E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my tires are going out and the dealer says I have to buy BMW brand tires that are 500 a pop. Is this true?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

you can buy whatever tire that fits your wheel..$500 a piece? thats insane.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

For a lease return? My dealer simply measured tread remaining, no mention of a particular brand...

Edit: I see the OP has a 2007 550 w/ SP. That likely came with run flats and the dealer may require the car be returned with run flats...
Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Randuin
So my tires are going out and the dealer says I have to buy BMW brand tires that are 500 a pop. Is this true?
BMW doesn't make tires ... Are you leasing your BMW? If that's a "yes" replacement tires must be comparable to Original Equipment Tires at lease return [incl RFT if so equipped when leased] . If not and / or until then, I recommend you consider a quality brand name tire with the appropriate performance characteristics for your style of driving.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Members

Nah not a lease return, this is just them advising me to get them switched.

EDIT: Given this information, what are some other alternatives that aren't ridiculously priced?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

EDIT: Given this information, what are some other alternatives that aren't ridiculously priced?
If you've got a reputable tire shop in town, try them. I might go check out Tirerack.com for options on your 2007 550...

Edit: Plenty of lower priced options...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=54400&tab=All
Old 02-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Contributors

Popular tire alternatives include Bridgestone, Continental, Dunlops, Yoko's, Fulda, Michelins etc Your profile doesn't indicate where you are living - so you may need all-seasons or be able to get by with ultra high performance 'summer' tires. Check out the reviews on Tirerack. Their website also lists installers in your area - especially important if you're removing RunFlat Tires ... rim damage during removal and installation can be real annoying. If you wanted to use TireRack's competitive pricing to leverage your dealer's (outrageous) prices - that might work for you too.

If you shop thru the link in my signature at a lot of on-line stores you can get additional cash rebates.

You're sure to get additional personal opinions from other posters - important to know how they align with your driving style and needs.

Good luck in the hunt!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

Since you have an '07, I doubt your car still has the original tires from the factory which would have been either Dunlop or Bridgestone Runflats. First you should check if your tires are runflats and then you need to decide if you want the security, convenience, cost, and harsh ride associated with runflats. I changed out my OEM Bridgestone Runflats for Michelin PS2s, which are not runflats, because our cars are equipped with a spare tire. The ride quality improved 10 fold and I've never regretted my decision.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

I'm an all-season tire user (can't afford multiple sets of rims/rubber per season). I just bought a new set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS to replace the outgoing Pirelli PZero Nero M&S. The new DWS are awesome, they rate extremely well against the competitors, and are surprisingly inexpensive. You might want to check them out if you run all seasons.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Members

I'm in Southern California so things like Snow and Ice are not a concern at all. I actually was looking at the Continental DWS myself, probably going to make an appointment with a local tire shop nearby soonish

Quick Reply: Tires