E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPMS in colder climates

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone with a 2007+ E60, I would like your feedback please. Ever since it started being sooo cold in NYC, everytime I cold start my car, all 4 TPMS tell me I'm low on air. Manual inspection and pressure tell me that I'm not. A quick google search yields that cold weather does lessen the amount of air in the tires until they warm up.

Fast forward to yesterday. I purposely OVERINFLATED all 4 tires to see if the sensors themselves are acting up. Sure enough, with all wheels at 48PSI warm, the TPMS is still triggered this morning.

I am thinking of taking the car to the dealer to see if they can maybe get a new module/sensors for this, because its really irratating everytime I start the car to have these stupid warnings.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 01-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

From what I've read, this seems to be a "normal" occurrence with these cars. People learn to ignore these warnings and then get in trouble when they have real tire issues. RFTs are the reason why I will switch to another brand if BMW decides to make RFTs standard on all their cars.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Contributors

No problem with TPMS false signals on my car. Our lowest temps were in the teens. However, three weeks ago I did get an alert and one tire reported low. I adjusted by inflating tire to proper psi and rest TPMS. Later that day another alert. Pressure had dropped 7 psi ... dealer found drywall screw in tread ... repaired, reinflated ... all is good.

Rule #1 Take alert messages seriously. Remember recently another poster who didn't and chewed up a tire.
Rule #2 When in doubt - use the tried and true ... a tire gauge! VISUAL confirmations are totally misleading especially with low profile tires.

The system remembers tire pressure differentials - SO overinflating one tire may fool/trick the system into thinking the other 3 are underinflated.

The other part of the TPMS are the several antennae on the car - they can also fail. A dealer visit may be required to determine what part of the system has failed - IF it has failed.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Went through 2 winters with factory TPMS on summer tires (2007 550) with no problem. Now I am using BERU TPMS from tirreack on my winter wheels for about a month already and no problems yet.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NYC530XI' post='1088951' date='Jan 12 2010, 10:24 AM
Anyone with a 2007+ E60, I would like your feedback please. Ever since it started being sooo cold in NYC, everytime I cold start my car, all 4 TPMS tell me I'm low on air. Manual inspection and pressure tell me that I'm not. A quick google search yields that cold weather does lessen the amount of air in the tires until they warm up.

Fast forward to yesterday. I purposely OVERINFLATED all 4 tires to see if the sensors themselves are acting up. Sure enough, with all wheels at 48PSI warm, the TPMS is still triggered this morning.

I am thinking of taking the car to the dealer to see if they can maybe get a new module/sensors for this, because its really irratating everytime I start the car to have these stupid warnings.

Anyone else experience this?

Did you reset TPMS after confirming the pressure on the tires?, I believe a reset is required to register the correct pressure..
Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

No issues on my '08 550 TPMS so far, and we've had temps down to -35c already this winter. A little surprising actually, as I did experience this issue with my X3 in prior years.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ponnu' post='1089096' date='Jan 12 2010, 01:48 PM
Did you reset TPMS after confirming the pressure on the tires?, I believe a reset is required to register the correct pressure..
Yes, resets were done everytime, and the sensors corrected themselves each time. My problem is for 5 days now, the sensor is triggered every single time I start the car when it is say, 30 degrees out or less. The sensors seem to function properly, ONLY after a reset.

This can't be right. And judging by everyone's experiences, there is something wrong.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by NYC530XI' post='1089100' date='Jan 12 2010, 01:51 PM
Yes, resets were done everytime, and the sensors corrected themselves each time. My problem is for 5 days now, the sensor is triggered every single time I start the car when it is say, 30 degrees out or less. The sensors seem to function properly, ONLY after a reset.

This can't be right. And judging by everyone's experiences, there is something wrong.
Is you car still under warranty? If so I would just tell the dealer to fix the problem.
If not I would get a set from tirerack ($200) and have an independent shop put them on $60 (assuming your car does not have RFTs). The risk is it could be a control module in the trunk that is the culprit not sensors themselves.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

this is normal and happens to everyone I know where I'm from, but we get temps like -40 celcius. It happens on my parents' hondas, my nissan my friends toyota, makes me glad my bmw still uses the old abs method. Anyways long story short you either inflate the tires to the proper psi when it is really cold out and then just remember to let some air out when it warms up, or else you pay for nitrogen fill and don't worry about it because nitrogen has less shrinkage then air. This is the exact reason why I argued a little while ago in a didn't thread about nitrogen filled tires, and that the nitrogen does serve a purpose. Now personally on my murano I just filled it to the correct psi when it was cold out because I'm too cheap to pay for nitrogen. My buddy put nitrogen in his toyota tundra and it seemed to have done the trick, no more flat tire warnings when its really cold out.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='1089160' date='Jan 12 2010, 03:20 PM
Is you car still under warranty? If so I would just tell the dealer to fix the problem.
If not I would get a set from tirerack ($200) and have an independent shop put them on $60 (assuming your car does not have RFTs). The risk is it could be a control module in the trunk that is the culprit not sensors themselves.
Ya, still under factory warranty. I've already called BMW and told them the issue, and they said to bring it in. I'll be making an appointment as soon as my schedule permits.

I'll post back to see if its something wrong with the module etc.

Thanks for the input.