E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Took Our E60 to BMWCCA School

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Mrs. ExGMan and I had a great day yesterday when we took our 2007 530xi to a Boston Chapter BMWCCA Advanced Driving Skills School. All I can say about the car is that a day of skid pad, figure-eight, single & double lane changes, followed by an autocross validated our beliefs that this car will do its best to keep us safe, even at the limits.

The day began with a discussion of weight transfer, traction, and vehicle dynamics. Then it was out on the water-covered skid pad to learn the limits of adhesion (DSC off!), and how to control the direction of the car using throttle alone. Next up was a figure-eight course (two skid pads together) learning suspension loading and unloading. Then on to learning threshold braking, and steering and braking using full ABS...followed by single, then double lane changes. All this was capped with a small (.6 mile) autocross course designed to integrate the lessons of the day.

Highlights: 1) great instructors who offered positive reinforcement & great encouragement; 2) Cost: $85; 3) location...parking lot at New Hampshire NASCAR track, allowing some real inspiration as screaming competition road cars (Porsches, BMWs etc.) practiced 100 yards away.

Priceless moments: 1) Having the largest, heaviest car there (the only E60), and in the skid pad almost catching up with a well-driven E36 M3 (I guess it was the AWD traction...certainly not skill), and 2) having Mrs. ExGman say at the end of the day..."this is one hell of a car we've got!"

Other vehicles present besides our E60: Many BMW three series, 1990 to the present, including one E30 M3, BMW X3, Saab 93, Mazda RX-8s, Mini Cooper S, Acura Integra, Mitsubishi EVOs.

Recommendations: 1) Join the BMWCCA now (if you haven't already), 2) once you've joined, start participating in Chapter activities, and 3) at a minimum take the ADSS school, or its equivalent at your Chapter, and send your teenagers to the teen driving school.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Thanks for the write up J! I'm going to look into this ASAP! I wonder if it matters that I changed out the suspension on my car... Regardless, this is someting I need to do, esp with the wife.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='448060' date='Jul 15 2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the write up J! I'm going to look into this ASAP! I wonder if it matters that I changed out the suspension on my car... Regardless, this is someting I need to do, esp with the wife.
I can't imagine that the suspension change would hurt at all...we were running in a large parking lot area without any high or low spots, so no one's spoilers, body parts, etc. were scraping the ground. I did forget that there was a brand-new Z06 Corvette participating (major oversteer issues displayed), and his front spoiler was about an inch off the pavement when the suspension was fully loaded in the skid pad.

As to the wife, mine initially described this to our friends as "he's making me go to school." After it was all over, she said it had "put her way outside my comfort zone" but that she learned a lot. The X3 driver was a woman who had been sent by her husband, but also agreed it was a good thing.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:05 AM
nmc
Members

My Ride: On order 530D Platinum Bronze/Natural Brown Comfort seats,sunroof,PDC, Nav pro,Aux In,Xenons, Alarm, tinted glass. ETD 27.06.07

Wonderful stuff. Does that BMW - em the European, nay German, car offer anything like that for its Eupopean customers?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Nice writeup!
Now take the next step and take it to the track with the BMWCCA!
Old 07-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the nice write up. Were you required to don helmets? And how fast were you allowed to go on the course?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E1142860' post='448090' date='Jul 15 2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the nice write up. Were you required to don helmets? And how fast were you allowed to go on the course?
NMC, Jet , and E114...To answer your questions: 1) I don't know if BMW backs any European clubs the way BMWNA has a relationship with the BMWCCA. I think the BMWCCA was started 'way back when by a group of Boston-area BMW fans, and it has grown from those early beginnings into its present incarnation. I'm sure some other BMWCCA member of longer standing can provide the answer, but I think that BMWNA has an arms-length relationship with the BMWCCA. The best example of that relationship is that BMWCCA will give $500 to $1500 to a member of the BMWCCA who buys/leases a new or CPO BMW. The member has to have been a member for at least a continuous year, with no break in membership. You can get all the details here: www.bmwcca.org. If you decide to join, it would be helpful to me in the membership drive if you put down my number (374235) on your application.

This ADSS had no apparent sponsorship by BMW. It was a Boston Chapter event, and was staffed by volunteers who have an interest in helping the less-experienced drivers learn the ropes.

2) Jet - thanks for the compliment. I don't really think a 530xi w/Step is the right thing for the track. In addition, I'd probably be paying a divorce attorney if I tried to do that. I am looking now for a mid-80s 325 to turn into an autocrosser. That shows you the state of my budget...

3) E114..Helmets were not required. An ambulance was standing by all day (diesel engine idling from 8AM to 4PM when I was there), but the event organizer advised that it's there for every such event, and has never been used. I think the top speed anyone hit was maybe 45 or 50 mph (and that would be a guess). I think I was going faster in the lane-change event than I was in the autocross, mostly because the longest straightaway in the autocross was maybe 50 to 60 yards before an entry to the skid pad, or a hairpin turn or slalom was required. I think the Corvette had the fastest acceleration of the day, but am not sure. No one had a radar gun...and I never felt unsafe.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='448123' date='Jul 15 2007, 08:20 PM
An ambulance was standing by all day (diesel engine idling from 8AM to 4PM when I was there...
Rapid response versus CO[sub]2[/sub] emissions... interesting tradeoff...

ABC
Old 07-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Excellent! How did the MINIs do compared to everything else?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

nice write up. sounds like an awesome experience

Quick Reply: Took Our E60 to BMWCCA School