E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A tip on squeaky doors

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my 13 month old 545 to a detailer .
Wanted a polish/wax, and the wheels waxed.
Left it with him but forgot to mention not to wax the door jams.

I pick the car up , and wouldn't you know my perfectly squeak free door jams now sound like the old wooden ship.

I have a trip coming up in the next few days and didn't relish the thought of hearing that noise in my ear for 800 miles.

I took some Dawn dish soap, a new sponge and a towel out to the car.
Opened all the doors and proceded to wash the wax off the upper door jams, whiped the felt weather stripping with dawn and sponge then whiped dry with a towel.

I left the doors open to completely air dry.

Later I drove the car and no squeaks.

I hope this undid the wax and it stays squeak free, I was amazed how both the wax so quickly caused it , on all four doors , and how fast the dawn removed it.

Just a tip I thought I would share, I'll let you guys know if it comes back.
If it does I'll opt for the new replacement weather seals.
But I don't have time to get them installed before this trip.

DR.Z
Old 10-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Thanks for the tip - I will try it.

I have been very careful not to get wax on the door jams. My original seals did not start making noise until about 15k. Then I had them replaced for the new improved doors seals and they where worse. Originally it was just my drivers door. Now it is the driver and passenger.

I had the car in for service last month and the lubed the seals - better, but they still make some noise.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -SOLD- 530i Alpine White. Sport package, comfort seat package, premium sound package, power rear shade, premium package, rear red reflectors, and adaptive headlights with xenon’s

Dawn dish soap................The good old wax stripper Thanks for sharing, I would have never thought of it.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i, navigation system, pdc, cold weather package

The exact same thing happened to me. My car was perfectly silent for 1 year until I waxed it. As soon as I drove it I noticed the rattling. At the suggestion of other members, I just put some WD-40 on the felt last week, and it's back to being silent. I heard this remedy only lasts for 3 months, and I'm fine with applying it every 3 months (it only takes 2 minutes). And btw, I already had my window seals replaced and the noise returned within 1 week. I'm interested in knowing how long the dish soap remedy lasts.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:53 PM
JC3
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 E90 335i Titanium Silver GONE - 2005 530i Titanium Grey

And to add my absolutely useless 2 cents of trivia, down under Dawn dishwashing liquid is called Fairy.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Members

That's interesting how wax on the door jams would make them squeek. I'm gonna have to remember that when I get my car waxed. Thanks for the info. I'll have to ask them to wax my wheels too.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

COOL! I'll have to try it on the other car...
Old 10-12-2005, 02:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DR.Z' date='Oct 11 2005, 04:52 PM
I took my 13 month old 545 to a detailer .
Wanted a polish/wax, and the wheels waxed.
Left it with him but forgot to mention not to wax the door jams.

I pick the car up , and wouldn't you know my perfectly squeak free door jams now sound like the old wooden ship.

I have a trip coming up in the next few days and didn't relish the thought of hearing that noise in my ear for 800 miles.

I took some Dawn dish soap, a new sponge and a towel out to the car.
Opened all the doors and proceded to wash the wax off the upper door jams, whiped the felt weather stripping with dawn and sponge then whiped dry with a towel.

I left the doors open to completely air dry.

Later I drove the car and no squeaks.

I hope this undid the wax and it stays squeak free, I was amazed how both the wax so quickly caused it , on all four doors , and how fast the dawn removed it.

Just a tip I thought I would share, I'll let you guys know if it comes back.
If it does I'll opt for the new replacement weather seals.
But I don't have time to get them installed before this trip.

DR.Z
[snapback]182852[/snapback]

Excellent! I wondered why my doorseals started to creak - it was after I waxed the car a few times. I'll try this if it starts again. (I already had the seals replaced).

I think Dawn is called Fairy Liquid here in the UK.

cheers

Shi
Old 10-12-2005, 02:20 AM
Senior Members

Good info! Keep us posted on the results
Old 10-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 (born 11/04) 525i Touring: jet black, bi-xenons, sports suspension, extended air conditioning. Retrofits: hinged cubby hole, AUX-input, generic I-Drive video interface (a.k.a. xbox-e60) Warranty repairs: software update, door seals replaced, loose aluminium trim fixed. Repairs: Self-levelling compressor.

Originally Posted by donkey81' date='Oct 12 2005, 12:59 AM
The exact same thing happened to me.? My car was perfectly silent for 1 year until I waxed it.? As soon as I drove it I noticed the rattling.? At the suggestion of other members, I just put some WD-40 on the felt last week, and it's back to being silent.? I heard this remedy only lasts for 3 months, and I'm fine with applying it every 3 months (it only takes 2 minutes).? And btw, I already had my window seals replaced and the noise returned within 1 week.? I'm interested in knowing how long the dish soap remedy lasts.
[snapback]182888[/snapback]

Me too,

Had it waxed after 6 months and the noise came next day in all four doors ! Then I let dealer to replace the seals... and silence is back. I have to be carefull and tell the waxing guy not to touch the door jams.

Quick Reply: A tip on squeaky doors