E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Torque for Android and ELM327

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:32 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all....i am not sure where this thread goes.

Well I decided I wanted an affordable way to monitor engine as well as to clear and read any DTC Codes. A lot of great reviews from the Android world for Torque and it's ability to provide live data. The app is only $5 and the ELM327 can be had for ~$20 shipped to your door! Not a bad deal right? At the very least a DTC reader for only $25.

Well that's about all the fun I am going to have with this app and setup. I will data log in a bit; thought my laptop had BlueTooth but it doesn't . So I will be buying a remote Blue Tooth USB hub tomorrow. And there were some live data that I wanted to monitor that do not provide on the interface. Maybe lack of sensors. But Oil Temp, Fuel Pressure, and AFR (Already have wideband but was curious) did not register any readouts. Was saddened by Oil Temp and Fuel Pressure. Was very curious. You can have live info on Bank 1 and Bank 2 O2 sensor volts; but that doesn't really mean much to my infant mind lol. When you go to add a display; it does clearly highlight in green which displays are obtaining live data from the OBD II port; so it does eliminate guess and check.

What is cool, Intake Temp, Coolant Temp, and even boost seemed pretty close. Boost gauge was off on vacuum...but pretty close while in boost. Showed me 11.5-11.8 when mashed on the gas. That seemed suprising to me. Coolant temperature was nice to see. Car warms up much faster than I thought. Seemed in 5 minutes I was up to 180*. Mind you its 78 and humd when I went for a drive lol. Good old Florida.

In short; for the price its nice to have an OBD II DTC Scan tool for $25. Its "neat" to see MPH, RPM, Coolant, Intake, and whatever else I choose on a digital display from my phone. Am I going to see what my 1/8 and 1/4 mile times turn out to be through the magic of GPS and Phone sensors....duh. Do I care for it; well it wasn't my original intension of buying. It does have a ton of custom display options between graphs, analog, digital, and detail. Pretty cool to at least tinker with.

As soon as I have a datalog through the PC Software; I will post it up. Figure let you tuners decide if there is anything to the data that can be pulled. I thought I was datalogging; however turned out it was just GPS information and not data through the OBDII lol.

EDIT: YOU CAN DATA LOG STRAIGHT THROUGH THE PHONE. NEED TO SELECT WHAT DATA. I DID A LOG BUT GOING TO POST IT UP WHEN I RECORD ALL DATA AVAILABLE THROUGH THE DEVICE.

-----My friends have been using torque for about 6 months.

For 25-30$ it's a heck of a deal for an obd2 code reader with the capability of realtime display.

he bought it on the sole purpose of hypermiling, it's really great to display engine load and temp. Instant and average mpg value aren't accurate enought to be used everyday.

For realtime display he should have bought a scangauge or an ultragauge as connecting the phone everytime he is using the car is bothering him, the phone's battery can't last more than 2 hours doing it also.---
Old 06-19-2014, 05:47 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: bmw3

I bought the best price from the french official website,it spend me €14.00.if you want ,you can visit:

WIFI ELM327 Wireless OBD2 Auto Scanner Adapter Scan Tool for iPhone ipad iPod.

Last edited by linxuan; 03-22-2015 at 05:41 AM.