E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tire rotation concerns

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i with Sports Package, SMG, Preimum Package, Active Steering and PDC. Titanium Silver.

Hello E60 owners,

I have a quick question (I hope) to ask here about tire rotation.

I have a 2007 530i with sports package and I've done about 6500 miles on it already. I have researched the "E60 Discussion" group on this subject of tire rotation and there are mixed responses - some owners agree on rotating them, while some don't. I know that on my car the tire sizes are the same, so I know they can be rotated. So my question is, where should I go to have them rotated? To the dealership? Or to an outside tire shop, like, America Tires? Or simply do it myself at home? What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your response(s).
Old 09-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Contributors

I wouldn't recommend rotating them. First hands experience, they drive quality won't be the same again for a long time. But if you choose to get them rotated, BMW dealer is the best place, because they can align them and put proper weights on them.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If your tires/wheels are all the same size and your tread pattern allows you to rotate front to rear (not side-to-side) then there's no reason why you can't do it yourself at home. There will be no reason to re-balance them, etc.

Now if you're talking about dismounting and remounting them to switch sides of the car due to tread pattern issues, etc., then sure, you'll have to have someone do it that can not only balance them, but treat them with TLC...
Old 09-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='339749' date='Sep 28 2006, 07:21 PM
If your tires/wheels are all the same size and your tread pattern allows you to rotate front to rear (not side-to-side) then there's no reason why you can't do it yourself at home. There will be no reason to re-balance them, etc.

Now if you're talking about dismounting and remounting them to switch sides of the car due to tread pattern issues, etc., then sure, you'll have to have someone do it that can not only balance them, but treat them with TLC...
Excellent answer!
Old 09-29-2006, 04:56 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

My main reason for rotation, is that I do not like to replace tyres 2 at a time, especially as I might change brands.

So rotation allows me to replace all at the same time, but I agree it will take a couple of thousand miles to reset the wear patterns.

As on the BMW the rears wear fastest, rotation allows me to have the least worn tyres on the rear, which is better for safety.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i with Sports Package, SMG, Preimum Package, Active Steering and PDC. Titanium Silver.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='339749' date='Sep 28 2006, 04:21 PM

Hi Rudy,
Thank you for this information.

My tires are Bridgestone Potenza's RE050A 245/40R18 93W. I also see a word "outside" on the outside eda of the tire. I wonder what this means, besides the obvious. Oh, all 4 tires are the same size (all 245/40R18).
Old 09-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by KAF' post='339909' date='Sep 29 2006, 05:56 AM
My main reason for rotation, is that I do not like to replace tyres 2 at a time, especially as I might change brands.

So rotation allows me to replace all at the same time, but I agree it will take a couple of thousand miles to reset the wear patterns.

As on the BMW the rears wear fastest, rotation allows me to have the least worn tyres on the rear, which is better for safety.
Hi KAF,
I agree with what you've written here. Thanks.

By the way, I forgot what is the pattern for rotating tires? Like, which one goes where? It would be helpful if you could let me know here. Thanks again.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:03 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

There are a lot of different opinions on this.

I simply move front to rear, same side. With a number of tyres this is your only option as they are rotationaly marked and must be fitted to rotate in the direction stated.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by KAF' post='340076' date='Sep 29 2006, 02:03 PM
There are a lot of different opinions on this.

I simply move front to rear, same side. With a number of tyres this is your only option as they are rotationaly marked and must be fitted to rotate in the direction stated.
So, what you're saying here is, these tires are "uni-directional" tread pattern? Thus can only swap the front and rear, on the same side, right?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Members

My Ride: MY06 Silver-Grey 530i, Grey Leather, Sports Package, Steptronic, Premium Package, Satellite Radio, Bluetooth (Motorola V551), Llumar Platinum Tint.

That's correct. Only move the front to the rear on the same side. I have the same tires and had them rotated a couple of weeks ago. I agree with Rudy that there is no need to rebalance them now. Perhaps during your second rotation you may want to have the balance checked.

Quick Reply: Tire rotation concerns