E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Torn - Should I keep the car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read up a lot on AS before letting the indy shop do the alignment (with the correct equipment of cours.) Some dealerships even send their cars to wheel and tires shops to do alignments. As long as the steering angle sensor and the total angle sensor on the rack are properly calibrated any place can do the alignment.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that the dealership has some sort of weight set that they use to make sure that Active Steering is matched up to the alignment. I believe that's what one of the SA told me. I'll check with an indy shop and see what they have to say.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by X3forNow
I didn't have them do any of the other repairs. I agree that I could have done better on the crankshaft sensor. I didn't even haggle them. I was rattled by the $5k quote I suppose! I did get a free car wash and a coffee though.
By any chance are you in Chicago? if so did you go to Fields BMW? lol Car wash and coffee is why i am asking

As stated though, these prices are way over-inflated...at $250/hour it's easy to rack up a bill
Old 02-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i MSport
Model Year: 2010
Engine: S54

Originally Posted by turboawd
my front sway bar leaked a little. turned out one of the hoses connected to it came loose slighty due to the movement. if this were the case with yours also, the dealer would not just tighten a loose hose, as they make more money to just replace the whole sway bar. get it checked out elsewhere, or look at it yourself.
Same thing happened to me. All I had to do was tighten the fittings a 1/4 turn. Run away from this dealer.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by L337E60
Same thing happened to me. All I had to do was tighten the fittings a 1/4 turn. Run away from this dealer.
Thanks for the heads up. I need to get under the car and see what's what.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:14 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

$89 to rotate tires?!?!? LULZ....
Old 02-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
You are correct. Active Steering can only be aligned by your BMW dealer.

If you did not have AS, then you could have an indy do the alignment.

This is misinformation. Don't repeat what you hear just because you hear it often and think it's the truth. This is the problem, people simply love to repeat without any knowledge.
I have DD and AS on my car and I have the vehicle aligned elsewhere for $99. You just need to do the alignment and calibration in a specific sequence.

Thanks for the heads up. I need to get under the car and see what's what.

The best thing to do is simply check in out yourself. I don't know what kind of vehicle you have (enginewise) so I can't stay but a camshaft position sensor is really a 10 min job anyway. As far as leaky hose....what BMW, VAG, MB doesn't leak? ALL GERMAN CARS LEAK. Matter of fact most people do not even know but it's not an oil pan gasket leak that they have but oil seeping from the bolts. Take an engine out and look at it. Completely under-engineered cars with no attention to long term detail. suspension is great, but as far as overall design, not the best...but then it is a 50/50 ration on that. Some people get lucky and some don't. I may drive my car to 150K mi and still on original alternator, water pump, expansion tank, etc etc.... and you may loose them all at 100K.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
This is misinformation. Don't repeat what you hear just because you hear it often and think it's the truth. This is the problem, people simply love to repeat without any knowledge.
I have DD and AS on my car and I have the vehicle aligned elsewhere for $99. You just need to do the alignment and calibration in a specific sequence.

The best thing to do is simply check in out yourself. I don't know what kind of vehicle you have (enginewise) so I can't stay but a camshaft position sensor is really a 10 min job anyway. As far as leaky hose....what BMW, VAG, MB doesn't leak? ALL GERMAN CARS LEAK. Matter of fact most people do not even know but it's not an oil pan gasket leak that they have but oil seeping from the bolts. Take an engine out and look at it. Completely under-engineered cars with no attention to long term detail. suspension is great, but as far as overall design, not the best...but then it is a 50/50 ration on that. Some people get lucky and some don't. I may drive my car to 150K mi and still on original alternator, water pump, expansion tank, etc etc.... and you may loose them all at 100K.
Achtung, it's a 550i Sport
Old 02-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Achtung, it's a 550i Sport
Ok so then you have an N series motor right? better than the 545i but I still I hate them and will never buy one because it's a pain to work on. 6 or 8 cylinder. However you need to get your vehicle properly diagnosed with BMW software because you may have an eccentric shaft sensor issue and I believe on the car you have 2. It is not a hard job but time consuming. If you know for sure that's the issue then you can take your time and feel confident. In any case you'll still need software to make adjustments after it/they have been replaced.