E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013
Thumbs up

Good day;

I'm looking for comments and advice while I decide which tires to buy next.

My profile: late 40's, not an aggressive driver, like to think I'm an above average driver (like 80% of the population). mostly city driving and some highways around the city. I have an SUV for winter driving but she does see the occasional bit of snow if I don't plan correctly. Like: quiet ride, good control, reasonable wear. Dislike: RF,'s noise of the current Dunlops.

I haven't priced anything yet, but I'm considering:

michelin - which I understand to be more expensive
Pilot Sport / 2 - recommended for M3 by Michelin. Very sporty. Ultra-performance.
- read comments here that they wear out fast but people really like them.
Pilot Primacy - recommended for 5 series by Michelin. Sporty but more for "touring".
- would like to know if anyone has these and can comment.
Pilot MXM4 - looks like more of an all season tire. "Performance Touring"

Continential - appear to be cheaper
contitouring contact cv95
contisport contact 2 - ssr - I've seen positive posts here about these.

Goodyear
Eagle RS-A - mentioned as a possible tire on Tire Rack. No knowledge about them

Dunlop
Sport Maxx - there are a few positive posts here on the forum
SP Sport 10 DSST - according to Dunlop, quiet, high performance

What do people recommend either from the list above or their own experience? And, how does your driving profile compare to mine?

Thanks
Old 08-26-2007, 03:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rmcd' post='462560' date='Aug 25 2007, 10:00 PM
Good day;

My profile: late 40's, not an aggressive driver, like to think I'm an above average driver (like 80% of the population). mostly city driving and some highways around the city. I have an SUV for winter driving but she does see the occasional bit of snow if I don't plan correctly. Like: quiet ride, good control, reasonable wear. Dislike: RF,'s noise of the current Dunlops.

Pilot Sport / 2 - recommended for M3 by Michelin. Very sporty. Ultra-performance.
Pilot Primacy - recommended for 5 series by Michelin. Sporty but more for "touring".

What tires did you car come with ?
My 2008 535 came with goodyear rs tires which surprised me not because they are not good tires but just because my last few german cars came with the mitchelin pilots ( 2005 porsche 911 and 2002 mercedes clk 430. I have to say that the goodyear tires are very quiet, no road noise at all. My pilot tires were loud and had to be changed every 12-15 k miles.

Goodyear

Dunlop

What do people recommend either from the list above or their own experience? And, how does your driving profile compare to mine?

Thanks
Old 08-26-2007, 03:50 AM
Members

Take a look at Kumho
Old 08-26-2007, 06:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rmcd' post='462560' date='Aug 25 2007, 09:00 PM
Good day;

Goodyear

Dunlop

Thanks
I replaced run flats on 545 with GoodYear Eagle F1 , and then with Pirelli P Zero Nero. I liked the Pirelli P Zero Nero, I am replacing tires on my wife's SLK 350 with the P Zeros and when my 550 wears out the Continentals I wil also replace them with P Zero Nero. They had long wear, silent, smooth, etc and qre priced right.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:43 AM
Members

i liked the michelin pilot sport 2 alot on my M3 very quiet long miles but whenthey show to wear they wear quick like in 1 month. i went away for one month for work and after i cam back and my wife pick me up i saw the was driving on no profile. hehehhee no she is not blond. lucky it was not raining. I had also a cheaper tire on my m3 the rubberwas medium hardness. made a lot of miles onthem but so noisy.
i want to try these pirelli hear alot of good stories from this brand.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535XI, Barbera Red with beige leather, Navigation, premium package, cold weather package, 18 inch wheels, 2007 530XI, Monaco Blue with Auburn leather , Navigation, Logic 7, premium package, cold weather package, M-Aero kit, Rear Spoiler, 18 inch 135m style wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's, AngeliBrights. 2008 650i convertible Titaniun Silver Chateau pearl leather,Gray top, cold weather package, Logic 7 premium sound, comfort access.

I switched to Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's and love them. I live in the Northeast and we see all kinds of weather especially rain when you least expect it and they are unbelievable for wet handling. You just can't use them in the winter so i switch back to my stock wheels and tires.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Members

I'm also going to recommend the P Zero Nero's. I have the M+S all-season ones and they've been excellent in all the weather I've driven in - dry, wet, snow, even ice. Much quieter than the stock Continentals and fairly cheap compared to the Michelins.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Contributors

Try General Exclaims. They are quiet, inexpensive, and they are excellent in wet weather.

You should also go to TireRack.com to assist you in the process. Thousands of individuals have provided posts on each tire. You can also find a grid that compares all tires (in the same class) against each other.

I purchased my GEs after reviewing Tire Rack.

Best,
Old 08-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

Why isn't the Michelin PS2 so popular anymore?

I always thought it would be THE E60 forum's tire
Old 08-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

I?m driving on Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31 right now. The size is 245/40 R18.
Advantages:
+ quite cheap
+ they?re quiet
+ good results in different comparisons
+ no dragging in trails (I don?t know how to say this, hope you understand)

Disadvantages
- I feel light vibrations on the first 5km in the mornings (flat spots)

I can?t say anything about thread wear yet. I have driven only this summer on them. Anyway me likes

Quick Reply: Tire recommendations