E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tire Pressure Monitors

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Yes, the (ABS-based) sensors still work with standard tires but here are a couple of considerations:

1. I just put last year's 235 45 17 snows on, and was concerned that their slightly different size/circumference might matter.

2. I was further concerned about where to set the pressures, so that they looked "equal" among all four to the sensors.

I settled on the pressures in the owner's manual for the current 17" sport fitment (28F and 34R, if I recall correctly.) While these seemed rather disperate, I went with them because they are referenced right where I can check them--on the door post. The iDrive setup for recalculating tire pressure went right through its little recalibration phase, and all is now well.

Finally, I'll note that in a recent magazine (R&T, I think) tire report, using a 3 series, they noted that the sensors took SIX MINUTES to figure out that their runflat tire had (been purposely) deflated. That is not very reassuring in my book; that amount of time, at 65 mph, will ruin that tire. But then, supposedly they aren't repairable anyway.

So, my conclusion drawn from this limited experience and magazine data is that these sensors are fairly tolerant, and thus you can (and I will) replace those runflats with regular tires at my next opportunity.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 11-29-2005, 08:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by colejl' post='204727
Originally Posted by colejl' post='204713' date='Nov 29 2005, 09:49 AM
[quote name='uny530xi' post='204711' date='Nov 29 2005, 02:46 PM']
so will the monitor still work when I install non run flat tires?
YES! But you can't carry on driving...

Yes. I still carry on though.
Yup, but you'll ruin the tyre and possibly the rim!!!
How would I do that?

Originally Posted by vnod' post='204689' date='Nov 29 2005, 01:55 PM
Hi Friends:

How do the 5-Series tire-pressure monitors work? I just realized that, having looked at my old wheels after they were removed and having looked at my new wheels before they were installed, I have no idea how the monitors work.
Twice in one day... The old chestnut returns
What does the "old chestnut returns" mean? I thought I had heard everything. I see sort of: there were two similar posts. Where does the expression come from, and what exactly does it refer to?
[/quote]
In this post, FTM, earlier today, I said 'This old chestnut'

When you asked again, thus 'The chestnut returns'!

For a description see here, it fits very well! OldChestnut!
[/quote]
I get it. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vnod' post='204770
so will the monitor still work when I install non run flat tires?
YES! But you can't carry on driving...

Yes. I still carry on though.
Yup, but you'll ruin the tyre and possibly the rim!!!
How would I do that?
[/quote]
If the pressure is lost then the tyre could come off the rim completely. Non-RF tyres aren't designed to be driven at all after lost of pressure...

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='204766
2. I was further concerned about where to set the pressures, so that they looked "equal" among all four to the sensors.
Doesn't matter as such because of the above...

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='204766' date='Nov 29 2005, 05:06 PM
Finally, I'll note that in a recent magazine (R&T, I think) tire report, using a 3 series, they noted that the sensors took SIX MINUTES to figure out that their runflat tire had (been purposely) deflated. That is not very reassuring in my book; that amount of time, at 65 mph, will ruin that tire. But then, supposedly they aren't repairable anyway.

So, my conclusion drawn from this limited experience and magazine data is that these sensors are fairly tolerant, and thus you can (and I will) replace those runflats with regular tires at my next opportunity.
6 minutes is a lot of time but if you're running RunFlats then it doesn't really matter... (Unless you're going really fast!)

If you're running non-RFs then you will feel the difference quite quickly!