E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPM error...reset?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D
Thumbs up

So This past weekend I parked my car in my friends driveway, reversed in. The driveway is at about a 30 degree incline. Car was parked there for about 6 hours. Go to start the car and pull out and the TPM sensor goes off for left front tire (low tire pressure, yellow on the idrive). Went to the corner gas station, checked the tire pressure, pressure okay. Drove home with the sensor still on (only 5 miles). Decided to let the car sit and see how it looks in the morning. Morning comes, tire still inflated and TPM message in still on also. I decided to reset the TPM sensors (I read in the manual TPM sensors can get set-off by snow chains or traction loss/uneven tire revolutions). Figured either being parked on the incline or pulling out of the driveway might have set off the sensor. After reset everything reads fine. No more error code, all tires are green via Idrive.

So my question:

If there was truly a flat would the tire be deflatted already (been almost 48 hours)?
Should I still go to a tire shop/dealer and really get it checked out?
Was it wrong for me to just reset the TPM's? Are those sensors programmed to stock/manufacturer's numbers and will go off if not there? If the left fron tire was deflated and I reset the TPM's, would the deflated pressure be the new default normal TPM pressure?

thanx in advance....
Old 05-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I will take the no response as a good thing....
Old 05-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you hit a bump or dip or anything in his driveway? or on his way into his driveway?
Those sensors are very tricky and sensitive. When mine kept coming on in my old 535, i would go through the I-drive and reset it and it would be fine. I dont think you need to take it in unless, you feel that the car is riding different or you see a decrease in tire pressure!
Old 05-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='578702' date='May 12 2008, 11:11 AM
So my question:

If there was truly a flat would the tire be deflatted already (been almost 48 hours)?
Depends on if there was a leak and how significant it was.

Should I still go to a tire shop/dealer and really get it checked out?
No, not yet.

Was it wrong for me to just reset the TPM's?
No, as long as you reset the system after manually verifying all four tires are at the desired pressure.

Are those sensors programmed to stock/manufacturer's numbers and will go off if not there?
The sensors aren't programmed at all. They just report the current pressure to the car. If the car sees the pressure is significantly different than what it was since it was reset (or initialized), it will alert you to the low pressure condition.

If the left fron tire was deflated and I reset the TPM's, would the deflated pressure be the new default normal TPM pressure?
Yes, but obviously this would not be desireable.

thanx in advance....
I can't explain why the alert went off in the first place but right now, as long as all four tires are inflated properly and you've reset the system, just wait and see if you get any other alerts in the next few days...
Old 05-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

thanx for the advice bmwfan05 and rudy...will keep you posted...
Old 05-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Any warning since G?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ITNurse' post='579109' date='May 12 2008, 06:11 PM
Any warning since G?

Nope, none today. I stopped by the tireshop next to my work (firstone). Checked all my 4 tire pressure's. All were low by about 5 psi. Fronts were equally 28psi, rears at 32psi. The guy went ahead and put some air all 4 tires, fronts at 32psi, rears at 35psi (reccommended pressures). Reset the TPM's again and we shall see. The guy at firestone said a pothole or bump could had set it off...or backing up the inclinced driveway might have done it, but that's the most unlikely of causes. ..
Old 05-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='578821' date='May 12 2008, 02:22 PM
I will take the no response as a good thing....
Do you have any advice for me on whether to get the clear bra insalled on the hood of the Alpine White 535? I don't see much comment on the pros and cons of it. Colorado may lead the nation in windshield replacements, tire replacements and hood rock chips...thus, the idea of the extended clear bra. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by juris335' post='580199' date='May 14 2008, 08:14 AM
Do you have any advice for me on whether to get the clear bra insalled on the hood of the Alpine White 535? I don't see much comment on the pros and cons of it. Colorado may lead the nation in windshield replacements, tire replacements and hood rock chips...thus, the idea of the extended clear bra. Thanks for your thoughts!
PM sent my friend...
Old 05-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='580201' date='May 14 2008, 10:20 AM
PM sent my friend...
Gene- I never got a PM from you on the Bra. Thanks.

Quick Reply: TPM error...reset?