E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPM Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i M-Tech Sport Package, Carbon Black, Black/Anthracite Bamboo

Just got the TPM Malfunction warning this morning. Didn't get a chance to check the tire pressures yet but I don't think it's that since it listed "malfunction" with the symbol instead of just the symbol.

We've had some heavy rain the past few days so I checked the trunk and everything seemed dry. I guess there's been some issues with the trunk seals and with the TPM components being under the spare, water would cause damage.

Just passed 50k miles and it is CPO'd and covered up to 100k. If the TPM system or parts of it are shot, is it covered or will I be paying for it?

I've seen anywhere from $1200-$2200. Can't be the labor because it's all plug in parts unless there is coding involved and then I'm totally out of my element.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Did you try to reset it in the idrive... it will take a few minutes or miles of driving before it takes... check your tires... I was told by my SA that these TPM's get itchy in the winter when its cold and give false warnings... unfortunately the inside edge of my runflat had worn so much from the cambering that it chewed right through the tire. It looked fine from the outside of the vehicle - I would have had to get the car up on a lift or under it with ramps to see anything since it was on the inside edge...
Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-Tech Sport Package, Carbon Black, Black/Anthracite Bamboo

Originally Posted by jaycal3
Did you try to reset it in the idrive... it will take a few minutes or miles of driving before it takes... check your tires... I was told by my SA that these TPM's get itchy in the winter when its cold and give false warnings... unfortunately the inside edge of my runflat had worn so much from the cambering that it chewed right through the tire. It looked fine from the outside of the vehicle - I would have had to get the car up on a lift or under it with ramps to see anything since it was on the inside edge...
Got a chance to check the tire pressures both at cold and warm condition. They're at proper levels. Tried the reset a few times and put about 20 miles on. No change. Talked to the SA and he said it sounds like one of the antennas may be shot. Taking it in tomorrow.

When I swapped over from the winters 3 weeks ago, the SA recommended new rear tires. I know I have a bubble in one of the side walls (19" run flats) but there is plenty of tread left. No issues in the dry or wet...... only when snow/ice are on the roads and then it's definately time for the winter set up. I'm wondering if I'm having the same problem with inside wear. Going to pull the rears off tonight and check.

If that's the case, I'd have to go back to the original dealer and call them out on their claim of "new tires" when I bought the car considering most of the 8k miles I put on were with the winter set.

Thanks for the advice.