E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPM Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 05:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a "TPM Malfunction" warning on my I-Drive yesterday and then it disappeared. Happened again about 3 hours later and disappeared again. Spoke to my SA and he told me that it sometimes happens (moisture, etc.) and is not necessarily a concern if the tires are properly pressurized. He suggested I wait and see what happens.

Last night I got the warning again and this time it did not disappear. The warning light in the instrument cluster flashed for awhile and stayed lit and the warning on the I-Drive screen remained. I'm bringing the car in to be checked but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what the issue was.

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='579386' date='May 13 2008, 06:34 AM
Got a "TPM Malfunction" warning on my I-Drive yesterday and then it disappeared. Happened again about 3 hours later and disappeared again. Spoke to my SA and he told me that it sometimes happens (moisture, etc.) and is not necessarily a concern if the tires are properly pressurized. He suggested I wait and see what happens.

Last night I got the warning again and this time it did not disappear. The warning light in the instrument cluster flashed for awhile and stayed lit and the warning on the I-Drive screen remained. I'm bringing the car in to be checked but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what the issue was.

Thanks.

Did you have any liquids in the trunk? The TPM controller lives way underneath. I had to replace mine because of an overturned ice chest.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I myself had an episode with the TPM sensor this past weekend

here: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry578702

GL, keep us posted.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='579405' date='May 13 2008, 10:00 AM
I myself had an episode with the TPM sensor this past weekend

here: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry578702

GL, keep us posted.
I tried to reset the system but after about 5 minutes of the system trying to reset, the TPM Malfunction warning came on again. None of the tires are low - I measured each. Will let you know what they say at BMW Service.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ITNurse' post='579403' date='May 13 2008, 09:59 AM
Did you have any liquids in the trunk? The TPM controller lives way underneath. I had to replace mine because of an overturned ice chest.
Nope - no liquids in the trunk. The SA said that condensation could cause intermittent issues with one or more of the sensors, and it certainly is humid in Atlanta. On the other hand, this is not intermittent any more. Tried to reset the system with no success. Have an appointment for tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Did you try to reinitialize the FTM monitoring system?

I had a similar issue but the FTM would not initialize after the malfunction warning.

Software update was required in the end.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='579554' date='May 13 2008, 02:07 PM
Did you try to reinitialize the FTM monitoring system?

I had a similar issue but the FTM would not initialize after the malfunction warning.

Software update was required in the end.
Yup - I tried to re-initialize the FTM system but would not work. My guess is that I will need the software update as well unless it is a hardware related issue.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

Dealer found the issue. Apparently there was a trunk seal that was out of place (I believe they said there was a TSB out on this) that was letting water into the tire well and this caused the TPM module to fail. They put the trunk seal back in the right location (with a special adhesive) and replaced the TPM module. All is well.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i..... ex

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='585422' date='May 21 2008, 02:18 PM
Dealer found the issue. Apparently there was a trunk seal that was out of place (I believe they said there was a TSB out on this) that was letting water into the tire well and this caused the TPM module to fail. They put the trunk seal back in the right location (with a special adhesive) and replaced the TPM module. All is well.

Interesting... I have the exact same problem as of last week and it's annoying the shit out of me. I'll have to check my spare tire area and see if I have any liquids slushing around. I can't even reset my TPM in my iDrive now ugh!
Old 06-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ITNurse' post='579403' date='May 13 2008, 08:59 AM

Hi, the same thing happened to me, and they told me that there must have been some liquid in my trunk. That's what caused my TPM to malfunction, and the rest of my car went wakko. I told them that I had no liquids back there. They told me it was my fault and not covered under warranty. Did you have to pay for your replacement? or was it under warranty?

Quick Reply: TPM Malfunction