E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPMS question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading here
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html#speed

and this pragraph attracted my attention

The hidden down-side of current TPMS.
TPMS sensors need power to work. All the current sensors use batteries. Whilst these are rated for about 5 years use, or 250,000 miles, the batteries are not replaceable in any system. The manufacturers don't want a battery cover to come loose and start zipping around inside your tyre. For one it is dangerous to the inside of the tyre and for another, if the battery compartment opened, the battery would come out and you'd lose all sensor data for that wheel. As a result, the batteries are built-in to the sealed unit during manufacture. If you get a dead sensor, you need to buy a whole new one. Also, you know what batteries are like in extreme cold and extreme hot - bear that in mind if you regularly park in snow and ice....

Does anyone know how does the TPMS system fitted to the E60 works, and if the above paragraph applies to it.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

There are basically two types of TPMS'

The system fitted to most E60's is the "cheaper" version that use the ABS sensors to monitor each wheel rotation, and compare it to the opposite corner wheel rotation. Any significant difference (equating to about 30% deflation) and you get an alarm.

The more expensive system, as fitted to some later E60's actually has sensors in the wheel (and batteries!)
Mr. Renault has been using this system for some years, and owners have serious problems getting tyres replaced.

IMHO, in this instance, cheaper is better!
Old 01-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

Sorry OP I dont have an answer for you I'm cluless with the trm lol.... But does anyone know if you get new 20" wheels will the TPM still work?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

I THINK (and I stand to be corrected here) that if you have just an alarm, then it's the original type, and you can change wheel sizes OK, with just the normal iDrive "reset". If you have a display with individual pressures of each tyre, then there is definitely a sensor in each wheel.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by sideeffects' post='385939' date='Jan 31 2007, 02:20 PM
Sorry OP I dont have an answer for you I'm cluless with the trm lol.... But does anyone know if you get new 20" wheels will the TPM still work?
The 2007 cars have indivdual sensors (FTM=no sensors, TPM=sensors) so if you get 20" wheels, make sure you install sensors before mounting the tires...
Old 01-31-2007, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

Originally Posted by the-oneil' post='385934' date='Jan 31 2007, 11:13 AM
I was reading here
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html#speed

and this pragraph attracted my attention
The hidden down-side of current TPMS.
TPMS sensors need power to work. All the current sensors use batteries. Whilst these are rated for about 5 years use, or 250,000 miles, the batteries are not replaceable in any system. The manufacturers don't want a battery cover to come loose and start zipping around inside your tyre. For one it is dangerous to the inside of the tyre and for another, if the battery compartment opened, the battery would come out and you'd lose all sensor data for that wheel. As a result, the batteries are built-in to the sealed unit during manufacture. If you get a dead sensor, you need to buy a whole new one. Also, you know what batteries are like in extreme cold and extreme hot - bear that in mind if you regularly park in snow and ice....

Does anyone know how does the TPMS system fitted to the E60 works, and if the above paragraph applies to it.
the new sensors (07 US model) is mounted inside the wheel through the valve stem.
i also think the battery is sealed inside (don't remember seeing a battery compartment when I tried to put sensors in my new wheels), although it's not a big deal to get them replaced ($40 each). It's just a hassle to have to remove the tire to access the sensor. Not sure how the battery life is, but it's just additional maintainance cost to have to change out sensors due to dead battery. I think the sensors is relatively new so that it's hard to see how long they really last. As Rudy says, if you install new wheels, just need to make sure sensors are put into the new wheels before mounting the tires. Make sure your new wheels valve stem hole is as big as the OEM wheel and have a flat sitting surface, otherwise the sensor valve stem may not fit. I heard that you can strap the sensor onto around the wheel to make that work, but haven't tried that yet. Any details of these sensors, me and monacobmw can tell you all you want about how these sensors fits (do a search of sensors with my user name and monacobmw and you will see)
Old 01-31-2007, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

Thank you guys for all the informative replies.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:26 PM
Senior Members

IIRC in order to comply with US legislation, sensors are present on individual wheels only on US models from MY 2007. So far, all others markets use the rolling diameter/angular velocity technique.

ABC
Old 06-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Senior Members

Does anyone know if TPMS is fitted on UK LCI cars as standard?

TIA
Old 06-06-2009, 07:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kchan' post='386049' date='Jan 31 2007, 06:50 PM
the new sensors (07 US model) is mounted inside the wheel through the valve stem.
i also think the battery is sealed inside (don't remember seeing a battery compartment when I tried to put sensors in my new wheels), although it's not a big deal to get them replaced ($40 each). It's just a hassle to have to remove the tire to access the sensor. Not sure how the battery life is, but it's just additional maintainance cost to have to change out sensors due to dead battery. I think the sensors is relatively new so that it's hard to see how long they really last. As Rudy says, if you install new wheels, just need to make sure sensors are put into the new wheels before mounting the tires. Make sure your new wheels valve stem hole is as big as the OEM wheel and have a flat sitting surface, otherwise the sensor valve stem may not fit. I heard that you can strap the sensor onto around the wheel to make that work, but haven't tried that yet. Any details of these sensors, me and monacobmw can tell you all you want about how these sensors fits (do a search of sensors with my user name and monacobmw and you will see)
Thanks Kchan for the shout out.
I did not even know that these sensors had a battery inside. I thought that the sensors were magnetic and the electronics were in the car. In any event, it really should not matter because the I-drive will tell you if your car is not picking them up.
They work with two pieces; First, there is the sensor itself which sits on the inside of the valve hole. Then, there is the stem. The two screw into each other, so that is how they form a seal with the valve hole.
As everyone said, the sensors are cheap. In fact, while many service people try to replace the stem every time they change the tires, these stems can be reused (they are metal). Thus, you would only need to replace the sensor if you really wanted to.
The sensor is only about the size of a large eraser.
You should not worry at all about these sensors. You can easily buy them at Tirerack.
The stems come in two sizes, and I think that you want to get the smaller size to match the existing size for the 5-series.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: TPMS question