E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tire pressure...what are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 05:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

Curious if any of you have played around with the tire pressure and come up with something that you like better than what is listed in the manual. I'm running the staggered 124's so I'm most interested in what others with the same set-up have to say.

TIA
Old 06-02-2004, 06:07 PM
JDN
Contributors

I usually run with no passengers and less than 100 lbs. in the trunk.

32# front, 35# rear
Old 06-03-2004, 05:13 AM
Senior Members

Remember to use anything but the equipment at a petrol station or likewise to measure your pressure

The ideal thing is a digital device, which is very likely to be correct, and you'd always be using the same unit to measure your pressure.

-paasan
Old 06-03-2004, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

In addition to paasan's tips, don't forget that tire pressures need to be checked "cold".

If a tire is driven just a short distance, it will build-up heat and the pressure will rise.

If you have to drive the car to a gas station to get air, take pressure readings on all four tires before you move the car. Write down how many pounds each tire is low then drive to the station. Once at the station, check the pressure again before adding any air. You still need to add the number of pounds you wrote down to each tire.

For example, if your target pressure is 36psi and a tire was reading 35psi when cold, you're goal is to add one pound. If same tire that read 35 cold now reads 37 at the gas station due to the increase in tire temperature, you still need to add one pound and bring it up to 38. Once the tire cools, the pressure will be back down to the target 36.

I'm sure many of you already knew this but I figured it can't hurt to remind everyone!
Old 06-03-2004, 05:53 AM
Senior Members

Funny about petrol air gauges... I was in Australia last year with a rental Z4 when I had a flat tire warning...

Seemed like an anomily (it was) yet I stopped in at gas stations every 100 miles or so to check and see if I really did have a flat... Well suffice to say, most gas stations down under have air systems where you ENTER the pressure you want. It will bleed off excess and ensure it tops to that pressure. Checked it with a real gauge and it was always just a little off or accurate. Which you can't say at petrol stations in the US or Europe where it's LOADS off.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:18 AM
Contributors

I carry an accutire guage, check pressures weekly or more often if any trips .....its DEAD on the money (checked against a calibrated guage) and it was only ?5 in costco a few years back.....hell, it even lights up in the dark.........Hows that for good value?
Old 06-03-2004, 08:06 AM
Contributors

Depends, what colour does it light up in? Titanium Grey?
Old 06-03-2004, 10:07 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jun 3 2004, 07:31 AM
If you have to drive the car to a gas station to get air ...
Hey, Rudy, I invested in an air compressor for the shop several cars ago along with a 50' hose. Comes in handy for cleaning those other "toys," too.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Senior Members

And guess what.. just now we got one more warning about a "Tyre puncture" from the RPA. Seems none of the tyres differentiate in pressure from what they are supposed to be at - i'll have one more check now whenever the tyres cool down.

It's probably our 6th or 7th incorrect warning in just 2000-3000km - wonder how that'll be this summer on our 8000km trip Probably slightly confusing when traveling along the Autoroute and Autobahn. These errors turns the RPA system completely useless - while driving it's impossible to tell if there is an actual puncture rather than a software error.

The dealer has also tried to correct the error twice through software updates - but the error seems more like a failure in the fundamentals of the RPA monitoring algorithm rather than a HW malfunction. Anyone else experiencing frequent RPA warnings?

-paasan
Old 06-04-2004, 02:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by paasan' date='Jun 3 2004, 07:58 PM
And guess what.. just now we got one more warning about a "Tyre puncture" from the RPA. Seems none of the tyres differentiate in pressure from what they are supposed to be at - i'll have one more check now whenever the tyres cool down.

It's probably our 6th or 7th incorrect warning in just 2000-3000km - wonder how that'll be this summer on our 8000km trip Probably slightly confusing when traveling along the Autoroute and Autobahn. These errors turns the RPA system completely useless - while driving it's impossible to tell if there is an actual puncture rather than a software error.

The dealer has also tried to correct the error twice through software updates - but the error seems more like a failure in the fundamentals of the RPA monitoring algorithm rather than a HW malfunction. Anyone else experiencing frequent RPA warnings?

-paasan
One thing to try is to remove the metal valve covers and use some plastic ones.

When my car went in for upgrades, the dealer over here took off the metal ones and never put anything on the valves!! After complaining this with other things they gave us some black plastic ones. They dont look as good, but that's what i had to have cos i got RPA.

Cheers.

Kiran.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure...what are you running?