E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Took Our E60 to BMWCCA School

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='448134' date='Jul 15 2007, 03:44 PM
Excellent! How did the MINIs do compared to everything else?
There was only one MINI there, driven by a clearly competent driver. Watching that vehicle buzz around the figure eight (which puts the driver in a understeer, then oversteer situation), was hilarious. Just when I thought the little car was going to trade ends, a little twitch of the wheel for correction, followed by some throttle, and it was rocketing away to the next corner. Astounding handling, I must say!
Old 07-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='448123' date='Jul 15 2007, 03:20 PM
2) Jet - thanks for the compliment. I don't really think a 530xi w/Step is the right thing for the track. In addition, I'd probably be paying a divorce attorney if I tried to do that. I am looking now for a mid-80s 325 to turn into an autocrosser. That shows you the state of my budget...
Well sure a 4000lb isn't ideal on the track, but it beats no track at all LOL.

Besides, the BMWCCA track schools are run very safely. If you just want to let loose on the straights and take it easy through the corners, that's fine as long as you're aware of other cars passing you, etc. It really is only as risky/aggressive as you want it to be. I'd say don't rule it out yet!
Old 07-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Senior Members

Having recently done M School in Spartanburg, I understand how great it is to see how our cars handle. Esp. on the skid pad.

Sounds like a great chapter event, Herr ExGMan. Wish I had been there.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Senior Members

That sounds like fun!

Here in Australia I've done BMW Advance Driving 1 and BMW Perfection. But we didn't get to use our own cars. For AD1 we got to use 325i's, then in Perfection we got to use M3's. Full day driving on the local race track at full throttle under supervision of very experienced instructors and 1 x racing champ. We did timed slaloms and even tried our hand at drifting in the M3's Despite doing 720 spins and throwing the car into the dirt numerous times the instructors kept on smiling and laughing and telling us to "do it all again" it was awesome. It was good that we didn't use our own cars as we really thrashed the shite of of the cars they provide

I highly recommend it if it is available in your country. My next BMW course is known as Facination 1 where it's 2 full days of race track driving where they'll cover more on racing lines, throttle and brake control etc etc... can't wait
Old 07-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by Leburpor' post='448262' date='Jul 16 2007, 12:36 AM
That sounds like fun!

Here in Australia I've done BMW Advance Driving 1 and BMW Perfection. But we didn't get to use our own cars. For AD1 we got to use 325i's, then in Perfection we got to use M3's. Full day driving on the local race track at full throttle under supervision of very experienced instructors and 1 x racing champ. We did timed slaloms and even tried our hand at drifting in the M3's Despite doing 720 spins and throwing the car into the dirt numerous times the instructors kept on smiling and laughing and telling us to "do it all again" it was awesome. It was good that we didn't use our own cars as we really thrashed the shite of of the cars they provide

I highly recommend it if it is available in your country. My next BMW course is known as Facination 1 where it's 2 full days of race track driving where they'll cover more on racing lines, throttle and brake control etc etc... can't wait
Leburpor - Damn(!), that sounds like fun. Compared to my (our) experience in NH, full-throttle acceleration, 720-spins, off into the dirt...not even close to the vehicle dynamics we experienced. I only got into a 180-degree end swap 'cause my instructor couldn't get the e-brake down due to the interference of my thigh.

I spent an hour washing the car last night (Griot's calls it "therapy"), and found that the edges of the OEM Conti tires were a little more chewed up following Saturday's experience. Better to burn a little rubber in practice to know how the car will behave in the real world, eh?