E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tires for 545i Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey All,

I purchased some (used) Style 124 wheels with tires on this forum a few months ago. They had the factory Bridgestone Potenza staggered runflats. The rear tires showed heavy inner wear but drove fine, initially.

Today, while driving on the highway, the rear right tire decided to start unraveling on the inner wall. Luckily, besides some noise, the tire held up fine until I got home (safely), but this one is shot and the other rear is probably heading that direction as well.

With BMW wanting $448 + install for the replacement rear tire, I'm looking at some other options. What would you guys suggest? I'm in Dallas, TX so more summer / warm climate than cold. I'm looking to go away from runflats altogether. I found a few on Tire Rack that look good, solid ratings, and nice prices, like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS or Sumitomo HTR-Z III. I had some Sumitomo on my Acura and liked them very well for the price, minus some poor treadlife.

What would you guys suggest I look at? I think I may as well replace all four instead of messing around with 2 at a time.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:07 PM
Senior Members

Run Flats are horrible. Get the Hankook Vetus. check out discount tire.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Discount tire's price isn't a bargain anymore unless they have special going on.

Tirerack would be your best bet unless you "know" someone who works @ Discount/NTB that can hook you up w/ better pricing.

It's actually considered "acceptable" to run 2 different brand as long it's not within the same axle (you just to drive more conservative)

One thing is, check your alignment setup. BMW comes w/ very aggressive negative rear camber that eat inner tire in no time.
And don't believe BMW of Dallas' allignment spec. Last time they set the toe wrong on mine (was under warranty) and my tires didn't wear evenly.

BTW, Hello from another DFW member
Old 05-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

A fantastic and affordable summer performance tire is the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo. $170 for fronts and $185 for rears for the staggered setup on Tirerack.com. I have them. They are outstanding tires and have romped in tire comparos.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by Mavsfan2007
Hey All,

I purchased some (used) Style 124 wheels with tires on this forum a few months ago. They had the factory Bridgestone Potenza staggered runflats. The rear tires showed heavy inner wear but drove fine, initially.

Today, while driving on the highway, the rear right tire decided to start unraveling on the inner wall. Luckily, besides some noise, the tire held up fine until I got home (safely), but this one is shot and the other rear is probably heading that direction as well.

With BMW wanting $448 + install for the replacement rear tire, I'm looking at some other options. What would you guys suggest? I'm in Dallas, TX so more summer / warm climate than cold. I'm looking to go away from runflats altogether. I found a few on Tire Rack that look good, solid ratings, and nice prices, like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS or Sumitomo HTR-Z III. I had some Sumitomo on my Acura and liked them very well for the price, minus some poor treadlife.

What would you guys suggest I look at? I think I may as well replace all four instead of messing around with 2 at a time.
Try discounttiredirect.com and look at some Falken 452s! Love them and best of all you pay no taxes and they'll ship them to you work or home for free!
Old 05-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Discount Tire will match Tire Rack's prices. Just link to the page where the tire is in an e-mail to DT. That's how I bought mine.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

I have access to 30,000+ tires, Hankook, Nitto, Falken, General, Michelin, Pirelli, Yokohamas, BF Goodrich, Bridgestone, Continental, Dunlop, Goodyear for the e60. PM me for the absolute best prices. You won't be dissappointed.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:28 AM
Members

Discount Tire matched Tire Rack's pricing and got me taken care of with a nice new set of Hankook V12s. Got all four for under $800 installed and qualify for a $50 rebate.

Only drove about 50 miles on the new tires, but they already ride like a dream compared to the Bridgestone Potenza runflats. Much less road noise / vibration, smoother going over bumps, seem to handle as well or better (no real extreme driving yet, though). Only negative might be the runflats looked better, to my eye, but I'm totally happy with this setup.

Thanks for the advice, guys.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Mavsfan2007
Discount Tire matched Tire Rack's pricing and got me taken care of with a nice new set of Hankook V12s. Got all four for under $800 installed and qualify for a $50 rebate.

Only drove about 50 miles on the new tires, but they already ride like a dream compared to the Bridgestone Potenza runflats. Much less road noise / vibration, smoother going over bumps, seem to handle as well or better (no real extreme driving yet, though). Only negative might be the runflats looked better, to my eye, but I'm totally happy with this setup.

Thanks for the advice, guys.
Congrats on joining the Hankook brotherhood. Such an incredible value. I still can't grt over how much stickier and quieter they are than the OEM summer Contis. And at those prices, I won't feel guilty about scrubbing off all of the tread in the twisities in 10-12k miles like I did with the Contis.