E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPM Malfunction error

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 12:31 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I just replaced the tires on my 2007 5series and the TPM Malfunction light comes on. I hit reset TPM and it goes away. 5 min later it comes back on. Any thoughts
Old 04-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528xi

Originally Posted by pcy
why didn't BMW locate this in wheels wells? I wonder if there is a specific reason why BMW placed that module under the spare tire in a styrofoam cushion.
I got the most bogus explanation from the dealership. They said that the car is engineered to extremely exact specifications so that the vehicle is perfectly balanced. They said that the placement of those modules achieves the perfect balance of components in the vehicle.

What a crock. All of those modules weigh less than 5 pounds in total. Such a scam. I've lost all respect for BMW's customer service and customer relations.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:14 PM
Members

My Ride: None

Originally Posted by Steveo
Open the trunk pull out the spare and spare top support and find the TPM and comfort access modules in the styrofoam support.
Unplug the TPM and open it up and remove all corrosion with denatured alcohol and an acid brush. Put it back together. It is probably corroded from water intrusion.
Take both modules and reroute them to the left side of the trunk behind the panel.
Zip tie the wires. Clean up all the water in the bottom of the trunk and get a drill with a small bit.
Look in the trunk pan there are 4 nipples.
Each of those nipples is a spot where you need to drill out some adhesive to let the water drain out of the trunk.
Hold the drill at an angle and drill through the silicone (it should be very easy...do not drill perpendicular through the trunk floor, just drill the silicone).

Put everything back together.
Go inside and let the car shut down. Takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Go back outside and start it up. If it doesn't immediately see the TPM don't worry, it took mine sitting overnight.

If this doesn't fix the TPM, you might need to replace it. The part is $95 and you have to get it programmed.

Good Luck.
I just did this and my TPM Malfunction error is gone now!

I knew it had something to do with the sensor and not the TPMS attached to the wheel. Just a couple weeks ago I had a gallon of water that spilled on the trunk so it had to be the water that interrupted the receiver. I cleaned up the plugs with alcohol wipes and removed the little puddle of water in the spare tire compartment. Then I reset the TPM on the iDrive and drove a couple of miles and the error went away.

Everything is all good now -- I was about to pay discount tires on getting this fixed too. Thanks Steveo!!!
Old 04-26-2015, 11:50 AM
New Members

My Ride: is black
Model Year: 535

I just switched from winter wherls to summer... In both sets I have OEM sensors.
Now the Orange tire sign is blinking in my cluster then I'm getting TPM malfunction message in Idrive but can't reset my TPMs...
I think something happened with one of the sensors.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:05 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

How old are the sensors? Could be one has a battery that has gone dead.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: is black
Model Year: 535

To be honest with you I have no clue how old are these... I bought a set of 128s an year ago and they came with wheels.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:47 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 525i

Can someone help me identify the location of the TPM module? I have 2007 525i - I have removed the spare time and all the styrofoam supports, down to the bare metal in the trunk but I do not see any electronics? I'm pretty handy, what am I missing?
Old 10-07-2015, 03:06 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Look at the loom and modules that looks like this.

The RDC module is labeled.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:48 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 525i

Thank you - I did a deeper dive tonight and found all these things had been relocated to higher ground in the left and right side trunk panels, perhaps by previous owner or as a result of the service bulletin on the risk of water damage. This is odd because the car was only a year old when I got it. My TPM MODULE showed no signs of corrosion so now I guess I need to troubleshoot the sensors in each wheel.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:17 AM
Members

I had a bad sensor in one of the wheels that caused the same error. These sensors typically last around 10 years. Luckily I had another set of wheels that I used to troubleshoot the problem. I simply replaced one wheel at a time until the fault went away. Once it did I knew which wheel it was. I hope this helps you in some way.

Quick Reply: TPM Malfunction error