E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires, Tires, Tires...so many choices....

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been doing some research on tires over the last month or so. My conclusions are I doubt I need to go too the extreme of PS 2's and the others that are in that realm of.....Oh my GOD how much.....your sleeping on the couch tonight....blah blah blah. Bottom line kicking the RFT's to the curb even though I could get another season or two out of them.

So I'm looking at the Nitto 555 or INVO, Falken 452, and Sumitio HTZ III. Basically looking in that $600 to $800ish range. From reading reviews and reports I just got a hard time spending the extra $400 or so to get into the next level as many of them don't seem too perform out any better and in alot of cases actually seem like a lesser tire based on reviews.

Couple questions..........

Between the INVO and 555 is there really much of overall street performance difference?? I know the treadwear on 555 is higher but real world driving is that noticable? Heard the 555's last forever(25K+), well at least by performance tire standards. Haven't seen a whole lot of long term on INVO's. I hate tires that wear like in 10-15K. Also hows the noise level as the mileage racks up?

Between all those anyone have any experience with a few of them or friends that run on them and what are your thoughts??
Old 04-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Within your list, I've only had experience with Nitto 555 (19") and Falken 452 (20").
I found both 555 and 452, at least my rear tiress, wore out about the same range - 15k miles.

Have you considered General Exclaim UHP? For your price range, this tire offer a
great bang for the buck.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='857943' date='Apr 24 2009, 06:34 PM
Within your list, I've only had experience with Nitto 555 (19") and Falken 452 (20").
I found both 555 and 452, at least my rear tiress, wore out about the same range - 15k miles.

Have you considered General Exclaim UHP? For your price range, this tire offer a
great bang for the buck.
+1 Shop TireRack for good selection, price, and survey information. Log in thru the link in my signature for additional cash back rebates!

I like the Generals on my 530xi but will still put my summer RFTs on next month and get the last 10K miles out of them.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Senior Members

If she doesn't understand the importance of quality tires she deserves a few nights on the couch

What are Pirelli P Zero Nero's running. I have had good experience with those but still like Michelins best
Old 04-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='857979' date='Apr 24 2009, 04:39 PM
If she doesn't understand the importance of quality tires she deserves a few nights on the couch

What are Pirelli P Zero Nero's running. I have had good experience with those but still like Michelins best

The Invo's would be a great choice to stay under $1000

I think that is a great tire with lots of excellent reviews on it. Its going to be my next one when my S03's run out
Old 04-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='858000' date='Apr 24 2009, 07:07 PM
The Invo's would be a great choice to stay under $1000

I think that is a great tire with lots of excellent reviews on it. Its going to be my next one when my S03's run out
Kind of leaning that way.

I know the Mich.'s are better tires but damn they are pricey. For everyday driving I just don't think I can justify the big dollar price tag. I'm not trying to take the cheap route out. If wanted to do that I grab some Nexeen for $500 and be on my way. Just through my research those listed seem to be some of the best bang for buck tires going. Just can't find much positives about any of the Goodyear and Dunlops for the most part. Bridgestone had some nice ones though.

I've have kicked around the Generals. Only thing I was slightly worried about is some people find the sidewalls to be a little mushy and the ride at times to be a little too floaty. Seems like drivers of nonsport BMW's liked them more and people of MB's and Audi's base line loved them also. Overall alot of tire for the money.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi Platinum Gray. M sport, Premium, Cold, Logic, PDC, Sirius, and Bamboo.

I just put on a set of Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics based on the test results at TireRack. After 1000 miles now , I have to say that they are the best tires that I have ever run. Grip, Handling, Comfort and Super Quiet!

Less expensive than Pirelli P Zero and Michelin PS2.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:03 AM
Members

My Ride: White 2004 545i sport

I'd go with the 555's. But i think they are Discontinuing them.... or look into Yokohama S-drives... They are a better tire and should be less $$$ than all of them IMO for everyday use/performance.

The falken's won't last long at all.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Yokohama, Nitto and Falken and even worse cheap tires...
Go for the 3/4 price and 1/2 the mileage.

I'm for high quality tires all the way.

Our cars has only four small surfaces to the road.
Is that the proper way to save money?
Old 04-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='858627' date='Apr 25 2009, 02:30 PM
Yokohama, Nitto and Falken and even worse cheap tires...
Go for the 3/4 price and 1/2 the mileage.

I'm for high quality tires all the way.

Our cars has only four small surfaces to the road.
Is that the proper way to save money?
It doesn't have much of anything to do in saving money. More of $$$$ vs overall performance. I could spend $1200 to $1400 if I wanted to. It's just when you start actually reading real world reviews or going through the test that Tire Rack does. It becomes quite apparent that just because it says Goodyear or Dunlop for example it doesn't mean its better then Kumho. Yet the Kumho's will run $300 less for a set.

Generals are very highly reguarded and rated on Tire Rack both by them and users. Yet many people think General equals cheap crap.

Many reviews have the Nitto's lasting much longer then any Bridgestone, Goodyear, or Mich. PS 2's(though with out a doubt the best tire). I've never had them. Just doing research there seems to be alot of positives about there tires.

Right now I'm lean towards the Sumitomo HTR ZIII (about 90% sure). They rank 10th overall on tire rack ratings out of about 30 tires considered max performance summer tires. Three of the tires ranked ahead of them are so new that they only have about 200K of mile from users ranking them. So pretty new overall. Head to head they beat out the Bridgestone Potenza Re050 pole position(which is an excellent tire), Conti Contact Sport 3 (another nice tire), and Yoko Advan Sport.

Quick Reply: Tires, Tires, Tires...so many choices....