E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

took my baby to the stealership tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright so i posted awhile ago about surging when i start it up. Its continued to do it pretty consistently. so i called Husker BMW in lincoln. I hate the salesmen at this dealership but i figured they are so close i should give the service dept a shot. i have typically gone to omaha to markel bmw. Omaha is 45 mins both ways and gets annoying to deal with.

The problem:
-when i start the car and rpms drop and then surge up and down between 1k-2,500. It does this right away when its in park and if i shift it in reverse fast enough it will still do it and shoot my car back. it also sometimes idle's kind of rough.

i took it to them tonight so they can get the first start in the morning and try to get it duplicated. Omaha dealership could never get it to happen because of the 45 interstate drive. Anyone have any idea what it could be? i was thinking something with the throttle body or maybe the maf sensor? I dont know a lot about cars but talked to a friend of mine who went to tech school. anyone have this or know what it could be? Hope to hear from them in the morning...i need to get my car back because i got a little weekend project and hopefully a pleasant surprise coming to me next week as well.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 550i, with all the bells and whistles!!

So this only happens after a cold start? Sounds like the computer controlled choke is outsmarting itself, or in other words a bad sensor or something. When you took it to Omaha did they hook it up to the computer to check for any codes?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sleeper50' post='891171' date='May 26 2009, 10:18 PM
So this only happens after a cold start? Sounds like the computer controlled choke is outsmarting itself, or in other words a bad sensor or something. When you took it to Omaha did they hook it up to the computer to check for any codes?
i dont know for sure but i know they did a software upgrade so i would think they would have. i was thinking sensor too.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Maybe the magnaflow?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Contributors

maybe jrowe put sugar in your gas tank
Old 05-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='891191' date='May 26 2009, 10:35 PM
Maybe the magnaflow?
it did this months ago. it isnt the muffler or the k&n filter.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='891193' date='May 26 2009, 10:39 PM
maybe jrowe put sugar in your gas tank
Bwahahahaha.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I'm gonna go ahead and predict that this issue will take some time to resolve. I see multiple trips to the stealership in connection with this in your future, Brett. Not happy about it - as I'm sure, neither are you - but it sounds like one of "those things". Are your dealer's mechanics, like, really good? Would you say they are very compitent around your car? I don't know exactly what's causing the problem, but I can tell that something like this requires a trip to a well-experiecned BMW mech... come to think of it, why don't you drive your car out to NYC, I'll introduce you to the SA's at the BMW of Manhattan - this dealership is actually factory-owned, so they get things DONE and while they're fixing your ride, we can discuss that lemonade stand business
Old 05-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='891257' date='May 26 2009, 11:47 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and predict that this issue will take some time to resolve. I see multiple trips to the stealership in connection with this in your future, Brett. Not happy about it - as I'm sure, neither are you - but it sounds like one of "those things". Are your dealer's mechanics, like, really good? Would you say they are very compitent around your car? I don't know exactly what's causing the problem, but I can tell that something like this requires a trip to a well-experiecned BMW mech... come to think of it, why don't you drive your car out to NYC, I'll introduce you to the SA's at the BMW of Manhattan - this dealership is actually factory-owned, so they get things DONE and while they're fixing your ride, we can discuss that lemonade stand business
lol, we'll see tomorrow. i have some paint ready for my car and i need it this weekend.

hopefully it isnt anything major!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='891272' date='May 27 2009, 12:57 AM
lol, we'll see tomorrow. i have some paint ready for my car and i need it this weekend.

hopefully it isnt anything major!!!
Just don't worry - its all gonna work out

more importantly, what are you painting already?

Quick Reply: took my baby to the stealership tonight.