5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Tires Problem or Cars Problem? (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/tires-problem-cars-problem-25496/)

jochet 05-07-2006 01:19 PM

I now have driven my 2004 545i 23,000 miles and gone through three sets of runflats. My current tires have about 6,000 miles on them and they are starting to go. When new the car rides well, but the ride detorates as they ware. My dealer and BMWNA have treated me very well each time I've brought the car in complaining of tire noise and rougher than normal ride, they have replaced the tires.

I lease my car and have another 18 months left on my lease, my question is can I live another year and a half with this situation or should I attempt to get BMWNA to either buy me out of my lease or allow me to change cars without getting killed? I think it's unreasonable to expect the owner of a $60,000 car that suffers from this type of problem. I don't except that high proformance runflat tires only last 7000 to 10,000 miles if this were the case then why is BMWNA replacing tires at no cost to us? Has anyone had a buyback with the same issue?

I'm not sure what to do, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Rudy 05-07-2006 03:47 PM

Are you using the Dunlop runflats or the Bridgestones?

vegastrashed 05-07-2006 03:53 PM

Time to buy conventional tires :whistle:

kscarrol 05-07-2006 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by jiio' post='279155' date='May 7 2006, 06:53 PM
Time to buy conventional tires :whistle:

Agreed, I'm at 23,000 miles on the non-run flat Goodyear's that came on my 2004 545. And if I had not caught a serious nail, essentially forcing me ot replace all four, I probably had another 5,000+ plus miles to go...

MaxBuck 05-07-2006 05:35 PM

I seem to be unique in that I really, really like my original runflat Dunlops. After 18,000 miles they still perform flawlessly. I may well get the same thing when they need to be replaced, which based on wear patterns is likely to be at about 30,000 to 35,000 miles.

Rudy 05-07-2006 06:00 PM

I like my Dunlops because BMW keeps giving me free ones. I'll continue that process as long as they'll keep continuing it too! :thumbsup:

vegastrashed 05-07-2006 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='279189' date='May 7 2006, 07:00 PM
I like my Dunlops because BMW keeps giving me free ones. I'll continue that process as long as they'll keep continuing it too! :thumbsup:

:lol: .... How many has BMW replaced for you? I had mine replaced and then 3 months later dropped them for conventional tires b/c of the 166 rims. :geek:

jochet 05-07-2006 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='279150' date='May 7 2006, 07:47 PM
Are you using the Dunlop runflats or the Bridgestones?

I'm using Dunlop which came on the car, do these problems only only accure on cars equipted with sports package?

Rudy 05-07-2006 07:12 PM

BMW has given me two new sets of Dunlops so I'm on my third set if you count the set that came with the car at delivery... :thumbsup:

TXPearl 05-07-2006 07:25 PM

I've been through 2 sets of Dunlops (about 6K mis. each), then they gave me Bridgestones. I finally got sick of the crappy ride of the Bridgestones and replaced them with Mich PS2s (at my cost). I'll put the Bridgestones back on when my lease runs out.

The non run flat PS2s are a world better - car finally rides like a 5-series should.

EBMCS03 05-07-2006 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='279189' date='May 7 2006, 07:00 PM

I'm STILL waiting for my free set. They're still wearing too good! 8000 ish miles on the clock and the tires are all even. BLAH!

Rudy 05-08-2006 03:21 AM

Hang in there, they usually start to become noisy around 8000 miles, give a take a grand...

amigo525 05-08-2006 03:40 AM

Any diff. between the dunlops we are talking about here and the GY NCT? Dunlop+GY are they merged?

vern 05-08-2006 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by MaxBuck' post='279185' date='May 7 2006, 09:35 PM
I seem to be unique in that I really, really like my original runflat Dunlops. After 18,000 miles they still perform flawlessly. I may well get the same thing when they need to be replaced, which based on wear patterns is likely to be at about 30,000 to 35,000 miles.

Ditto---14000+ looking at 25000+ miles.
cheers
vern

EBMCS03 05-08-2006 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='279335' date='May 8 2006, 04:21 AM
Hang in there, they usually start to become noisy around 8000 miles, give a take a grand...

