E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

tire rotation

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

This is my first BMW(2008 528 xi with 8000 miles) It has non-RFTs and Std 17" wheels-non sport
Does it need tire rotation ( before/at the same time of the rec. oil change / it does not need)
Old 12-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

I am guessing that all of your tires are the same size. Some of the models have a different size tire in the rear than it does in the front, cars with the Sport Package, for instance. Obviously you can not rotate the tires on those cars.
I have heard people say that BMW does not recommend rotating the tires. However, I have always rotated the tires on cars when it was possible at 6,000 mile intervals.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:43 AM
Senior Members

BMW specifically recommends AGAINST rotating tires. I believe this is in the owner's manual, haven't looked specifically in my current one but it's been there in previous years.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

Part of the reason why many car mfgs recommend against tire rotation, is because of the added confustion of 'staggard setup', and 'directional tread'.

Put simply, for staggard setups (which usually have higher end directional tires) you cannon rotate the tires.

For non-stagard setups (same rim/tire tire all around) w/directional tires, you can rotate front to back keeping the wheels on the same side of the car. This helps prolong the life of the tire.

For non-stagard setups with bi-directional tread, you can rotate front to back or in an X pattern to maximize tread life.

But again, because this is confusing for many owners (not to mention various tire/rim setup in the same model), theres far less risk (liability) for the mfgs to just say not to rotate.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Contributors

I saw the recommendation not to rotate the tires in one of the monthly mailings. With respect to identical tires, I think that the recommendation was based on balance issues and certain groves that develop in the tires based on the wheel set up.

I do not think that BMW was too worried that someone was going to take a staggered setup rear tire and place it on the front.

Overall, I do not think that anyone will really hurt anything rotating indentical tires. It is just a "recommendation," not a mandate.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

Even though they're the same size , they're still directional. So if you wanted to rotate just go fronts to back keeping the leftside the leftside and the rightside the rightside. Simple.

In order to do a X rotation you'll need non-directional tires
Old 12-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545, nav, sport, PP, cold weather

i havent rotateda set of tires since the early 60s. in some cases the tires have had over 40,000 miles on them before i traded the car in. if there's something wrong get it fixed before a tire gets worn.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

I ALWAYS "rotate"--front to back only (not cris-cross) my 4 same-size radial tires, notwithstanding the baloney in the manual. This promotes even wear (and maybe even an extra season) on snow tires. As for interval, I only do mine at start of winter season, mark them in spring and relocate the next fall.

I think the prohibition in the manual is left over from bias-to-radial transition days. To my knowledge, radials were never recommended for cris-crossing as bias-ply tires were. But front-to-back/same side, is common practice among knowledgeable mechanics and owners. I'd guess spring and fall (or ~8000 miles) would be adequate if you use them year-round.

However, that even wear will cost you 4-tires replacement, rather than rear-only pair first if left in place.

Ray
Old 04-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Contributors

Regarding tire rotation (with due caution with consideration to directional tires and not applicable to staggered wheel arrangement) - my experience.

Way back in the early days & my first BMW, I was advised to do one of two things. The independent rear suspension of BMW's sets up unique wear patterns of front v rear tires. IF I wanted to rotate tires front to back that I should do that (1) very frequently [5k miles] or (2) not at all. If (2) then I should not be alarmed to see wear patterns that are different than on my other live axle cars ... that is "normal". (e.g. inner /outer tread wear that might in other circumstances indicate improper tire pressure.)

I've done both - depending on the car and haven't really noticed any increase in tire tread life. But that may also be a function of where and how I drive.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by merklebob' post='505984' date='Dec 12 2007, 02:52 PM
i havent rotateda set of tires since the early 60s. in some cases the tires have had over 40,000 miles on them before i traded the car in. if there's something wrong get it fixed before a tire gets worn.

Although not directly relevant to this board, I agree, rotating tires is a complete waste of time and effort if properly balanced and inflated. I just got the first set of replacement tires for a Chevy Silverado which I put 116,900 miles on. NO rotation the entire time. These were amazing tires by the way Michelin LTX M/S.

Quick Reply: tire rotation