....
Yes it's I tried S and Turbo, well if I was totally crazy man and my car has been payoff I would not wait a second to trade. But trade was not in the favor for me and my wife..... she would going to kill me, really, I'm not kidding. I'm still living with this idea I may wait another year or two for this trade.
Old 08-13-2012 | 07:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dingolfing
I had a 2003 TL Type-S before getting my Bimmer. That TL had a phenomenal sport-tuned engine for its day with a properly matched transaxle to go with it (even though it had a 3rd gear defect recall). I moved on to a Bimmer to experience RWD and still miss that car. The TL's stock suspension and energy-mizer tires didn't cut it, so I installed a Tein coilover system and summer tires. The car drove very lively after that. And for a 260HP FWD setup, it never torque-steered.

Honda's engines are bulletproof and that 3.7 is a beast as well. They can make some very good FWD cars and the SH-AWD setup received rave reviews from many. But I do agree the 4th-gen TL is grotesque.
Same here I had an 04 Type S and LOVED that car until my wife totaled it and I grabbed my 550. No comparison, but it was a fun car to drive and had zero issues maintenance.
Old 08-13-2012 | 01:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530i

If you're in the market, go for it.
Most of the people hear will not admit it but they hate their BMW's most of the time due to the pocket breaking effect. They buy these cars thinking they're the "ultimate driving machine" which they are...until their shady electronics (which drives the entire car) break. It causes a chain reaction around the car and most have to come out of pcoket to fix. Owning 4 bimmers right now, I can't complain much about BMW but I will never ever buy a newer BMW because I know about their electronics and the common issues they have. Going for "MORE" isn't going to help them much when they haven't rectified the problems of the past. And so the "love/hate" relationship continues for most while they sit in denial.
Old 08-13-2012 | 02:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

I wanted an Acura for a long time. I finally found the one I wanted and bought it. It was an 08 TL Type S. I bought it 2 years ago and it was a steal. One year later with 56000 miles on the ticker I had oil on the plugs and transmission problems. Luckily it was still under warranty. I had everything fixed and sold it quickly. I will never own one again. If you are looking for a new car I would go with Audi. But everyone had to learn from experience. If you want it go for it, the car you are looking at is not the Type-S so you might be safe. Do your research because they are having alot of transmission issues.
Old 08-13-2012 | 02:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
If you're in the market, go for it.
Most of the people hear will not admit it but they hate their BMW's most of the time due to the pocket breaking effect. They buy these cars thinking they're the "ultimate driving machine" which they are...until their shady electronics (which drives the entire car) break. It causes a chain reaction around the car and most have to come out of pcoket to fix. Owning 4 bimmers right now, I can't complain much about BMW but I will never ever buy a newer BMW because I know about their electronics and the common issues they have. Going for "MORE" isn't going to help them much when they haven't rectified the problems of the past. And so the "love/hate" relationship continues for most while they sit in denial.

Sadly, this is me :-( Meanwhile, my wife's '04 TL just buzzes along at 173,000 miles with the only major issue being a busted door handle. She wants the duck-billed 2013 TL. Not gonna stop her from getting it.
Old 08-13-2012 | 08:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 550i alpine white

Originally Posted by dingolfing
I had a 2003 TL Type-S before getting my Bimmer. That TL had a phenomenal sport-tuned engine for its day with a properly matched transaxle to go with it (even though it had a 3rd gear defect recall). I moved on to a Bimmer to experience RWD and still miss that car. The TL's stock suspension and energy-mizer tires didn't cut it, so I installed a Tein coilover system and summer tires. The car drove very lively after that. And for a 260HP FWD setup, it never torque-steered.

Honda's engines are bulletproof and that 3.7 is a beast as well. They can make some very good FWD cars and the SH-AWD setup received rave reviews from many. But I do agree the 4th-gen TL is grotesque.
u r just like me. 03 tl-s to e60 550 here.. although i loved the fricken tl i'd never go back LOL
Old 08-14-2012 | 09:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by Rgortex99
im thinking of trading my e60 528xi for a acura tl. what you guys think
Ugliest car, ever. :thumbsdown:
Old 08-14-2012 | 11:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Ugliest car, ever. :thumbsdown:
Sigh...I tend to agree. Yet, wifey wants to drop $47k on this duck-billed thingamobile. But...it does drive pretty nicely, especially compared to her existing TL, and handling with SH-AWD isn't shabby. Granted I haven't had a chance to bring it to the brink (or go much beyond 90 on the test drive), but it's NOT a bad car mechanically. And it has a sh*t load of wiz-bang gagetry. Well, if she gets this, I'm gonna push the issue on a 2011 or newer 535 (or 550 if I can pinch the budget a lil bit).
Old 08-16-2012 | 10:06 AM
Senior Members

The new TL AWD is a phenomanal car. The new redesign has really made the car look appealable and with a few cosmetic mods it looks very sexy. A couple of my friends have it and I will upload some pictures for you to see.

I had a 528I before and now have a new 12 A6, my daily driver has always been a 08 TL. I never intended to get a Tl, I had actually gone to buy a 08 328xi but the car had sold and I bought the Tl on impulse.

It's powerful car, yes mine is FWD so I installed coilovers and bigger swaybars and my car handles awesome. Stock form the TL out handles the E90 non sport package and the C300 and A4.

However the MPG is awful. I get 19 combined and I got 25 in the 528I.

I like my TL I plan on keeping it until next spring. Most likely going to get the new 328 or A4.

Btw Audi quality is not good. Bought my A6 brand new in June, 2 months and 4200 miles later both front seats have been replaced and so has half the dash.
Old 08-16-2012 | 11:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Bought my A6 brand new in June, 2 months and 4200 miles later both front seats have been replaced and so has half the dash.

SAY WHAAAAAAA???? DAYUM, what happened?

Quick Reply: Trading my e60 for a 2011 Acura TL 3.7 AWD