E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPM (tire pressure monitor) Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On order: 2007 550i, silver gray, black leather, anth. maple trim, active cruise, heated steering wheel, sport, night vision, vent seats, heat rears, active steering, rear air bags, folding seats, comfort access, navigation , HUD, black head liner, steptronic, premium sound, sirius and HD radio.

This just started happening. The other morning I went to start my car and this warning came up that the TPM had malfunctioned. I have gotten the alert that all four tires are low in the past but that was due to the cold. This was not the same message. I checked the tire pressures and tried to reset the system but it failed to reset and threw the same error message. Has anyone had this before and what was the solution? I am taking it to the dealer but their service department is terrible and I would like to give them a head start. They have a habit of promising my car back in one day and it turns into 5.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2009, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ledbettm' post='802037' date='Feb 26 2009, 08:29 AM
This just started happening. The other morning I went to start my car and this warning came up that the TPM had malfunctioned. I have gotten the alert that all four tires are low in the past but that was due to the cold. This was not the same message. I checked the tire pressures and tried to reset the system but it failed to reset and threw the same error message. Has anyone had this before and what was the solution? I am taking it to the dealer but their service department is terrible and I would like to give them a head start. They have a habit of promising my car back in one day and it turns into 5.

Thanks
I had the same issue in my 550i. It turned out that there is a control module in the trunk under the spare tire. Apparrently, some water had gotten into the trunk and shorted out the control module. They replaced it (and I believe re-programmed the car's software) and it worked fine.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:03 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='802080' date='Feb 26 2009, 09:44 AM
I had the same issue in my 550i. It turned out that there is a control module in the trunk under the spare tire. Apparently, some water had gotten into the trunk and shorted out the control module. They replaced it (and I believe re-programmed the car's software) and it worked fine.
I'm curious, what was the source of the water and is it something (because of numerous other similar posts) that is potentially problematic to e60 sedans of specific years. I have an '07 530xi and there is no indication of water getting into the trunk area even after heavy rain or washing the car.

It'd be more helpful/useful to determine the root cause (water in trunk) or you'll be replacing modules forever!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Members

This happened to me as well, but it was because a water bottle in the trunk had a leak in it. I've not heard about specific leak problems with 07 5-series cars.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='802130' date='Feb 26 2009, 11:03 AM
I'm curious, what was the source of the water and is it something (because of numerous other similar posts) that is potentially problematic to e60 sedans of specific years. I have an '07 530xi and there is no indication of water getting into the trunk area even after heavy rain or washing the car.

It'd be more helpful/useful to determine the root cause (water in trunk) or you'll be replacing modules forever!
Good point. I should have mentioned that in my reply to the original post. It happened awhile ago but i beleive they also replaced a trunk seal. I will have to go back into my files and look up the specifics.