OOoo Now should I be happy? Hahahhah :clap:

Tuga 05-08-2006 10:11 AM

I got 94.000 kms and i'm in the 2nd tire set.
I ordered the 3rd set last week, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A NON RFT.

aultimateE60 05-08-2006 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by TXPearl' post='279217' date='May 7 2006, 11:25 PM
I've been through 2 sets of Dunlops (about 6K mis. each), then they gave me Bridgestones. I finally got sick of the crappy ride of the Bridgestones and replaced them with Mich PS2s (at my cost). I'll put the Bridgestones back on when my lease runs out.

The non run flat PS2s are a world better - car finally rides like a 5-series should.

I like how my bridgestone rides. I like stiff ride so...

supertech 05-09-2006 12:54 PM

Ive had 3 sets replaced @ 2 different dealers in southern california. Finally went to southbay bmw and one of the master techs(esvin?) did a 4 wheel alignment on my car. this guy was good. set my ars up/ set every angle. my car rides better than it did new!

jochet 05-09-2006 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by supertech' post='280063' date='May 9 2006, 04:54 PM
Ive had 3 sets replaced @ 2 different dealers in southern california. Finally went to southbay bmw and one of the master techs(esvin?) did a 4 wheel alignment on my car. this guy was good. set my ars up/ set every angle. my car rides better than it did new!

I also had the 4 wheel alignment, unfortunately it did not prevent tire problems, good luck

jimc 05-27-2006 10:08 AM

I have a 2005 530i with sports package which included the low profile Dunlop run flat tires. After 15,000 mi the dealer replaced them after I complained about the noise. I had a choice between the improved Dunlops or Bridgestone OEM runflat tires. I chose the Bridgestone tires. They are a big improvement, although I only have about 1,000 miles on them.

Presley348 05-27-2006 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by jochet' post='279093' date='May 7 2006, 05:19 PM
I now have driven my 2004 545i 23,000 miles and gone through three sets of runflats. My current tires have about 6,000 miles on them and they are starting to go. When new the car rides well, but the ride detorates as they ware. My dealer and BMWNA have treated me very well each time I've brought the car in complaining of tire noise and rougher than normal ride, they have replaced the tires.

I lease my car and have another 18 months left on my lease, my question is can I live another year and a half with this situation or should I attempt to get BMWNA to either buy me out of my lease or allow me to change cars without getting killed? I think it's unreasonable to expect the owner of a $60,000 car that suffers from this type of problem. I don't except that high proformance runflat tires only last 7000 to 10,000 miles if this were the case then why is BMWNA replacing tires at no cost to us? Has anyone had a buyback with the same issue?

I'm not sure what to do, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

================================================== ===================

Dear jochet:

I realize what I am about to say here to you at the e60 forum, on how get excellant tread life on my 2004 e60 Bimmer, is either going against the grain or is a Cardinal sin (LOL), with BMW NA, but on my 2004 e60, I choose and purchased all four BMW OEM 71 rims the same size rims 8 x 18 and tires 245-40-18 rotated every 300 miles. :thumbsup:

Now don't get me wrong, like most here, I love the staggered aggressive different size rims and ties look of BMW's, but I bought all four same size rims and tires and purchased for $50.00 or a lifetime rotation and balancing package from Kaufmann Tire company here in Atlanta Georgia, and like I said I have mine rotated and balanced every 3000 miles for FREE which is included in the lifetime package I bought from them. :whistle:

I also fun 32 PSI FRONT and 34 PSI REAR, and thank God, I have yet replace my TOYO Proxie 4's tires, now with 10,000 miles, and about 8/32 tread left.

In conclusion as you can see I am not a Bill Gates with plenty of money to toss around, but I a big fan of most all BMW's and on Tire rotation and Wheel balancing for the life of a tire, and the way things are going I am told by my Tire store manager friend, that I should get at least 40,000 miles out of this set.

