E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012 | 06:53 AM
Members

My Ride: Black 2006 530i Premium Package, Navigation, 18in OEM Wheels, Black Leather, Wood Grain Dash

Originally Posted by dantheman1
I have michelin pilot super sports, summer only tire. They are great if dry and warm outside, great grip, no road noise. Once it starts raining, no grip AT ALL. Downright scary to drive in rain. Ditto for when temp drops below 45 deg, they have no grip at all. It's almost shocking how quickly tire grip disappears depending on temp and water. Also, my rears are down to wear bars after ~8k miles and not cheap to replace, although they do have 30k mile warranty (I think 15k warranty on rears if different than front tire sizes). I might look at all seasons when they wear out.
WOW! thats the type of info i need. I didn't want to spend 1500 for a set and have issues like that. Unfortunately its like hit or miss with some tires. I like the continental brand. I don't know how summer DW tires do but i'm gonna look into those, and the hankook, I have mixed feelings about. But hey who knows. they are decently priced.
Old 03-07-2012 | 07:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Originally Posted by John516
WOW! thats the type of info i need. I didn't want to spend 1500 for a set and have issues like that. Unfortunately its like hit or miss with some tires. I like the continental brand. I don't know how summer DW tires do but i'm gonna look into those, and the hankook, I have mixed feelings about. But hey who knows. they are decently priced.
Those are not "issues". It is just high performance summer tire characteristics. You get better grip in exchange for thread longetivity. Pure life. Can not have everything. I have just put Bridgestones re760 on my new wheels. We will see how theose will do.
Old 03-07-2012 | 11:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by John516
Check out the TireRack UHP Tire Comparison "Tests" ....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...perfType=UHPAS

Then the 'reviews' - that are writtten by drivers so there's no telling how objective they are.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS
Old 03-08-2012 | 06:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 E60 530i

Originally Posted by dantheman1
I have michelin pilot super sports, summer only tire. They are great if dry and warm outside, great grip, no road noise. Once it starts raining, no grip AT ALL. Downright scary to drive in rain. Ditto for when temp drops below 45 deg, they have no grip at all. It's almost shocking how quickly tire grip disappears depending on temp and water. Also, my rears are down to wear bars after ~8k miles and not cheap to replace, although they do have 30k mile warranty (I think 15k warranty on rears if different than front tire sizes). I might look at all seasons when they wear out.
I have the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The grip in the rain is not great, but it's not as bad as your experience. It's better than the stock Bridgestone RE050 RFT in my opinion. But when you drive through a puddle of water, it doesn't matter which brand of tires, the fact that our car is RWD will throw the car off balance. I have the Toyo C1S (not available in the US) on my E46, and they're great in the rain. But when I drive through a puddle of water, the car still loses control momentarily.

If you ever have to drive in the snow, all season tires won't help much. My friend's X5 slid in the snow with all season tires.