E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

tone heard when opening driver door when car asleep

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

titles sounds odd, but has anyone at all experienced anything like this? I open my driver door when car is sleeping, and from the door jamb, dash area, there is almost always a short tone. it isn't the abs brakes pumping up, or any of that, this is not a mechanical sound but one generated by some sort of speaker. sometimes, it sings a little with a few longer and shorter tones for a few seconds.

I noticed this afternoon, that I can reproduce after about 5 minutes of sitting.

sound vaguely familar to anyone?
Old 06-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Alpine white

Originally Posted by wassy' post='610004' date='Jun 25 2008, 04:43 PM
titles sounds odd, but has anyone at all experienced anything like this? I open my driver door when car is sleeping, and from the door jamb, dash area, there is almost always a short tone. it isn't the abs brakes pumping up, or any of that, this is not a mechanical sound but one generated by some sort of speaker. sometimes, it sings a little with a few longer and shorter tones for a few seconds.

I noticed this afternoon, that I can reproduce after about 5 minutes of sitting.

never heard the sounds that you are describing..I wonder what it is
Old 06-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wassy' post='610004' date='Jun 25 2008, 04:43 PM

first of all, OMG, y so many car changing in 4 years. must feel good to drive all those cars.

back to topic, i "might" know wht ur talking about. i think its one of ur side mirrors. are u closing then opening them.is it that when u get this sound. a few seconds after u close of open them
Old 06-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bteljuice1' post='610035' date='Jun 25 2008, 05:51 PM
first of all, OMG, y so many car changing in 4 years. must feel good to drive all those cars.

back to topic, i "might" know wht ur talking about. i think its one of ur side mirrors. are u closing then opening them.is it that when u get this sound. a few seconds after u close of open them
First, I know OMG! I think it's called IMPULSIVENESS! LOL. forgetting the recent accident car, I'm lately averaging about 18-20 months with cars, in the bigger picture.. there was a spurt of rapid changes but that's a whole other chapter.

Thanks for the suggestion, but this is triggered by opening the driver door. the mirrors aren't really moved by me at all. the sound seems to be coming from behind the light switch in the left side of dash (left drive cars..) immediately upon the door being "ajar". sometimes, it makes more than 1 blurb, up to 2 or 3 or 4. sounds odd, it's even tougher to put into words obviosuly! LOL.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Contributors

sorry no clue.

all i can say is, CHANGE UR CAR, its hunted. GET another one.hahahaha
Old 06-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Contributors

If it's the same sound I've heard, it should be your NAV DVD drive.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Contributors

let me try and clarify a little further. It happens so fast, you won't make it into the car. basically, if I stand to right side of mirror and open door, i hear the tone from the left side of dash, behind the light switch. that's literally the extent of it. haven't started car yet, haven't even sat yet. now, once in a while, it still makes noise for about 7-10 seconds, on and off. then it's finished. it's the oddest thing.

Must be an anomoly, will try and troubleshoot some more.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i titanium grey 6 speed manual with light grey interior. Nav, L7, cold weather, sport, sat. Modifications: suede headliner, pianno black interior trim, Ipod dock, Mtech front bumper, Angel Eyes, and flat black kidney grills.

Originally Posted by wassy' post='610004' date='Jun 25 2008, 01:43 PM

The Logic 7 amp wakes up when the doors are opened. This makes some strange sounds since there is no audio signal being sent to it from the radio yet. I noticed this on my vehicle during the installation of a new amplifier when I tried using a signal sense turn on lead from the amp output. The solution was to use a delay circuit off of the ignition key; otherwise those mystery noises get amplified even louder.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by wassy' post='610100' date='Jun 25 2008, 05:17 PM
let me try and clarify a little further. It happens so fast, you won't make it into the car. basically, if I stand to right side of mirror and open door, i hear the tone from the left side of dash, behind the light switch. that's literally the extent of it. haven't started car yet, haven't even sat yet. now, once in a while, it still makes noise for about 7-10 seconds, on and off. then it's finished. it's the oddest thing.

Must be an anomoly, will try and troubleshoot some more.
I have heard a noise which I believe is similar. I assumed it was a relay or solenoid to put the car to sleep after a period of time so there is no residual battery drain, or to wake it up when you open the doors. The only time I hear it is when the car is in the garage.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:47 AM
Contributors

the previous 2 posts are pretty warm. Dreamshop might be onto something. i was playing around all night with the door, having to wait about 10-15 minutes between each little attempt. felt a vibration at base of mirror simultaneous to noise. now, this could go all the way back to one of the first replyer's idea with the mirrors, but I'm leaning toward the AMP sounds and sending some signal through the speaker on opposite end of mirror.

To try and see if it is the speaker, I'd have to have my fingers on the inside when opening, so I rolled down window a few hours ago so I can stick my head through and listen. problem is, with window open, I can't reproduce sound.

I think the right thing to do at this point is to remove the interior panels, window, motor and any electronic connections. also will remove all window moldings, mirror and speakers. I'll drive around like that for a while, then let the car go to sleep, and see if the noise is somewhere else. Hope it don't rain! :-)

Seriously, probably something along the lines of the AMP because they are actual tones, not mechanical sounds if you know what I mean. Will keep you posted.

Quick Reply: tone heard when opening driver door when car asleep