E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm at about 28,000 miles and at a recent oil change the dealer said it's time to replace the tires. This will be my third set (had original tires replaced by the dealer for free at about 15,000 miles). I do not want more Dunlops, have seen good reviews of Bridgestone Potenzas and Michelin Pilot Sport and I'm leaning towards the Michelin tires. My questions:

1. would you get the summer or all season version of this tire- I live in Virginia so I do not need snow tires.

2. would you get the run-flat version of this tire or not?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

Hmmm... replacing tyres after 13,000 miles? I really hope I get more wear out of mine. I've done over 10,000 miles - I'd better look!

ABC
Old 01-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='385955' date='Jan 31 2007, 07:43 PM
Hmmm... replacing tyres after 13,000 miles? I really hope I get more wear out of mine. I've done over 10,000 miles - I'd better look!
Yes, especially with a big torquey diesel as the rear tyres can wear down much sooner than the front with all that power.
It's not unusual to go through rear tyres with that kind of mileage (depending on how you drive)
I bought a thread-depth gauge in Halfords a few weeks ago as it can be quite hard to judge the thread depth remaining just by looking at them or sticking your fingers into the grooves.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by pubsmeister' post='385952' date='Jan 31 2007, 07:35 PM
I do not want more Dunlops, have seen good reviews of Bridgestone Potenzas and Michelin Pilot Sport and I'm leaning towards the Michelin tires. My questions:
Everyone here (and other forums) is raving about the Michelin PS2 (non-runflat) as being a tremendous tyre with the E60.

If you really want to go for another RFT, the Bridgestone Potenzas are supposed be slightly better than the others (based on what people are saying)...
Old 01-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pubsmeister' post='385952' date='Jan 31 2007, 02:35 PM
I'm at about 28,000 miles and at a recent oil change the dealer said it's time to replace the tires. This will be my third set (had original tires replaced by the dealer for free at about 15,000 miles). I do not want more Dunlops, have seen good reviews of Bridgestone Potenzas and Michelin Pilot Sport and I'm leaning towards the Michelin tires. My questions:

1. would you get the summer or all season version of this tire- I live in Virginia so I do not need snow tires.

2. would you get the run-flat version of this tire or not?

Thanks for any feedback.
I've had the Michelin Pilot Sport All Weather tires on other cars (Audi A6 and Lexus LS430) and thought they were great. I live in Atlanta and don't have to worry much about snow but I do travel up north to visit family and the all weather tires were a good compromise. I believe the Bridgestone 960 AS Pole Position has better survey results on Tire Rack and cost less. You won't go wrong with either one.

Regarding run flats, my plan is to use them awhile longer and replace them with non-run flats. I'll hold onto them and put them back on the car when I turn it in at the end of the lease. Of course, if they give me problems with noise or uneven wear before that and BMW replaces them for free I may have to re-think my strategy.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Non RF normal summer PS2's seems to be the US jurys result.

About a thousand posts on this Forum says so!

Use Search!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='385965' date='Jan 31 2007, 08:06 PM
Everyone here (and other forums) is raving about the Michelin PS2 (non-runflat) as being a tremendous tyre with the E60.

If you really want to go for another RFT, the Bridgestone Potenzas are supposed be slightly better than the others (based on what people are saying)...
I'm raving, I'm raving...
Old 01-31-2007, 12:16 PM
Senior Members

The Michelin PS2 is the absolute best tire you can buy for the E60. Check out the posts on M5board.com, and you'll find the overwhelming consensus is for the PS2. You will pay a pretty penny for them though, and you should get at least 20,000 miles. I had Goodyear F1 GS-D3's on my 545, and the PS2's are much better in the dry, and almost as good in the wet. The regular Pilot Sport is not in the same league.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

PS2's. Im on my second set on the rear and about to switch the fronts again. Outstanding levels of grip and performance in dry and wet.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545, nav, sport, PP, cold weather

i put the Michelin Pilot Sport a/s on my audi tt for a late nov cross country drive. there're about the best tire i have ever got. the difference between them and the summer preformance tire was like zero.

Quick Reply: tire advice