E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

trade in my 545 becuz of probs??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005 | 12:50 PM
Members

Thumbs up

Guys (and a couple Gals)-
posted a couple times anonymously here, enjoy the forum and need some help (actually your opinion). I?m in California and have a 04 545 step, sport etc. question is do you think I have a leg to stand on to demand (or maybe politely ask) for a new car / heres the deal:

8 months old about 8,000 miles and a total of 16 days in the shop (well short of the 30 days in 18 months lemon law). 11 separate problems all the usual items reported here abs sensors, door seals, steering, tranny slam (still not perfect even with 17.01) engine vibration etc. scheduled for another visit for door seals and engine vibration (some fixed some not) / dealer is great (I honestly believe they are trying their best) / called BMW relations today spoke with a very empathetic operator that admitted that was a lot of days / they called the dealer / came back on the line and asked what I wanted to do? ?was I looking to get out of the car? I responded I simply wanted to know what my options were, they said visit the dealer again and lets go from there. Again love the car, dealer is great im just starting to feel dumb for putting up with all this.

So what do you think, on the next visit tell the dealer along with BMW that I want to trade the car in and see what they come back with? I think that would be the best option I love the car (and would get another / maybe order a 550??) it?s just that I think this one has too many gremlins? What do you think the next move should be. just put up with it or get a new one
Old 07-18-2005 | 01:17 PM
Members

I was in the same place as you a few months ago when my dealer offered to do a trade assist. They gave me a great deal on the trade-in of my 2004 530 for a 2005 530. I basically paid for mileage and not much else. Ask if that is a possibility, especially if you like the car.
Old 07-18-2005 | 01:22 PM
Contributors

Go for Lexus GS430! or wait for 550i.
If you want reliability, go for GS430. If you want performance, go for 550i.
Old 07-18-2005 | 01:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Jul 18 2005, 02:22 PM
Go for Lexus GS430! or wait for 550i.
If you want reliability, go for GS430. If you want performance, go for 550i.
[snapback]150413[/snapback]
Oh I am brand loyal dont want anything other than an E60 just want one with fewer problems / I don't think reliability in general is the issue I think I may have just happened to aquire an E60 that, for whatever reason, has more problems than it should / im trying to gauge (by the responses here) whether the number of problems I have had over my term of ownership is reasonable or not / I think a trade in may be my best bet as long as they don't stick it to me when it comes to the numbers
Old 07-18-2005 | 04:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

If your dealer is willing to work with you and give you a good deal I dont see why not. What are the chances of getting two horrid cars in a row?
Old 07-18-2005 | 05:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Orient Blue/Beige interior 545i: Cold weather pkg, Nav system, Premium sound, Sport Pkg, satellite prep, 30% smoke tinted windows all around, waiting for my euro red reflectors and umbrella!

If you like the car I say go for the trade assist. I have had to take my car in 4 times now, and if the problem recurs, I think I'll push the trade assist too.
Old 07-18-2005 | 08:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

trade assist ... is the way i went.

i ordered the car with a few more options ... all i paid for was list price on the aditional options ... if i wouldn't have gotten anything else .. it would've been a straight trade NO MONEY OUT OF MY POCKET.
Old 07-18-2005 | 08:37 PM
Senior Members

You guys in the USA are so fortunate. The BMW dealer in Singapore don't even want to know what trade assist is about. We have to sell our own cars when we get new ones; even when facing problems like 545 Driver's.

I'd say go for the trade assist. Get an M5 instead since the pricing is not too far off.

A car that gives you problems like engine vibration, tranny slam, etc; in short, engine problems, is not worth keeping. Quickly get rid of it like you would a hot potato.
Old 07-18-2005 | 08:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Jul 18 2005, 09:37 PM
You guys in the USA are so fortunate.? The BMW dealer in Singapore don't even want to know what trade assist is about.? We have to sell our own cars when we get new ones; even when facing problems like 545 Driver's.

I'd say go for the trade assist.? Get an M5 instead since the pricing is not too far off.

A car that gives you problems like engine vibration, tranny slam, etc; in short, engine problems, is not worth keeping.? Quickly get rid of it like you would a hot potato.
[snapback]150549[/snapback]
WHo would be willing to buy your car then? It would be soooooooo hard for me to sell car without dis closing the problems... I might ahve to pay someone to do it for me.
Old 07-19-2005 | 02:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jul 18 2005, 10:41 PM
WHo would be willing to buy your car then?? It would be soooooooo hard for me to sell car without dis closing the problems... I might ahve to pay someone to do it for me.?
[snapback]150550[/snapback]
Sad to say, we have only two options here.

First is to sell to a used car dealer and make him rich. He'll just blame the previous owner for problems found by the new owner.

Second is to sell it ourselves. If the new owner complains after a few days, then point them in the direction of the dealer - since the car is still under warranty.

Quick Reply: trade in my 545 becuz of probs??