E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

tone heard when opening driver door when car asleep

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i titanium grey 6 speed manual with light grey interior. Nav, L7, cold weather, sport, sat. Modifications: suede headliner, pianno black interior trim, Ipod dock, Mtech front bumper, Angel Eyes, and flat black kidney grills.
Red face

Originally Posted by wassy' post='610571' date='Jun 26 2008, 09:47 AM
the previous 2 posts are pretty warm. Dreamshop might be onto something. i was playing around all night with the door, having to wait about 10-15 minutes between each little attempt. felt a vibration at base of mirror simultaneous to noise. now, this could go all the way back to one of the first replyer's idea with the mirrors, but I'm leaning toward the AMP sounds and sending some signal through the speaker on opposite end of mirror.

To try and see if it is the speaker, I'd have to have my fingers on the inside when opening, so I rolled down window a few hours ago so I can stick my head through and listen. problem is, with window open, I can't reproduce sound.

I think the right thing to do at this point is to remove the interior panels, window, motor and any electronic connections. also will remove all window moldings, mirror and speakers. I'll drive around like that for a while, then let the car go to sleep, and see if the noise is somewhere else. Hope it don't rain! :-)

Seriously, probably something along the lines of the AMP because they are actual tones, not mechanical sounds if you know what I mean. Will keep you posted.
Hold on a minute! First of all what I said about the mystery sounds relates to cars with the logic 7 amp. The hi fi system might be different, I do not know. Anyway before you take apart the car why don't you just open the trunk and reach in the left rear panel and unplug the L7 amp to see if I am right. This will not trip any error messages and can be done with no tools. I included a picture of my L7 amp for you, keep in mind that sometimes BMW mounts the amps upside down as well so the plug could also be on the bottom. (The fiber optic cable does not need to be unplugged, just the power/speaker wire plug)
Attached Thumbnails tone heard when opening driver door when car asleep-l7_amp.jpg  
Old 07-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thedreamshop' post='610952' date='Jun 26 2008, 09:53 PM
Hold on a minute! First of all what I said about the mystery sounds relates to cars with the logic 7 amp. The hi fi system might be different, I do not know. Anyway before you take apart the car why don't you just open the trunk and reach in the left rear panel and unplug the L7 amp to see if I am right. This will not trip any error messages and can be done with no tools. I included a picture of my L7 amp for you, keep in mind that sometimes BMW mounts the amps upside down as well so the plug could also be on the bottom. (The fiber optic cable does not need to be unplugged, just the power/speaker wire plug)

Sorry! I missed this last post way back when. I will definitely try this. it very well may be that. so now, let's say it is - then what?