E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

totally fed up with my e60

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 04:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525ise, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, 18'' Runflats, Folding mirrors, Automatic/man box,parking sensers front/rear,latest addition 645ci black saphire, with everthing on, nothing it does not have.

I am totally fed up with having paid ?35,000 for a box that constantly rattles. I have had a rattle with bmw can not sort out which is under the cover where the airbag is on the door pillar. I removed this trim and found that a part of the air bag strap was flapping about. i think this is cured so far so good. Now i have from the passinger side a load creaking with is in stereo to the one from the back seat. I have checked all the obvious things but nothing. Please there must be a noice reduction expert out there???????????
Old 01-31-2006, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

Maybe you should sell it afterall.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:01 AM
Members

My Ride: ED '07 530 soon to replace my ML500 previous: '00 540i6, '98 V70T-5, '95 318i, '89 Jetta, '79 Beetle Conv.

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='232384' date='Jan 31 2006, 08:50 AM
Maybe you should sell it afterall.

I have a Mercedes and have basically all the same problems - I am coming back to BMW...
Old 01-31-2006, 05:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by 525iiiii' post='232383' date='Jan 31 2006, 08:32 AM
I am totally fed up with having paid ?35,000 for a box that constantly rattles. I have had a rattle with bmw can not sort out which is under the cover where the airbag is on the door pillar. I removed this trim and found that a part of the air bag strap was flapping about. i think this is cured so far so good. Now i have from the passinger side a load creaking with is in stereo to the one from the back seat. I have checked all the obvious things but nothing. Please there must be a noice reduction expert out there???????????
The creak from the rear may be a commonly encountered one. Try doing a search on creak on this forum to see what you turn up. Various procedures have been used for a cure if your creak is the one I am thinking of. You also could just read down the post for the last several pages. I'll do a search also. And, note that I could not understand your description of the creak area.

Here is one thread, but it refers to a rattle. You might also search on rattle and shelf. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

I had same as you & was very fed up. But now I see it as a challenge to sort it out. The dealer have had a fair chance & failed miserably, so I may as well try myself. I know for the money the car should be put together properly, but mine isnt. In fact it is far worse quality than my old 3 series. It is a nice car & drives well but has far too many quality issues. I am going to fix it if it the last thing I do, to preserve my sanity as well as my wallet!.
I'm half way there now thanks to useful tips found on this site.
My creaking from the parcelshelf area was fixed by me pushing some nylon type material between parcel shelf & leather backrest, the noise seemed to be coming from the point at which the leather was in contact with the plastic parts of parcelshelf, where seatbelts come through & the plastic bit which centre armrest touches when closed. It sounds primitive, but my local dealer did not fix it in 3 visits. Good eh.
Now i'm focused on the rattle which seems to be front passenger area!!. Im sure this started after i drove 10 miles at low speed on punctured RF tyre. I think the shock on punctured RF made the car shake itself apart!
I have lubricated all contact areas on dash, added tape to glove box catch, wd40'd everything, checked all plastic bits around seats are tight, happens if glovebox & cup holders are opened or closed. No loose bits under the bonnet. I will not be beaten !!. I may have to ask a (close)friend to listen to the dash with a stethoscope while i drive over a slightly bumpy surface to make it happen. I'll see if i can get one on ebay,
stethoscope that is, not a friend!. Do BMW only develop cars to be driven on billiard table smooth roads?.
I'm not normally a miserable old so & so, I'll be ecstatic when I get it sorted.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMWJIMT' post='232410' date='Jan 31 2006, 03:31 PM
stethoscope that is, not a friend!. Do BMW only develop cars to be driven on billiard table smooth roads?.
The quality of German roads puts ours to shame
Old 01-31-2006, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

I have to say I love my car but it does have interrimittant rattles/squeaks also - same as everyone else - back seat, passenger seat, glove box - does not bother me too much - just turn the radio up

But what amazes me is the 2001 Olds Alero that I had prior to the e60 had less rattles and squeaks after 5 years and 80K miles

I like the advice here though, I will look at it as a challenge
Old 01-31-2006, 10:19 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to buy Lexus?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:33 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

I know this is too obvious, but I'll throw it in anyway.

Do you have leather?

The seats are a snug fit to the centre arm rest and leather rubbing in plastic creaks.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by 525iiiii' post='232383' date='Jan 31 2006, 08:32 AM
Yes rattles are annoying, but its not the end of the world. If you're thinking of selling the car, then you're really overreacting. All cars, no matter the price, can develop rattles.

Quick Reply: totally fed up with my e60