In conclusion: I hope this helps you with your abnormal tire wear problem, and I wish you the best! :thumbsup:

Sincerely,

R. Eddie Presley

NOTE:

Jeff B. my BMW Master mechanic friend tell me that you can rotate your staggered set of directional tires also, but only side to side, which means you must dismount and mount your tire off the rims every time you rotate them, which is a pain and they could scratch your rim, :devil: , if you don't watch them and their having a bad day and not careful, but you will increase your tire mileage also.

jochet 05-28-2006 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Presley348' post='288512' date='May 27 2006, 02:38 PM
================================================== ===================

Dear jochet:

I realize what I am about to say here to you at the e60 forum, on how get excellant tread life on my 2004 e60 Bimmer, is either going against the grain or is a Cardinal sin (LOL), with BMW NA, but on my 2004 e60, I choose and purchased all four BMW OEM 71 rims the same size rims 8 x 18 and tires 245-40-18 rotated every 300 miles. :thumbsup:

Now don't get me wrong, like most here, I love the staggered aggressive different size rims and ties look of BMW's, but I bought all four same size rims and tires and purchased for $50.00 or a lifetime rotation and balancing package from Kaufmann Tire company here in Atlanta Georgia, and like I said I have mine rotated and balanced every 3000 miles for FREE which is included in the lifetime package I bought from them. :whistle:

I also fun 32 PSI FRONT and 34 PSI REAR, and thank God, I have yet replace my TOYO Proxie 4's tires, now with 10,000 miles, and about 8/32 tread left.

In conclusion as you can see I am not a Bill Gates with plenty of money to toss around, but I a big fan of most all BMW's and on Tire rotation and Wheel balancing for the life of a tire, and the way things are going I am told by my Tire store manager friend, that I should get at least 40,000 miles out of this set.

In conclusion: I hope this helps you with your abnormal tire wear problem, and I wish you the best! :thumbsup:

Sincerely,

R. Eddie Presley
NOTE:

Dear R. Eddie, thats for the post, I'm not sure if this helps me or not, but I sure do appreciate the advice. I have a theory about the tire problems on e60 BMW cars. First of all I beleive cars equippted with sports package and active steering are having the most problems, these cars all came with RF tires. Secondly, I feel that earlier models like my 2004 were just not dialed in properly.

Jeff B. my BMW Master mechanic friend tell me that you can rotate your staggered set of directional tires also, but only side to side, which means you must dismount and mount your tire off the rims every time you rotate them, which is a pain and they could scratch your rim, :devil: , if you don't watch them and their having a bad day and not careful, but you will increase your tire mileage also.

mixterk 05-28-2006 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='279335' date='May 8 2006, 12:21 PM

In the UK the dealers fight like hell and deny all warranty claims. They then get the tyre rep in to have a look. The goodnews is that I got my Goodyear NCT 5's replaced under a Goodyear warranty at 8000 miles, as my rears were losing chunks of tread and cracking.

I think that my case may be the first of NCT 5 having a problem??

Evenflow545 05-29-2006 09:41 AM

I'm at 16k miles, and I've been through two sets of Dunlops, and I'm currently on free Bridgestones.

Do the Bridgestones start to howl at some point too?

speedracerF4i 05-30-2006 08:14 AM

I just got my 1st set of free tires after 15,000 miles. My original Dunlops started to hum like monster truck at 13,000 miles. I endured 2,000 miles of hell before replacing them.

I really like the safety and convinience afforded by the run-flats, so I'll still buy them after freebies run its course. The brittle ride is just a trade-off I am willing to accept.

Nova Invicta 05-30-2006 12:31 PM

Just got through reading the papers about all those manufacturers not using run-flats having cars zooming off the freeways and doing triple rolls etc.
Seriously folks run-flats maybe safer but modern tyres are not like they used to be, if you look after them & keep them properly inflated they are very safe. a straw poll recently among colleagues who are BMW & Mini owners revealed that because of run flat gauges for tyre pressure, most did not check tyre pressures as much as they used to do which is maybe a good & a bad thing because during tyre pressure checks you generally see any other issues with the tyre or rims.
BMW sicks with these awful run-flats in the name of safety compromising ride quality & inducing other tyre behaviour like tramlining.
ditch them

bmuu 05-30-2006 06:57 PM

Got my first set of free Dunlops after 9k miles. The SA had the master tech ride with me, but did not notice any unusual noise. After haggling with the SA, he replaced the tires. Thanks to this board, I am noies free...for now.

I like Bridgestone because they look good and last long. Had Potenza on my wife's Maxima and second set of Dueler HTs purchased Saturday for my Toyota truck.