E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Torn - Should I keep the car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn - Should I keep the car?

On my last trip to the dealer I had to drive in on limp mode. It turns out that the crankshaft speed sensor was broken. Well, when the service advisor brought the ticket back to me he also notified me of the following:

Mechatronics Seal - Transmission Harness Seal $640.87
Sway Bar Replacement (Active Stabilization) $2380.89
Power Steering Hose/Line: Pressure line off pump w/resonator $961.46

Apparently, they found leaks in all of these areas. I've never replaced the transmission fluid and I'm at 88k on a 2007 550i Sport. He said they didn't need immediate repair, but they may be upcoming. They also suggested an alignment ($299) and rotate the tires ($89!!). The car is just about paid for, but I'm afraid of some huge repair bills. I'm very handy, but I'm not sure which of these I can tackle.

Prior to this, the car was CPO and while under CPO I had the Valley Cooling Pipe replaced (pfeww!). I've also already replaced the battery and the idrive unit. I suspect that the suspension may need replacement at this mileage, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated. I bought the car with 59k about 2.5 years ago.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed, Silver Gray A08, Gray leather Mods: Hard-Wired Passport 9500ix LIVE , K&N Air + RPi Scoop, Mtech V2.1 AE, ACS pedals+Ebrake, flip up front plate, OEM 172's, Custom M Kit, M3 shift knob, Eisemann Race Exhaust 2005 X5 3.0 (the nightmare) 1998 528i SOLD @ 173K

you got raped man. find an indy shop....
Old 02-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by e60oholic
you got raped man. find an indy shop....
I didn't have them do any of the other repairs. I agree that I could have done better on the crankshaft sensor. I didn't even haggle them. I was rattled by the $5k quote I suppose! I did get a free car wash and a coffee though.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

my front sway bar leaked a little. turned out one of the hoses connected to it came loose slighty due to the movement. if this were the case with yours also, the dealer would not just tighten a loose hose, as they make more money to just replace the whole sway bar. get it checked out elsewhere, or look at it yourself.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that they are asking almost $400 for an alignment and tire rotation should tell you everything. You can get both of these done (including laser alignment) for less than $100.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Members
Senior Members

I would have an indy do the mechatronic sleeve and do a tranny service while they are in there. I would have them take a look at the other items noted by the dealer and get their opinion and a price quote. A reputable indy will tell you that you probably don't need half of the stuff the dealer mentioned.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 540i
The fact that they are asking almost $400 for an alignment and tire rotation should tell you everything. You can get both of these done (including laser alignment) for less than $100.
I was under the impression that this had to be done by BMW since the vehicle has active steering. Is this incorrect?

As for the tire rotation, I bought the tires at Discount Tire and they'll rotate them for free. However, I'm now leaning towards keeping the car and putting some 19s on it. Possibly coilovers.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by X3forNow
I was under the impression that this had to be done by BMW since the vehicle has active steering. Is this incorrect?
Is this something the dealership told you? I'm on my third BMW and have always done the alignment at an indy shop with the right tools. I never had any issues.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 540i
Is this something the dealership told you? I'm on my third BMW and have always done the alignment at an indy shop with the right tools. I never had any issues.
Actually, Discount Tire is the one that told me that. This was after they replaced a rim that was bent by my wife! Ugh, that's another story! I'll check into the indy shop angle. I'm also going to get under the car and evaluate these leaks.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by X3forNow

As for the tire rotation, I bought the tires at Discount Tire and they'll rotate them for free. However, I'm now leaning towards keeping the car and putting some 19s on it. Possibly coilovers.
You are correct. Active Steering can only be aligned by your BMW dealer.

If you did not have AS, then you could have an indy do the alignment.

Quick Reply: Torn - Should I keep the car?