E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is it too late?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First post, looks like a great forum.

I purchased a CPO E60 about three months ago. I was washing the car by hand yesterday for the first time, since I bought the car I had taken it to a car wash. While washing it I notice the rear bumper paint has metallic flakes. This is odd because the rest of my car is jet black. You can't really see the difference unless the car is in direct sunlight and you are very close to the vehicle. The only explanation for this would have to be the car was in an accident prior to me owning it. Since this was a CPO car and salesman mentioned nothing of it maybe being in a wreck, is there something I can do. Or has it been too long to bring it up as a concern. It has also been at the dealership for other electrical problems, three times in less than three months of ownership. What do you guys think?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

It happens sometimes where bodyshops accidentally blemish the exterior and get stuff repainted. I've had this exact scenario happen before to my other cars. Suspected party will deny everything. I have a feeling BMW NA is going to blame your body shop, but good luck trying!

Edit: I meant sometimes mechanics accidentally blemish a car. I misread that you took your car into the dealership for repairs. I thought you said mechanic. My bad!
Good luck talking to your dealer about the mismatched paint. Worth a shot, worst they can say is no.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='469339' date='Sep 14 2007, 12:28 AM
It happens sometimes where bodyshops accidentally blemish the exterior and get stuff repainted. I've had this exact scenario happen before to my other cars. Suspected party will deny everything. I have a feeling BMW NA is going to blame your body shop, but good luck trying!
What do you mean my body shop? I have not touched the car since I bought it, I have had it less than three months. This is the way I recieved the car when I purchased it.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Sorry to hear this.
Welcome to the best e60 forum in the world and have fun too
were did you get the car from a dealer?
If so tell the dealer and get them to fix it.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='469356' date='Sep 14 2007, 10:11 AM
Sorry to hear this.
Welcome to the best e60 forum in the world and have fun too
were did you get the car from a dealer?
If so tell the dealer and get them to fix it.

ME too

Welcome to the forum, and good luck
Old 09-14-2007, 03:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Even buying a new BMW, let alone a CPO, does not mean that the car has had no body shop work. Cars occasionally get dinged in transit and they are repaired at the VPC. The VPC body shops in this country, have to be the best in the US. If you lease a car, you can have body shop work done on your car and it does not void the lease. It is required to be done by a BMW approved/trained body shop. I would talk to the dealer about the lack of a paint match that must violate the CPO specifications. However three months is a long time after purchase. To have a rear bumper repainted in Chicago by BMW approved body shop is approximately $300. If done properly the bumper will look like new.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:09 AM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

It is pretty common on CPO cars for the dealership to paint the bumpers to make the car look like new. There is a form that discloses this. It doesn't mean there is any body damage, or that the car has been in a wreak, they just like to take out all the little nicks and rock chips. It seems that maybe the dealships's body shop used the wrong paint color on your car.

I would take the car back to the dealer and point this out to them. Look carefully at your paperwork and see if they disclosed that they painted the bumpers. If they did disclose that they painted the bumpers, you can build a logical story on what happened. Three months is sort of a long time to notice this, but they might repaint the bumpers for you. At worst, maybe they will do it for a discounted rate.

If they want to repaint it for you at the regular rate, I would take it to another dealership to have it done and let them know that your paid work is going to go someplace else.

Whatever happens, good luck, enjoy your car, and welcome to the forum.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:33 AM
Contributors

The time to go back to the dealer should start from the date of "discovery."

We should not be favoring concealment as a way of doing business (even if it is standard in the business).

If this happened to me, and I found a three month old car flaking, I would be horrified.

It should be the dealer's burden, not the customer's, to go through the trouble.