E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 04:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed earlier in the week that my front tires have the cords showing on the inside of both front tires. The middle and outside of the tires have plently of tread. Is this inside wear typical of an ultra high performance tire or do I have an alignment problem. I would appreciate any input.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

I don't know if there is an alignment problem but I can tell you my tires wear out evenly....rears wear out twice as fast as fronts and I drive aggressively...adn my suspension setup is stock so we have the same setup...
Old 10-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Ajax545' date='Oct 27 2005, 07:36 PM
I noticed earlier in the week that my front tires have the cords showing on the inside of both front tires.? The middle and outside of the tires have plently of tread.? Is this inside wear typical of an ultra high performance tire or do I have an alignment problem.? I would appreciate any input.
[snapback]189764[/snapback]
Are your tires Dunlop run flats? Do they have less than 20K miles? If yes to both, then you may be able to get them replaced under warranty. What you describe is typical of the bad Dunlops. The wear you describe should not occur on any kind of tire if your alignment is AOK.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:57 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 27 2005, 07:45 PM
[quote name='Ajax545' date='Oct 27 2005, 07:36 PM']I noticed earlier in the week that my front tires have the cords showing on the inside of both front tires.? The middle and outside of the tires have plently of tread.? Is this inside wear typical of an ultra high performance tire or do I have an alignment problem.? I would appreciate any input.
Are your tires Dunlop run flats? Do they have less than 20K miles? If yes to both, then you may be able to get them replaced under warranty. What you describe is typical of the bad Dunlops. The wear you describe should not occur on any kind of tire if your alignment is AOK>
[snapback]189769[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, this is a problem on E60 in general (inappropriate tread wear on the inside of the tire), but may be more defined or pronounced with certain wheel/tire configurations. This is not only a problem with Dunlop runflats.

However, donv is correct: if your tires have less than 20,000 miles and you are experiencing this type of wear and/or unacceptable ride noise, BMW dealers are instructed to replace the tires free of charge under warranty. This is ONLY for Dunlop runflat tires.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 E63 AMG -- Palladium Silver/Black. Love this car but looking to switch things up to keep things fresh. 2nd AMG in a row, but toying with coming back into the BMW fold!

Had mine replaced under warranty at 15K, what a difference. Same Dunlop model, totally different ride. Much quieter and more compliant.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by das' date='Oct 27 2005, 07:57 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 27 2005, 07:45 PM'][quote name='Ajax545' date='Oct 27 2005, 07:36 PM']
Are your tires Dunlop run flats? Do they have less than 20K miles? If yes to both, then you may be able to get them replaced under warranty. What you describe is typical of the bad Dunlops. The wear you describe should not occur on any kind of tire if your alignment is AOK>
[/quote]

Actually, this is a problem on E60 in general (inappropriate tread wear on the inside of the tire), but may be more defined or pronounced with certain wheel/tire configurations. This is not only a problem with Dunlop runflats.

However, donv is correct: if your tires have less than 20,000 miles and you are experiencing this type of wear and/or unacceptable ride noise, BMW dealers are instructed to replace the tires free of charge under warranty. This is ONLY for Dunlop runflat tires.
[snapback]189772[/snapback]
[/quote]
What is it about the E60 that causes the problem? I remember reading that low inflation, but not necessarily what normally would be considered to be under inflation, might cause inside-tire wear on an E60. If not low inflation, then to what is the problem attributed, and how widespread is it? Ultimately, given what you say, I wonder if the problem actually lies with the Dunlop run flats. Is it possible that the Dunlops are just a convenient scapegoat? I guess we will find out since apparently Bridgestone run flats are on the 550is. Also, at least some seem to not be having trouble with their replacement Bridgestone run flats.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Don't mean to be an idiot but I really don't get it. So many on this forum complains about how lousy the dunlop run flats are and have so many problems. I do alot of screeching starts and stupid stuff that wears out tires fast and only reached the wear bars at 17,000 miles while other people use up their tires at lesser mileage. I assume no one drives as bad as me. Furthermore, I do not have any problems with noise whatsoever. Am I the only one??????? Only problem I have is lousy wet weather traction. I want to know if the tires on my car is the ONLY set where I have no problems
because I am planning on changing tires since they wore out already and may change to dunlops again since thats the only RF dealer have for my car. What are the chances of me getting a problematic set of dunlops???
Old 10-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 27 2005, 08:51 PM
[quote name='das' date='Oct 27 2005, 07:57 PM'][quote name='donv' date='Oct 27 2005, 07:45 PM'][quote name='Ajax545' date='Oct 27 2005, 07:36 PM']
[/quote]

[/quote]
What is it about the E60 that causes the problem? I remember reading that low inflation, but not necessarily what normally would be considered to be under inflation, might cause inside-tire wear on an E60. If not low inflation, then to what is the problem attributed, and how widespread is it? Ultimately, given what you say, I wonder if the problem actually lies with the Dunlop run flats. Is it possible that the Dunlops are just a convenient scapegoat? I guess we will find out since apparently Bridgestone run flats are on the 550is. Also, at least some seem to not be having trouble with their replacement Bridgestone run flats.
[snapback]189818[/snapback]
[/quote]

Negative camber.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Oct 27 2005, 11:26 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 27 2005, 08:51 PM'][quote name='das' date='Oct 27 2005, 07:57 PM'][quote name='donv' date='Oct 27 2005, 07:45 PM'][quote name='Ajax545' date='Oct 27 2005, 07:36 PM']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Negative camber.
[snapback]189831[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks. I suppose it could be adjusted out?
Old 10-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 28 2005, 01:15 PM
[quote name='ipse dixit' date='Oct 27 2005, 11:26 PM'][quote name='donv' date='Oct 27 2005, 08:51 PM'][quote name='das' date='Oct 27 2005, 07:57 PM'][quote name='donv' date='Oct 27 2005, 07:45 PM'][quote name='Ajax545' date='Oct 27 2005, 07:36 PM']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Negative camber.
[snapback]189831[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks. I suppose it could be adjusted out?
[snapback]190167[/snapback]
[/quote]

You know, that's a good question.

Wear on inner rear tires is common with BMW OEM setups. For some reason BMW seems to dial in alot of factory negative camber. Maybe it's to please the Road&Track, Car & Driver reviewers when they take the test mules out to the slalom course?

It's a pretty simply DIY to reduce the OEM negative camber. Just adjust the pivot-centric bolt in the control arms, loosen the nuts, rotate the wheels (but be sure to first mark the original position before turning).

Quick Reply: Tire Wear